UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Alien™ Franchise

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2020 at 4:00 PM, MisterPL said:

That said, I feel bad for Dark Horse. First Star Wars and now this.

I know it was all the way back in 2014 when Disney acquired Star Wars, and transferred the comic license to Marvel but there's still some salt left in the wound from that one. Dark Horse made some truly brilliant Star Wars comics back in the day, and even as good as some of the newer Marvel runs have been, to me it still doesn't quite stack up. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking

On 7/5/2020 at 8:50 PM, OvenproofBug6 said:

I know it was all the way back in 2014 when Disney acquired Star Wars, and transferred the comic license to Marvel but there's still some salt left in the wound from that one. Dark Horse made some truly brilliant Star Wars comics back in the day, and even as good as some of the newer Marvel runs have been, to me it still doesn't quite stack up. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking

I've started tracking down a lot of the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff recently, and I really couldn't agree more. Especially with how many series got cut off by the license changeover before they could provide satisfying conclusions.

15 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I've started tracking down a lot of the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff recently, and I really couldn't agree more. Especially with how many series got cut off by the license changeover before they could provide satisfying conclusions.

Ooooh, don't get me started on those series. Dawn of the Jedi had a ton of fun, wacky potential, and was just an all around fresh concept and I think it maybe most of all out of those series was hurt the most by being condensed to 3 short story arcs especially after all the plot threads it seemed the first and second ones had introduced. Wood's OT series set between ep. IV and V was decent, if anything the one complaint I'd have is that the writing for Luke's character felt pretty far off, and it too was hurt by having to wrap all the loose threads in a single story arc. I have yet to read Legacy II but am interested solely is a follow up to the original Legacy series that I loved so much. 

My general opinion since Marvel had taken back over has just been that a lot of it hasn't felt fresh and new to the Star Wars universe, nothing really testing the limits of Star Wars storytelling; something I think Dark Horse runs like Dawn of the Jedi, or Legacy, or Tales of the Jedi, or even Dark Empire really tried to do, with varying degrees of success. I'm optimistic with the High Republic coming (even though it's been delayed) to spice up Star Wars comics a bit.

I'd be interested to see what Marvel does with these newly acquired licenses and if they plan to produce some Alien, Predator or Terminator ongoing or miniseries in the near future. I'm a big Alien fan, and could see myself picking up a new Alien comic, having never read any of the old Dark Horse stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I know Eaglemoss has larger scale vehicle that you build over the course of a subscription. This doesn't appear to be one of them.

As for Minimates, I'm pretty content with DST's APC. We do need that Dropship, though. Does Lanard offer one yet?

• 3 months later...

Yeah. There were designs at C2E2 one year. It looked great.

Stupid [s]tru[/s] criminal investment group practices and their bankruptcy 

Edited by Onyx_6
Strike through doesn’t work?

7 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

Hopefully one of the things they do is start paying Alan Dean Foster the royalties they owe him for Star Wars and Alien franchise novelizations.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/20/star-wars-writer-alan-dean-foster-says-disney-owes-him-royalties/

I'm so happy to see this signal boosted here #DisneyMustPay 

On a side note, I can't see why there haven't been packs of minimate Aliens and Predators together, but I imagine there must be a good reason. Is the greater "Alien vs Predator" licence a wholly separate, perhaps unacquired third entity to the Alien/Predator licences DST presumably still holds perhaps? I'm curious.

I feel like mates for the two ill fated films are a missed opportunity considering the ease of re-using parts (they have already mastered and moulded aliben$, predators, eggs, huggers, bursters etc) and the obvious evolution that is packing repaints/reissues of both creatures together. I could see two four packs, one for AVP one for requiem, with say, two Xenos and a predator in one then vice versa in the other, and some sort of (hopefully easily licensed, perhaps even faceless goon) humans to fill out the ranks.

Hell, I wonder if they are in any way prohibited from just making an Alien vs Predator two pack of minimates, akin to how McFarlane and later NECA did. I'm no lawyer but perhaps not even necessarily directly tied to/licensed as any part of the AVP video game/comic/films...

My main line of thinking is, the two intergalactic terrors in question probably have more fans between them than either would individually, and both are near perfect army builders. Of course, this is a slippery slope. We're only an endoskeleton pack in away from Alien vs Predator vs Terminator lol food for thought tho

Edited by SignatureChoice
clarity/accuracy

Prior to The Acquisition™, the AvP license was a separate agreement. Since then, I'm not so sure. It seems like it would fall under the same Disney umbrella (technically it does) but Lucasfilm and Marvel still handle their respective properties.

I've no idea who's handling Terminator now but that's another franchise that I'd like more Minimates from.

11 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Prior to The Acquisition™, the AvP license was a separate agreement. Since then, I'm not so sure. It seems like it would fall under the same Disney umbrella (technically it does) but Lucasfilm and Marvel still handle their respective properties.

I've no idea who's handling Terminator now but that's another franchise that I'd like more Minimates from.

I very much like The Acquisition (TM), very much indeed! I also am yet to get a hold of superscript ? but yes, The Acquisition indeed. If only we could get some mates of Minimates into the mouse house as sleeper agents, to push our blocky agenda and get these licences licensed! 

We'll start with minimates in the desk drawers then move on to horse's heads in the beds if we have to >;) I kid, I kid, Mr NSA, I kid. I also heard about (alleged?) unproduced Godfather minimates, lending context to that lil' joke lol

Indeed though, Terminator mates still have so much to give! I might have to try find the Terminator Mates threads on here now lol ever since I first saw the T3 Kubrick set, and more intensely once DST became got their own Cyberdyne shares, I'd hoped that set would one day receive a minimate counterpart, with a blocky T-X with ALL the swappable hands and maybe a mini Claire Danes...all the better to save the minimate scale T-1 to be picked with the T-X endoskeleton in the same vein as the Hunter-Killers...

I digress though comrades. To riff on the Grateful Dead's 'friend of the devil', a mate of minimates is a mate of mine :)  Let's draw lots on who's going undercover at the Franchise Farm. I've even heard they call them silos lol thank you kindly for the info MisterPL

• 5 weeks later...

I finally decided to buy myself the Aliens Deluxe sets and boy are they just the absolute best. I wish they’d kept this going. Especially for Godzilla so we could get a worthy Ghidorah. 
Alien Queen is one of my favorite minimates ever. Right beside Sauron. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...