Twisted Two-Face

"You and I remember Budapest VERY differently"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (battlecat @ Jun 7 2010, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Twisted Two-Face @ Jun 7 2010, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't exactly say that i think it matters that much, so i'll just offer the words of my Physics Teacher, who was just discussing this whole "color" situation last week:

"What is lavendar?? What is "Mahogany??" What is "Peach??" Those are flowers, woods, and fruits. They are NOT colors."

I kind of agree with him...sorry JP...confused.gif

Your Physics teacher seems to be confusing the colors in the light spectrum with the "colors" that are used to name pigments. You should ask your Art teacher if there's such a thing as "peach" smile.gif

I'm with Crayola on this one!

Crayola is exactly who he was attacking with that. tongue.gif

2f03r5z.jpg

WINTER SOLDIER 2012 2013

VICTORY.

#22 battlecat

battlecat

Hare Razing Rabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Twisted Two-Face @ Jun 7 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crayola is exactly who he was attacking with that. tongue.gif

Dude, I meant I'm with them on changing the term! As they did a long, long time ago! Sigh, fine, "I'm with Jatta Pake" tongue.gif

Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 TBT!

TBT!

"And don't insult the Smurfs."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

OK FOLKS..... In order to get this back on topic....

For the purposes of this thread I am decreeing that:

Just because other colors of skin/flesh exist, it doesn't make what we are talking about not flesh colored.
It is like saying green apples cannot be described as green because there are red apples.

Anyone who wants to debate otherwise go do it somewhere else! biggrin.gif

T.

To be fair, Peter Dinklage is much bigger than a raccoon.

#24 Ninja Mate

Ninja Mate

the Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

seriously?? your going to argue a "light toned flesh" be called "peach"??????

I am a web designer/graphic designer and have NEVER heard the term peach referred to as white Caucasian.

I will agree that "flesh" is not a color but an object. Flesh is one of those things that you cant totally understand without knowing the context. Obviously if you saw a picture of the 3-eyed martian from Toy Story and said "Look at his flesh" you would know I was talking about green.
I think the term "Flesh" is appropriate when talking about skin and or skin pigment. if there is not enough detail to understand the exact color of the flesh, the more information is necessary such as "Orange colored flesh" or in the instance of AA/DST "Flesh-0499c" is acceptable.

edit: sorry posted right after you TBT.

back on topic. Where are the flesh colored or "naked white dudette" minimates" smile.gif

Edited by Ninja Mate, 07 June 2010 - 08:55 PM.

#25 battlecat

battlecat

Hare Razing Rabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (TBT! @ Jun 7 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because other colors of skin/flesh exist, that does not make what we are talking about not flesh colored.
It is like saying apples cannot be described as Green because there are Red apples.

All I was saying is the thread title "Apple colored blanks" would be kinda wrong/vague, in that instance.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 groundhog7s

groundhog7s

nuttier than squirrel poop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

All I'd like to add to this is that to me this blank will always be called 'naked white dude' mate regardless of what anyone else says. Argue all you like, you'll never change my mind.

Posted Image

#27 TBT!

TBT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (battlecat @ Jun 7 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (TBT! @ Jun 7 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because other colors of skin/flesh exist, that does not make what we are talking about not flesh colored.
It is like saying apples cannot be described as Green because there are Red apples.

All I was saying is the thread title "Apple colored blanks" would be kinda wrong/vague, in that instance.

Context is your friend! in this case flesh colored instead of clothed minimates.

Which part of "Anyone who wants to debate otherwise go do it somewhere else!" was to hard for you to understand? ;)

T.

#28 battlecat

battlecat

Hare Razing Rabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (TBT! @ Jun 7 2010, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which part of "Anyone who wants to debate otherwise go do it somewhere else!" was to hard for you to understand? ;) dry.gif

Hey, I was debating about apples, totally different subject! biggrin.gif Anyway, I am off to somewhere else (bed)...

Edited by battlecat, 07 June 2010 - 08:58 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Goober

Goober

Mini-Addicted

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

Arguing about apples? Of all the places a topic about butt-naked blanks could have gone, I'm somewhat surprised and yet very relieved that the conversation went to apples.

So where did these come from again? Rob seems to have gotten them off of ebay, but why were they there?

#30 groundhog7s

groundhog7s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

I got mine here. I asked the seller and they said it was an unreleased promo they had. If you know you're promo history, the seller was responsible for the Emerald City Comic Con mates also. I don't know if that was related to how they got it, but that's all I know about it. And that I was very surprised at how low the price ended up being.

Posted Image

#31 TBT!

TBT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (groundhog7s @ Jun 7 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got mine here. I asked the seller and they said it was an unreleased promo they had. If you know you're promo history, the seller was responsible for the Emerald City Comic Con mates also. I don't know if that was related to how they got it, but that's all I know about it. And that I was very surprised at how low the price ended up being.

I know Jaycen ( the seller) fairly well and he had close connections with AA in NY in the past, I've not spoken to him for a while though.

This probably came from the same batch as the one I have.
Damn that is a good price groundhog, good job! I know I wouldn't part with my for anywhere near that low!

T.

#32 groundhog7s

groundhog7s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

Honestly, I felt guilty. And yeah, he's a real good guy. Buying from him brought back memories of the AA days (which made me appreciate the MMMV days).

Posted Image

#33 NorthRaider

NorthRaider

I Missed The Kangpocalypse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:07 AM

Look, they best way to settle this argument is simple:

Rename "flesh" (that soft squishy stuff that most sentient beings and representations thereof are often covered in) into "meat."

Rename the flesh-colored blanks "tastefully undressed Minimate prototype base figures."

For everything else, refer to this helpful little blog entry. tongue.gif
Posted Image
*But really I'm for anything that'll help Chuck see clearer and diversify the line even more, so that everyone will be happy. Also, I still want Inhumans even though DST said that might take take a while. Also also, I really do not understand DC's decision-making process sometimes. Also also also, the Book of Minimates needs to become a real thing. Also also also also, I'm still looking for Femme Fatales Minimates.

#34 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Mini-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,395 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (Jatta Pake @ Jun 8 2010, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
buttheadsmate - I have no idea what you are saying as usual. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jatta Pake @ Jun 8 2010, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This opens up a HUGE can of worms in my opinion.

Huge can of peaches with worms in them.

QUOTE (TBT! @ Jun 8 2010, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure BHM will have something to chip in on this subject as he used to be a printer and it's rumored they know a bit about pantone reference.

'Rumored' .....priceless Timbo priceless.

Pantone & I were not the greatest of friends in my previous life as a printer. If I had a penny for every bugger(customer) that specified a Pantone colour to me whilst brandishing his 10 year old faded Pantone book at me then I would be a rich man . It's a guide ,a necessary guide but very very fallible........

.....unlike Graphic Designers.

Today I'm going to take some photographs .......

..... shoot some blanks rolleyes.gif

I'll post them later.

Tim, 'flesh coloured blanks in baggies'.........somethings not quite 'nice' about that .

Edited by buttheadsmate, 08 June 2010 - 01:52 AM.

Completism sometimes requires a little legwork..........Shredder requires a little more rolleyes.gif

#35 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Mini-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,395 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:55 AM

I'll offer my usual apologies for my photography but here's a selection of what I have. In the cool light of day I reckon now that they ARE the real deal & any discrepancies in the colour of body parts is due to production rather than being 'pieced together 'a la Frankenmate'. Timbo gave me one of the whites & they also have variations in colour throughout their entirety ....if you know what I mean? The ..I'm gonna call them.... 'flesh' ones were an ebay win & really were for nothing ($20+ if I recall) & came with a bunch of other Minimates . I spotted them in a very poorly pictured ebay lot & took a risk.....I'm glad I did. The 'guy with the eyes' is actually my favourite & reminds me of my favourite German. wink.gif Where is Bob BTW? The eyes are just penned on amateurishly but who cares?

Attached File  ebay_105.jpg   114.7K   57 downloadsAttached File  ebay_108.jpg   129.61K   35 downloadsAttached File  ebay_109.jpg   103.83K   12 downloadsAttached File  _BYC8Jd__mk___KGrHgoOKk_EjlLmYq_kBKffT7Ukqw___35.jpg   5.87K   29 downloadsAttached File  ebay_111.jpg   114.51K   25 downloads
Attached File  ebay_112.jpg   122.66K   20 downloadsAttached File  ebay_114.jpg   154.06K   33 downloads

Check out the torso of the 3" Black (is Black OK?) Minimate ......it is actually three pieces ohmy.gif ....I never realised that did anybody else?

I'm probably the only person that didn't....

Completism sometimes requires a little legwork..........Shredder requires a little more rolleyes.gif

#36 Ivan

Ivan

Lost Cosmonaut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

I really don't have a dog in this fight. If you guys think I should change the flesh MMDB entries I can fairly easily.

Minimate Database (Updated 12/7/14 with a whole bunch of everything including TMNT and Mass Effect.) (MinimateDB on Twitter)
Minimate Labs (Updated 9/25/14 with 'in-progress' photos of the printed 500% Minimate)
The source of the problem has been isolated.

#37 Cappy

Cappy

Mini-Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Ninja Mate @ Jun 7 2010, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seriously?? your going to argue a "light toned flesh" be called "peach"??????
I think the term "Flesh" is appropriate when talking about skin and or skin pigment.

The thing is, skin pigment (melanin) is a very, very dark brown color. The amount of it present in your skin sets your overall skin tone.

And seriously, yes, assuming light-colored, pinkish skin from European genetic stock is some sort of standard and thus the default color for flesh is just wrong. We're becoming a global society, folks, no reason we can't consciously cast off our outdated eccentricities.

Whether "peach" is the correct color name could be up for debate. But it gets the message across, has been used by Crayola for decades so is a strong candidate.

QUOTE (Ivan @ Jun 8 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really don't have a dog in this fight. If you guys think I should change the flesh MMDB entries I can fairly easily.

Yes, I think you should. How do you want to present yourself to the global community that accesses your site?

Being a fan of the blanks, I do have a peach blank I pieced together last year or so. The pieces came from the same production time frame, so the colors match just fine, at least as well as any production white blank AA/DST has kicked out.

Edited by Cappy, 13 June 2010 - 10:01 AM.

You were too busy buying stuff to get anything for free. -- bhm

#38 Shamrock

Shamrock

TheICE AGE!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Has anyone suggested using the Pantone Matching System?

#39 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Mini-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,395 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (Shamrock @ Jun 13 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone suggested using the Pantone Matching System?

No ...nobody even thought of that ohmy.gif

#40 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Mini-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,395 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

tongue.gif http://www.minimated...om/acc.php?i=47

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users