UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Planet of the Apes?

Well, Hot Toys just got the license, and they are producing Cosbaby versions. We already have Kubricks. Apparently there is strong foreign geek support for this line, so who knows? I am content with my handful of Kubricks, personally.

Well, Hot Toys just got the license, and they are producing Cosbaby versions. We already have Kubricks. Apparently there is strong foreign geek support for this line, so who knows? I am content with my handful of Kubricks, personally.

Unfortunately 'foreign geek' support isn't that strong for the Minimate line though! ;) Why is that do you suppose?

Of course, you can't all have populaces with tastes as refined as that of Americans whatdoyoudo.gif (we need this "smiley" icon!). By "foreign geek" I was mostly referring to Japan/China. Supposedly the Japanese love them some Planet of the Apes. In the U.S., there were some MEGO Apes re-released recently, I think, and Sideshow did a line a few years ago, but apart from that, I don't get the impression that there is a lot of domestic support for this stuff. But, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a kid of the 60s/70s, so I can't properly gauge the nostalgic support for this kind of thing.

Edited by karamazov80

Of course, you can't all have populaces with tastes as refined as that of Americans whatdoyoudo.gif (we need this "smiley" icon!). By "foreign geek" I was mostly referring to Japan/China. Supposedly the Japanese love them some Planet of the Apes. In the U.S., there were some MEGO Apes re-released recently, I think, and Sideshow did a line a few years ago, but apart from that, I don't get the impression that there is a lot of domestic support for this stuff. But, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a kid of the 60s/70s, so I can't properly gauge the nostalgic support for this kind of thing.

It's a very small niche-community, but they are very passionate. Too bad, really, as I truly believe (of course I'm a biased child of the 70's! :P ) that it is definitely in the top-5 sci-fi classics. As much as I'd love some Ape'mates, it would probably be a hard sell in the States. I'm hoping that HotToys does something with the license for their "snap-kits" as I've always dreamed of some 1:18 Apes. Speaking of which, Palisades Toys had these in the planning stage just before they went under...I'm still bummed! *ahem* That's your cue to chime-in MisterPL!! :lol:

I just went through the whole POTA saga on bluray (thanks to netflix) so it's been on my mind lately, lol. I don't know if a whole line would be necessary, but a box set of Zira, Cornelius, Zaias, Caeser, Aldo, Taylor and Nova might be nice.

What, no soldiers?!? Swap Aldo for Ursus (definitely more iconic "the only good human, is a dead human!") and I'd be down. Of course then I'd be crying that I don't have Brent, the Mutants, Orangutan council, Lucius, Julius, McDonald, etc., etc...

• 8 years later...

You're not alone. Planet of the Apes was the first movie franchise I fell in love with. I even watched the cartoon and TV series. Naturally I collected the Mego figures and the Treehouse. Those were good times.

It's safe to say I'd gladly add any and all Planet of the Apes Minimates to my collection.