25 replies to this topic

#21 Webhead

Webhead

These arms, like two snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Right I am just saying what is the difference whether someone lists a price or says make me an offer and lists nothing? In the end the seller will only take what they are willing to and the buyer will only offer or pay what they are willing to pay for an item. Honestly unless I am missing something, and I might since I am not nearly on this board as much as I used to, but people tend to pay only what they want to pay for something.

And there is really more trading going on than outright buying anyway. Usually when I decide to move something on ebay I drop by here and see if anyone needs it. More often than not they do but do not want to spend money, or they already got the item and never bothered to update their list. Honestly it's more hassle to attempt to move something here but i try it first to send goodies to the nice people on this board.

#22 Lurch77

Lurch77

~hibernating~

• 1,773 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Yep, I sit in the lazy group too tongue.gif I have corrected my lists and flogged myself accordingly. To my defense, being out of the loop for a while the guide is helpful to know what one set is "relatively" worth vs another set, very helpful for trading. Granted with loose figures there's no way to tell, better off negotiating a reasonable price.

While we're talking about the flea market, everyone don't forget if you haven't updated your Have/Want, Sell/Buy & Parts lists in a long time to be sure to do so by the end of the month. Putting that ""Updated xx-xx-xx"" date in it is very helpful!

#23 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

No longer a TRU.com customer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,625 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:03 AM

Finishing the 'Guide' became an obsession & gave me an insight into how much work goes into sites like this one ,Central,HQ,the Factory etc.etc. & of course The Database. It was also, first & foremost, enjoyable to do .
In the 'Discussion Thread', one of the biggest disappointments was the fact that very few people said (on forum anyway) that 'this or that' was total nonsense or that certain prices were 'way out ' ! I'd be the first to admit that some of the prices must be incorrect at any given time but my method of ascertaining prices is based on a fairly complicated method that would not be easy to define in a few sentences. I never consciously allow my personal feelings or interests to affect my valuations & rarely attempt to completely demolish any line's credibility.
My 'Discussion' thread is absolutely awash with enough disclaimers to make it actually useless as a credible price list,concrete proof of that statement was gleaned from my two Blow Outs .When people want something badly enough they will throw any price list out of the window ,similarly some peoples 'supposed' grails become not so much of a grail if they believe it to be overpriced biggrin.gif

A price list would have been an impossible task ,the 'Price Guide' is what it says on the bottle .

Regards keeping it up to date , I try & reflect what is happening over a period of time rather than what is happening 'this week' . No-one would be happier than me if someone else took it over ,I can think of at least two worthy successors but I have never ever set out to be 'he that knows all' . I don't. Any comments are welcome & are always taken on board,examples would be when people state what trends they notice in their TRUs. TRU has been the biggest influence on Minimates since I started collecting them & has created some anomalies in the perception of what is actually rare & what might just be scarce at the moment or in your vicinity.

Regards 'Loose' prices, I have contemplated doing a Guide & if someone helped with the tabulation ,lists etc. I could quite quickly reel off the prices . The only bag of worms to be opened would be 'condition' ,how do you define what a Minimate with a wonky leg is worth with the wrong hairpiece & missing his cane .......like 90% of the Baldimates that flooded ebay during the last year wink.gif

Edited by buttheadsmate, 16 October 2010 - 04:11 AM.

"..........I've got BHM beat when it comes to Hammers" -  youbastards

#24 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Be true to yourself... Even if that means being 'normal.'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

Okay, I believe I have made it no secret that I've hated BHM's Price Guide ™ from day one. This isn't to say I don't find his obsessive need to pigeon-hole and number-crunch everything useful. On the contrary, I find it a trait that we occasionally share. What I object to is a "Price Guide" at all. That indicated that there is some kind of heir of authority surrounding it, rather than what it truly is, an overview of historically average prices. Allow me to explain it like this.

When we, I at least, think 'price guide' it tends to be synonymous with 'ToyFare'. There are several problems with that, however. They're always about 3 months late, and way over priced, even at the top of their game. Yet people still look to it as the pinnacle of authority. I had a deal once where I wanted the SMC Manga Spidey a guy was selling. it should have been about $12, but he wanted $25 +s&h. Loose. Through our conversation he pointed out that that was generous compared to what ToyFare said. I pointed out that he had 3 of them. I still don't have a Manga Spidey.

Now, was this guy being a jerk? Possibly, but I didn't see it as that. He was just following what a piece of paper told him, even though the market had dropped out and he was asking too much based on bad data. So what is my fear here? It is that, while we may know the Guide to be just a suggestion, others will not. I know for a fact that people on Ebay and Fwoosh use the guide as a difinative listing. That ends up hurting us in the long run, even if the prices are low. It hinders the ebb and flow of the market and makes it icreesingly difficult to score good deals as time goes on.

This is not to say that EVERYONE knows about the Guide. They don't. And it doesn't even carry as much authority as say the Overstreet Price Guide. Which opens up a whole nother discussion what constitutes 'official' and what doesn't.

Addressing people here using the Guide, I think they're just being lazy. I'm with Shane. I trade everything, and if someone wants to buy something, we'll discuss it. On both our terms, without the Guide. I believe it more important to be 'fair' in your trades than 'correct'. If you both try to have the other person get the better deal, and you sell Deadpool for $10, who gives a flip? You're both happy, so why do you need to compare it to anything? I recently made a deal here like that. I sold/traded a member here some stuff he wanted, and neither of us had a clue what it was worth. So I just sent it to him. He looked through it, and we are discussing the end price based upon both our thoughts. I still have no idea what I'm getting. And that's why I love it here. This is the only forum in the world where I would feel comfortable doing that.

So in short, try to be fair to one another and the price will always be perfect. As for the Guide?

Burn the damn thing.
Posted Image

No, he's right -- not making that one character doomed the line. Doomed, I tell you. The minute we left him out of Series 1 a raven flew through our window. And killed an intern.

#25 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

No longer a TRU.com customer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,625 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Bravo Dino ...well said wink.gif Seriously that was from the heart & I applaud your honesty as always.

"..........I've got BHM beat when it comes to Hammers" -  youbastards

#26 The Geohound

The Geohound

OMACTIVATE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

While I do see the issues at hand, I'm just going to put in that I love my minimates and the idea of selling them is just so far from my mind it gives me a little headache ever time I think about it. That being said, I do have some doubles of the more awesome toys r us exclusives and no real need for them. Not saying I want to sell them, just that in everything I've ever collected, trading with other people has been a big thing. I'm not trying to promote myself here, just saying I like the idea of a community of those of us who are like minded in this interest helping each other out with our collections, be it with barter systems or just plain money.

End hippie-esque ramble

That being said, if people are going to sell stuff on here, some kind of fair goverrning system would be an idea so new people don't get fleeced and all that. But all hail capitalism and free market economy. Supply and demand and all that. Seriously, people just deal one on one and be fair to each other. Somebody has something that I really want and wants more from me than that, if I want that one thing enough and don't give a crap about the things the other person wants, it's pretty likely I'll throw together a very lopsided deal, against myself, just to get a thing I really want more than make some kind of profit. It's all about love of the game for me.

Man, maybe I am a hippie.

I don't really know where I was going with this. Just kinda felt I should get in and say, pro-selling, anti-ripping off.

Edited by The Geohound, 30 October 2010 - 11:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users