UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

On 7/14/2021 at 6:57 AM, MisterPL said:

Speaking of companies that make promises they don't keep, it seems Paramount is adapting DST's business model of announcing projects but not following through.

Yet another Star Trek film is on its way!

No, really. They mean it this time. It'll be out just in time to tie in with the release of the long-awaited Enterprise-C.

I love the director's resume.

The writer's less so.

And I feel like JJ is a King MIdas these days (except he turns things to shit instead of gold). I did enjoy 1 and 3 which he produced so I'll cross my fingers for this one.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JJ is really good at getting the ball rolling. He's done okay with the Mission: Impossible franchise but, I agree, Into Darkness was a disappointment. Beyond felt like a solid episode.

That said, I still think Star Trek belongs on the small screen. Recent shows have proven they don't need a Hollywood blockbuster budget to have a cinematic quality. I was watching Discovery and one of my kids sat down thinking it was a movie.

I have high hopes for Strange New Worlds.

58 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

I have high hopes for Strange New Worlds.

I don't.

Honestly I don't have hope for anything produced these days. Hollywood seems so obsessed with injecting woke political statements into everything instead of putting storytelling first.

And if Discovery is canon for Strange New Worlds, they've damaged the character of Spock in my opinion. Anyway, let's hope I'm completely wrong and it has the spirit of Treks gone by.

And even if it has the TOS / TNG spirit, the fates of Spock, Pike, and any other TOS characters are known. Spock can't die in this time period so can never really be put in jeopardy. Pike has to end up in that mobile box. So if someone has a knife to his throat, you know he's getting out of it. Only original characters or those with unwritten outcomes can truly be in danger.

Again, forgive my negativity and let's hope I'm very very wrong.

Understood. But Star Trek has been injecting woke political statements into its stories from the beginning. The bridge of the Enterprise represented the United Nations. They were all cultural stereotypes but it was a significant first step toward representation and the hope that we could all work together. (McCoy's southern xenophobia notwithstanding.)

You're right about the fates of Pike and Spock. However, that's why I'm looking forward to new characters. Plus, "it's not the destination, it's the journey." Even knowing that Pike and Spock won't be in danger of dying, I'm interested to see how they deal with whatever strange new situations they find themselves in. I just enjoy watching characters like Spock and Number One interact in a broken turbolift.

Also, my ideal Star Trek takes place aboard the Enterprise, regardless of the crew, so I'm hopeful.

Optimism, Mr. Chaney. 🖖🤓

I recall stories from DeForest Kelley and James Doohan about how fans had told them that McCoy and Scotty had inspired them to become doctors or engineers. But the stories from Nichelle Nichols weren't about fans inspired by Uhura to go into communications. It was about how important it was to see a Black person as a valued member of the crew, sitting on the bridge with the other officers, as an officer. 

I didn't expect it to be such a big deal 50 years later but here we are.

Would love to see "Plato's Stepchildren" variants of the Enterprise Crew in Minimates form.

Also, would like to see more Star Trek Alien Races and more Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise Minimates. As well as new Discovery and Strange New Worlds and Star Trek the Animated Series Minimates.

We have a full TOS crew with plenty of Kirk and Spock variants. I'd rather they go with TNG and forward. If they go back to TOS the only thing I'd probably want would be an alien 4 pack of some kind. Klingon, Romulan, Andorian, Salt Vampire. Something like that. Personally, I'm Kirked out. :)

The other series only have captains and an enemy really so there's a lot more they could do with recognizable characters.

I'm with Mr. Chaney. While there are an abundance of untapped (and IMO viable) remaining Kirk variants to anchor a number of SKUs, I'd sooner see DST jump into the 24th century and cover TNG, DS9, and VOY.

Assuming they still have the rights to offer 2" scale block-style figures, of course.