UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST SDCC 2021 Exclusives

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Spoilers :D

Despite my omnipresence :rolleyes: on this forum I originally avoided any BSG thread for quite some time , I had every BSG 'mate release way before I'd seen an episode of the show.  What a show !

I got into the show because of the Minimates. It’s one of only 2 tv series I have watched in its entirety twice through. Such good character development and just good sci-fi 

Also, looks like Luke has these up for pre-order now. Get ‘em while they’re hot!

Hope those that want them got them and those that want exclusive to mean exclusive… I will see you at the bar. We can chat about when we got exclusives that weren’t available anywhere else like them dirty new muties, AOA, or even the “horrible” selling Alpha Flight. 

@Mattallica I hear you brother and as someone whose said far worse I have found the mute function to be really enjoyable. 

3 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Hope those that want them got them and those that want exclusive to mean exclusive… I will see you at the bar. We can chat about when we got exclusives that weren’t available anywhere else like them dirty new muties, AOA, or even the “horrible” selling Alpha Flight. 

I had my second jab yesterday & that might be slowing me down :( , I generally spot sarcasm but I am genuinely unsure what you are saying . I'm also aware that I am also perceived as being sarcastic , I can be ....& I'm not in this instance.

So here's the question ....are you saying that SDCC exclusives have been historically hard to get hold of ...or are you saying that IYO they weren't particularly elusive?  

I was going to PM question to you but if we all did that then there'd be no forum would there ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

True convention exclusives were what drove me away from collecting Playmates Star Trek line. They were produced in such low quantities and only sold at a couple conventions so obscure that I can't even recall where. All I know is that it made the hobby more frustrating than fun.

Full disclosure: I'm historically a completist. That usually only applies to figures, not packaging. Exceptions are rare since I'm an opener. Show me some really fun, clever packaging and I'll buy the product even if I already have one. This Vader figure, for example.

Lately, "exclusives" aren't necessarily difficult to get thanks to the advent of the interwebs and online preorders. But they're not what they used to be... thankfully.

7 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I had my second jab yesterday & that might be slowing me down :( , I generally spot sarcasm but I am genuinely unsure what you are saying . I'm also aware that I am also perceived as being sarcastic , I can be ....& I'm not in this instance.

So here's the question ....are you saying that SDCC exclusives have been historically hard to get hold of ...or are you saying that IYO they weren't particularly elusive?  

I was going to PM question to you but if we all did that then there'd be no forum would there ?

I also had my second jab yesterday. But what I mean is you can buy these same figures for roughly the same price on the secondary market. So to me they aren’t exclusives that add anything to the over all collections. I get they have slight modifications and some have different faces but they are Minimates… anyone can give them different faces. 

Obviously these are aimed at completionists and to people that missed out the first time.  It would have made sense to me to show off the same 6 characters just in looks we hadn’t gotten yet from the same movies but I am sure there was something behind the scenes that caused it to be this. Nothing to rage about until or if they bomb and we get told no more exclusives because they don’t sell well— except these aren’t really exclusives but reissues in a new box. 

11 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

@Mattallica I hear you brother and as someone whose said far worse I have found the mute function to be really enjoyable. 

Thanks for the support, i too enjoy that Mute button(that's just my opinion) ,but ill say  no more lest someone think  i'm making threats.

Peace

Not really sure what to say to that. There are ways to be the voice of the brand in a fan forum that are a bit more beneficial for both sides.

The same announcement could have easily been: We have some exciting reissues with enhancements that will be offered as SDCC exclusives that I hope you all enjoy! 

Explains the situation in a way that doesn’t get the fan bases hopes up but drives curiosity. But then again that’s me and I’m not into walking into chainsaws. 

thereasonsy :  

Zach doesn't make the choice of figures , he is the guy that delivers the news .  You know that, as do I & I was, perhaps,remembering ourselves, to not shoot the messenger.:thumbsup:    

I looked back on Zach's post &, from where I sit ,the 'expectation', his expectation ....was expected :D  

1. My comment isn’t about figure selection it’s about a brand ambassador entering a fans space and making an announcement. 

2. It’s not shooting the messenger for the message to point out its not a clear message. Had it been, I doubt there would be as much speculation and as much negativity toward the actual release. 

3. Since you want to talk about figure selection, You can have the same 6 figures with differences to make the figures a must have. For instance, Black Widow with red gauntlets, blue piping and blue knee pads similar to the cosplay costume that was sold would be enough of a variation to feel like an exclusive in my opinion. The figure for her in the set looks just like the original which can be easily bought on eBay. Great for new collections but not necessarily a must buy for older collectors.

4. This brings up a different problem for completionist fans. Yes, playmates 1701 idea was flawed beyond belief but these are not limited to 1701 sets. So in order to have a complete collection one must spend almost $50 bucks to buy a set that’s USP is… a box. Not a great position for anyone especially since this leads us to. 

5. being told exclusives don’t sell well at conventions which is why we don’t get them consistently. Except, this isn’t an exclusive… it’s a reissue in a new box. It’s nuanced but if they don’t sell through I can already hear the “well, we tried”  speech.  All of this could be cleared up by level setting the expectations clearly. “Not sure…” was typical DST baiting given their last two announcements were “actually” unexpected. 

Edited by thereasonsy

Pretty sure I'm muted to thereasonsy, but I apologize if I did not give a clear explanation of what to expect. The exclusives are shared with Diamond Comics, and they/the retailers were making the announcement, so it wasn't really my place to explain what they were in any detail. I didn't really have to say anything, but I wanted to give a heads-up they were coming and maintain an element of surprise. I think the mystery sustained the excitement, and only delayed disappointment from certain parties by a week or two. Seems the complaint is that I didn't disappoint people sooner. But no one told me to come here and get everyone psyched up, I came on my own because I like you guys. 

And apologies to any completists who have qualms about springing for new versions of characters you already have. I'm sure it's not new to anyone who collects Minimates (hello Iron Man), but hopefully the improved tampos -- and yes, the plastic and cardboard -- make it worth it. 

Edited by DSTZach

I think if DST can find a way to get us more of the types of releases we are hoping for, re-do's will be less disappointing. 

If these exclusives are a step in that direction, then I will put my money behind them in hopes it leads to more of the types of releases I am looking to get in the future.  This has been my main motivation for being a "completest", buy the stuff I am less excited or ambivalent about to support the brand in hopes I get the stuff I am excited about. 

It's been a really rough 3-5 years though, and I speak only for myself when I say I'm ready for my patience and support to pay off.

Mute button !  All this time &.....who knew ?   

I'm smiling broadly as I recall several ...er..one or two incidents where I have lost my patience with Minimates, DST officials, fellow-members being pricks , fellow-members implying that I might be a prick(the very thought ?),other pricks * , Moderators (....obviously not TBT), the weather , unpainted FF characters , flavour of the day Gold promos, *Digger, occasionally myself & just about anything I fancy moaning about.

I've actually spent hours typing (with my regulatory 2 fingers),my generally, venomously witty ,often hilariously sarcastic, responses to the occasionally half-witted numpty who has rattled my cage with some inane banal drivel ................only to find it all gone AWOL the following day .  Deleted from history .:D   

My point ?  I wouldn't change a thing .

buttheadsmute ?:no: 

4 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Mute button !  All this time &.....who knew ?   

I'm smiling broadly as I recall several ...er..one or two incidents where I have lost my patience with Minimates, DST officials, fellow-members being pricks , fellow-members implying that I might be a prick(the very thought ?),other pricks * , Moderators (....obviously not TBT), the weather , unpainted FF characters , flavour of the day Gold promos, *Digger, occasionally myself & just about anything I fancy moaning about.

I've actually spent hours typing (with my regulatory 2 fingers),my generally, venomously witty ,often hilariously sarcastic, responses to the occasionally half-witted numpty who has rattled my cage with some inane banal drivel ................only to find it all gone AWOL the following day .  Deleted from history .:D   

My point ?  I wouldn't change a thing .

buttheadsmute ?:no: 

I surely didn’t. I got the pro-tip after packing all my things and swearing this place off for good. I also regret nothing but have found it far more enjoyable. 

7 hours ago, youbastards said:

I think if DST can find a way to get us more of the types of releases we are hoping for, re-do's will be less disappointing. 

If these exclusives are a step in that direction, then I will put my money behind them in hopes it leads to more of the types of releases I am looking to get in the future.  This has been my main motivation for being a "completest", buy the stuff I am less excited or ambivalent about to support the brand in hopes I get the stuff I am excited about. 

It's been a really rough 3-5 years though, and I speak only for myself when I say I'm ready for my patience and support to pay off.

“Never say never!” Honestly, I reached my limit and paying almost 100 bucks to get two sets of things I already own without enhancements is it. I’d much rather spend that on Luke’s sale this weekend or on my growing Marvel Legends collection. 

I would never encourage someone to buy something they don't want in the hopes that they will get something they DO want, but we at DST certainly appreciate all the support we have received from this community. Will the success of these two sets lead to new sets in the future? Maybe. Will they lead to a variety of new and exciting characters? I don't know. 

But I think support for the line has paid off in the past, even the recent past. Support for regular waves have resulted in a LOT of fan-targeted waves, including (IMHO) 79, 80 and 81, all of which were/are half-new characters (YMMV). And support for the movie figures at Walgreens have led to new movie/TV sets with new characters, including Black Widow and Falcon/Winter Soldier. We'll see where the animated sets are going, but hopefully that support will lead to more good things. And we are actively looking at doing things on the website that will be fun and worthwhile for collectors.

I have to wonder if DST's Marketing or Sales has encountered customers who've said, "Yeah, I'd love to give Minimates a try but there are so many." If Marvel Minimates needs a convenient jumping-on point for newbies, in the absence of "Greatest Hits/Best of" assortments, this is an appropriate alternative. 

Still, how many of these characters are continuing in the MCU? Black Widow seems to be Nat's swan song, especially after the events of Endgame. The Captain America, Iron Man, and (arguably) Hulk mantles have been passed on to others. Hawkeye's getting a Disney+ series but Thor's the only one who's getting another movie and it's not really his movie.

I know this is a safe SKU for DST to offer. The characters are popular and it requires minimal investment from a product standpoint. The draw will be the cool packaging, which will make a nice 9th anniversary commemorative piece. 

More frequently with consumers, it's "What are MInimates?" and "They still make Minimates?" but anything that can get more retailers (B&M and online) to stock Minimates and put them in front of customers without fear of pegwarmers will help reverse that. I think these sets are that.

Yes, popular characters should be readily available for folks just jumping on the bandwagon. The Avengers certainly qualify. A Hell's Kitchen set (The Defenders plus Punisher and Hellcat) might. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a Sinister Six offered like this. 

2 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Yes, popular characters should be readily available for folks just jumping on the bandwagon. The Avengers certainly qualify. A Hell's Kitchen set (The Defenders plus Punisher and Hellcat) might. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a Sinister Six offered like this. 

I think every toy line has experienced FOMO at some point although I think the secondary market that exists now makes it different than the hey days of the 80s when it was nearly impossible to get a figure if you missed it first time around. That said best of and greatest hits were fun ways of offering product that came with new features/accessories so it felt like a must have. I would think avengers campus in LA would be a great home for them and also Islands of Adventure. 

Defenders may be a tough sell given they don’t have media pushing them forward at the time and the boxed Netflix sets allegedly didn’t do great. I still love my Jessica Jones set and alllll the stuff that came with it. I remember Luke had an amazing exclusive Spider-Man Foes set and I was shocked it didn’t sell out instantly. 3,000 units if I recall correctly. Some of my favorite villains came from it. 

Some of my favourite villains would come with 'my' wishlist box set , I have a long-term wish to be involved in a fan-boy (albeit old fan-boy) box set .  I'd invest $$$ but i get to pick the figures & only one would be a re-run ... an AIM guy ....obviously.      Seems a bit harsh to me that Luke had to sign up for 3000 sets now that a 1000 run, SDCC exclusive has been announced !   

Zach ,should I now be encouraged to formally pursue a 1000 run fan-boy box-set ?

Edited by buttheadsmate