Deadpool

Chimichanga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (TBT! @ Jan 28 2011, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 28 2011, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While it isn't really too much of my business, as this is a public post, I'm going to at least voice my support that Webhead be allowed to keep his signature. Regardless of any comments he has made, he HAS had the signature for years and I do think its a bit unfair to ask him to remove it now, especially given that doing it now makes it seem as if it is a form of punishment for his comments, which I think would be rather unfair.

It's not unfair to ask him to remove it, the demographic here has changed to a family oriented one over the last couple of years. I personally don't like the sig, it actually makes me avoid surfing this website in some public places because it's NSFW, it's the only item on here that is, so therefore yes it is fair to ask him to remove it.

We haven't asked for it to be removed previously because it's not been high on our radar, I tend to have a policy with sigs that they are low on the list of things to moderate, and generally only ask people to fix them if they put themselves on our radar.

You should also note that I am asking for the Sig to taken down not telling. I'm perfectly within my bounds as Admin/Mod to just change it but am not doing so (Yet) out of respect for Webhead.

*Edit: just noticed Rad posted at the same time as me with pretty much the same message, it's that the Sig is no longer suitable for the site and we'd prefer it to not be here.*
T.

I know you're within your bounds, I never claimed you weren't, nor did I or would I claim that those bounds are unreasonable. I suppose I just feel that the sig isn't that big of a deal. Regardless, I do understand both you and Rad are correct.

Rad, while I did acknowledge that it isn't really my business, it is on a public thread which I believe entitles me the same right as any other member here to speak up and voice my opinion on the situation. I know the general age demographic has shifted somewhat (although I think BHM pulls it back the others way to round it out tongue.gif) but I was under the impression that as a whole, we were still able to behave the same way we were able to when this forum started.

While I did find Webhead's comment to be harsh as I explained to him personally, I still feel that he should not be required to change his signature if he does not want to. He has used it for years now and it isn't causing any more of a problem today than it was last week, or the week before. To ask him to remove his signature now comes off, to me at least, as a result of your frustration with his behavior in the other thread. I'm not saying that you approve of his signature and are simply doing this out of spite, but that if he had not drawn your attention, you would have continued to ignore his signature with relatively little problem, making it appear as a form of "retaliation". I am of course unaware of any messages you have received over it, and it is more than possible that many members have an issue with it that I am unaware of.

Anyway, I know you guys are in the right asking him to remove it, but I disagree with your decision and wanted to make my disagreement known.
Life is good

#22 TBT!

TBT!

"And don't insult the Smurfs."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 28 2011, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We haven't asked for it to be removed previously because it's not been high on our radar, I tend to have a policy with sigs that they are low on the list of things to moderate, and generally only ask people to fix them if they put themselves on our radar.

While I did find Webhead's comment to be harsh as I explained to him personally, I still feel that he should not be required to change his signature if he does not want to. He has used it for years now and it isn't causing any more of a problem today than it was last week, or the week before. To ask him to remove his signature now comes off, to me at least, as a result of your frustration with his behavior in the other thread. I'm not saying that you approve of his signature and are simply doing this out of spite, but that if he had not drawn your attention, you would have continued to ignore his signature with relatively little problem, making it appear as a form of "retaliation". I am of course unaware of any messages you have received over it, and it is more than possible that many members have an issue with it that I am unaware of.

Anyway, I know you guys are in the right asking him to remove it, but I disagree with your decision and wanted to make my disagreement known.

Deadpool you are entitled to your opinion, however you seemed to have completely missed the paragraph where I explained why we are asking that the Sig is removed now rather than at any other previous time. It's not something as devious as "spite" or "retaliation" it's a case of logistics, we spend enough of our free time moderating this place without looking for extra work and tend to deal with things as they come up, rather than spend time chasing every little infringement.

Here's an example of me doing exactly that, just yesterday.

T.

To be fair, Peter Dinklage is much bigger than a raccoon.

#23 Deadpool

Deadpool

Chimichanga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (TBT! @ Jan 28 2011, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 28 2011, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Deadpool you are entitled to your opinion, however you seemed to have completely missed the paragraph where I explained why we are asking that the Sig is removed now rather than at any other previous time. It's not something as devious as "spite" or "retaliation" it's a case of logistics, we spend enough of our free time moderating this place without looking for extra work and tend to deal with things as they come up, rather than spend time chasing every little infringement.

Here's an example of me doing exactly that, just yesterday.

T.

I actually caught your example earlier today (which I also never saw the other necro in that thread). I know it isn't that devious, I just feel it comes off that way.
Life is good

#24 Rad

Rad

Thread Necromancy - 15 years in Iso, Creep!

• 3,492 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Deadpool, when a moderator speaks to another member it is not a clarion call to all other members to come to the defence of that member. I reiterate, this is not a democracy. Please stop arguing with moderators every time a decision is made. After all this isn't the first occasion you've done so.

It's probably a good idea for us all to have a look at this post from a couple of years back.

http://www.minimatem...?showtopic=5540

And remember why we're here and what this site is all about.

#25 bsrj22

bsrj22

Mini-Addicted

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

I like this forum, it's exciting!

#26 Webhead

Webhead

These arms, like two snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

First of all I want to say I've cooled down and agree I should not have posted the "ignore" comment, at least not on this forum. It was uncalled for and I should have just left it with my punctuation jabs. Feel free to delete that post if you want.

Now onto the hot topic!

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 28 2011, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not saying that you approve of his signature and are simply doing this out of spite, but that if he had not drawn your attention, you would have continued to ignore his signature with relatively little problem, making it appear as a form of "retaliation"

This. It really does look like retaliation. I've never received one pm or anything regarding changing the sig until now. I get in hot water for ripping on a member and now I've got to remove my sig. I get your reasons Tim but it really does look like it's a response to my actions. Had I not posted the "ignore" comment we would not be having this discussion.

QUOTE (Rad @ Jan 28 2011, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deadpool, when a moderator speaks to another member it is not a clarion call to all other members to come to the defence of that member. I reiterate, this is not a democracy. Please stop arguing with moderators every time a decision is made. After all this isn't the first occasion you've done so.

Rad you are right. It's apparently a friendly dictatorship. Everyone should be entitled to their opinion whether or not they have a say in the decision itself.

Does this forum have a G rating only? What about all the boob (kid friendly word) talk and curse words that do get dropped here and there? I do not see those getting modded on frequent basis. How many posts about Jean's rack did we have? Some others and I dropped S and F bombs in the Andrew Garfield thread and nothing was done there. I guess I should start reporting these types of things. If you are going to censor you guys need to be consistent.

Soon I will remove the sig, not because Rad is demanding it but because Tim asked me (and also if I do nothing then it gets taken down anyway).

#27 TBT!

TBT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Webby,

Thank you, I appreciate you coming back and responding after calming down and as far as I'm concerned we can close the book on this topic now.

As I said above we tend to let Sig stuff go by until it get's pulled into our sights by something else, that's all. To be honest I've been meaning to ask if you'd remove it for a while (Since it was talked about in a thread in 2009 no less) but never got around to it, this place is always keeping us busy that I forgot. I also think your sig gets the attention over some comment about boobs or the occasional swear word because it's a very visible animated image that can appear anywhere, this makes it far more likely that someone who is just in passing will see it without context for the thread or the site. I have experienced this first hand once when waitress at a coffee bar give me a really evil look because I scrolled down and there it was when she was handing me my coffee.

As for the whole debate on censorship, what we do and why we do it, the answer is we try our best to keep the place as family friendly as possible but not to enforce censorship so rigorously that people are afraid to say what's on their minds. It's not an easy task and we don't always get it right, but we are the main thing you guys rely on to keep order and you have to learn to respect that we are doing our best and trust us or we're all screwed. smile.gif

T.

#28 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Old Aged Muted Ninja Turtle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,091 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

I have had many a go at eclipse as I said earlier & I'm happy to say that he continues to PM in good humour purely because we have agreed to differ about his style of posting. His post in his customs thread perhaps illustrates this perfectly & I don't believe that he complained about Webhead's thread which was at worst rash.

http://www.minimatem...h...7250&st=154

This week culminated in me sending eclipse, Duff,Rocky2 & a C3 Mini Javelin set for reasonable $ & may go some way to concluding that life's a little too short for a thread like this.

Without Mods we become a rabble & I can assure you that I bite my tongue regularly & if I can do it you all can . That's not fair but it works .
The question of what is permissible on this forum is an area which needs to be discussed (or otherwise) so that we all know where we're going.......or at least where I'm going. Everybody knows how old I am but very few members tend to give their age which is critical IMO when getting involved with some discussions here ,I'm all for privacy but don't blame me if you're talking like a 12 year old & you're married with three kids biggrin.gif Certain signatures are distracting but my PC has settings that eliminate such things & I can assure you my computer isn't that special .....I also have a spellcheck function wink.gif

For the record I'm not criticising anybody I'm just dismayed .

Edit: As usual my slow typing sees TBT post coming in before mine & my comments may not relate to his comments.

Edited by buttheadsmate, 28 January 2011 - 03:18 PM.

"........turtle sheller  .....!

#29 Rad

Rad

Thread Necromancy - 15 years in Iso, Creep!

• 3,492 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

In reply to Buttheadsmate...

People that know me, know that I swear. I love swearing, it's great! Some people think frequent swearing shows a lack of intellect. I think those people are Smurfs! wink.gif
A well placed or well used swear word can light up a sentence. But there is a time and a place and I don't believe that place is here. As discussed earlier our forum now is a very different one to the beast that Ady spawned.

Back in the old AA forum days there was no swearing at all. It was verboten as it was a company forum. This place was originally a little looser because it was a fan forum. But we have to recognise our responsibility to all of our members and in the case of the kids that frequent this place we as adults have a responsibility to show them what is, and what is not acceptable.

If that ever changes then I'll be the first to celebrate with a few well chosen words wink.gif

#30 TBT!

TBT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

Nice post Rad, I think that sums up how many of us feel but weren't quiet so articulate in expressing.

And as far as I'm concerned this topic has run it's course and I'm going to close it.

If anyone wants it reopened or has any questions please PM me.

T.

#31 Lurch77

Lurch77

~groovin~

• 1,846 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

Has anyone posted in this thread since my response? It's been awfully quiet on the boards since yesterday afternoon, where'd everyone go? I don't see any new responses. Oh well, guess if there's no further interest and original question was answered, then best to just lock this one down and move on biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users