594 replies to this topic

#581 Turtle

Turtle

Look into my eye.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

I see the point, but I don't consider a couple of sculpted parts and completely covering the figure in slip-over parts to be the same thing. It is an evolution, but I don't think it's the only or even the best option. But it's where we are, and I'll live with it. Between a puny version and this Hulk, I'll take this one. I just think DST could do better.

In terms of getting useful credit, there's a pretty nifty blog called Law and the Multiverse. It, obviously, targets a very specific niche. It explores the would-be real world implications of superheroic situations. Daredevil, She-Hulk, and Manhunter come up a lot. The blog did an online seminar earlier this year that was actually worth continuing education credit for attorneys.

#582 Mirymate

Mirymate

furry blue monkey man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have to wonder, and this would be an excellent question to ask Chuck directly, if there's a cost difference between slip on parts and sculpted parts, T. Or if there's some requirment in the liscence that says that a standard sized base body must be used and actually sculpting the larger arms and thicker legs would somehow violate that agreement. I am sure there is a reason why the choice was made to go this direction, we're just not in on it.
We really need to get on the stick bugging their offices and confrence room. Would save us so much trouble and confusion. And get us some nice crminal records, Probably why we haven't done it yet. nvm

Posted Image

Sell me what I want - Parts needed list - Or trade with me
(all updated 11-19-12)
Proud member of the Kang Kadre! Always!

#583 karamazov80

karamazov80

The Enemy

• MMC
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

While there has clearly been an incremental shift in how Minimates are modified to account for larger and less human characters, my argument before was that they more they change, the more they start to reflect what Kubricks have been since the beginning--figures that can be as "excessively sculpted as they wanna be," the essence of the original figure type be damned. Which is to say--devolution instead of evolution. Some Kubricks are only recognizable as such because they have Kubrick feet or feet pegs (like the Alien Queen). At least Minimates still almost always have a base Minimate body under all the sculpted stuff, but when you step back and look at Hulk, again, it could just as easily be a completely new type of toy and not a Minimate at all. Very tough to tell without breaking him down.

From a more technical definition, evolution implies mutations that helps with something's ability to survive, and maybe the heavily sculpted Minimates are more evolved in that sense if they sell better than less sculpted ones, but I'm not totally sure that that is the case or would be the case with most figures.

Edited by karamazov80, 28 August 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#584 Scorpion

Scorpion

The one and only scorpion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

Has anyone got these from bigbadtoystore yet?

The sting of the scorpion. Also see my Wants and Haves List 3 down.  

14588174426_28abde585d_z.jpg

#585 pioad

pioad

Mini-Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

Has anyone got these from bigbadtoystore yet?

Nope

#586 havok

havok

Zip Zap ZOOP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

The Peter Parker head will make for an awesome unmasked Spidey. I currently just have the one with the doofy face and kirk hair....

#587 Smashmaster12

Smashmaster12

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

Sorry for the small bump, but I felt like throwing this out.
Say what you will about DST, but they are are some pretty awesome guys.
I emailed them a few weeks back about getting a new pointy hand for my FA Iron Man, and today, to my surprise, instead of sending me the hand, they actually sent me the figure itself with the alt. hand included!
Posted Image

#588 MST3KFan

MST3KFan

Bad Movie Riffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

So..is it a widespread QC problem with the Hulk having two right upper leg attachments on it?

I notice on even the Minimate Database that the Hulk shown there has this problem.

It's not a big deal, but it is noticeable. Would DST even send a replacement part for this issue?
"And a noble race dies out...sometimes. This LOSER race though will not be missed." -Crow T Robot, MST3K "Prince of Space"

#589 stack32

stack32

Mini-Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

Seems to me the problem might be so widespread that they wouldn't even consider it wrong.

#590 TENIME_art

TENIME_art

Ethically Challenged

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

Pretty sure after eyeballing the entire case that my LCS got, that the Hulk I ended up with has two unique hip covers.

My MvC3 Hulk, however, does not. <_<

#591 MST3KFan

MST3KFan

Bad Movie Riffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Pretty sure after eyeballing the entire case that my LCS got, that the Hulk I ended up with has two unique hip covers.

My MvC3 Hulk, however, does not. <_<

My MvC3 Hulk has the proper hip covers, I actually have two in fact due to buying a second pack because my first Haggar broke actually.

...Though I'd prefer the wave 41 one to have proper hip covers as well... Maybe DST will give me a replacement...what is the link to them for asking on figures missing pieces and stuff?
"And a noble race dies out...sometimes. This LOSER race though will not be missed." -Crow T Robot, MST3K "Prince of Space"

#592 Dio

Dio

Mini-Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

My LCS just got a case in of this wave, and I finally got my Sinister and Nimrod. Sinister is amazing, thank you DST.

#593 DSTZach

DSTZach

Marketing Supervisor, DST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

...Though I'd prefer the wave 41 one to have proper hip covers as well... Maybe DST will give me a replacement...what is the link to them for asking on figures missing pieces and stuff?

customerservice@diamondselecttoys.com

#594 Jeff

Jeff

Mini-Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

I loved that comic too- took me forever to find the final conclusion issue. Here's some of my Spidey customs...
Working on a Spider-Hulk, Spider-Thor, Man-Spider (from the animated 90's show), and the Slingers. Which are proving to be more difficult than I thought. Anyone else tried their hand on making the Slingers? Dusk is the only one I have done so far.

Attached File  spideys.jpg   137.05K   34 downloads

sliderbanner_zps384bc1ab.jpg

#595 funkguerilla

funkguerilla

In it to win it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

I loved that comic too- took me forever to find the final conclusion issue. Here's some of my Spidey customs...
Working on a Spider-Hulk, Spider-Thor, Man-Spider (from the animated 90's show), and the Slingers. Which are proving to be more difficult than I thought. Anyone else tried their hand on making the Slingers? Dusk is the only one I have done so far.

Attached File  spideys.jpg   137.05K   34 downloads

I've always wanted to make my own versions of The Slingers (Huge fan here), but I never got out of the planning stages. I'm not one for painting or decaling, for fear that I'll mess up one of my precious mates forever. Maybe we should start a petition to get these amazing Spider-Man variants made. They deserve it way more than any lame-o time traveler... :)
My blogs, collect'em all!

My Comic Blog - Platypus Robot
My Movie Production Blog - Uncle Slavko's Fun Time Blog
My Webcomic - Spicy Braun Comics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users