UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bring Comic Covers/Scenes to Life! Minimate Style!!!

AdyCarter

Bring Comic Covers/Scenes to Life! Minimate Style!!!

xmencomicresized.jpgxmenminimatesresized.jpg

MinimateMultiverse brings you an all new contest!

Replicate a Comic Cover or Scene from any of your favorite books, but with what else? Minimates!!!!

Here are the rules:

1.) Each entry must provide one picture of your 3-D creation from your favorite book, be it a cover or panel scene. Sky’s the limit!

2.) Each entry must provide one sample picture of the source art that you are using for your creation.

3.) Custom minimates are allowed but not necessary.

4.) You can use any materials for your design. Settings/Backdrops can be made out of paper, plastic, lego, or nothing, it’s your choice. You can also use design sets from other toys.

The design must capture the essence of the source that is being depicted. Use your imagination folks. Your design can be from any book whether it’s DC, Marvel, or an Independent, it’s up to you. Complexity doesn’t mean it’s the best way to go. Simple clean designs can go a long way. Lighting and Camera angles may or may not make a difference. Please submit your two pictures in this thread. Please keep pictures a manageable size. Both US & International Entries Welcomed!

Dates:

Entries will be accepted between now and September 25th at 12:00 AM Pacific Standard Time.

Voting will begin September 26th at 12:00 AM Pacific Standard Time thru October 4th at 12:00 AM Pacific Standard Time.

Winners will be posted October 5th.

The PM Ballot system will be used for the voting.

Each submitted ballot must list in order, the top three best designs you feel represent the source art the best.

1.) Best Representation

2.) Second Best Representation

3.) Third Best Representation

Anyone can vote, even the participants.

If you are a participant, you cannot vote for your own entry.

The 10 point minus system will be used to calculate the results.

Points awarded will be as follows: 1st will get 10pts, 2nd will get 9pts, 3rd will get 8pts

During the voting period, please send all PM ballots to Amazing.JL For the top prizes we have Maximates!!! That’s right, those high priced resin pieces are available for you to win!!

Start building your Sentinel Army! Have Galactus devour your Mini-Planet!!

sentinelresized.jpggalactusresized.jpg

1st Prize: Will receive Both a Sentinel and Galactus Maximate

2nd Prize: Will get One Maximate of their choice. Galactus or Sentinel

3rd Prize: Will get One Maximate of their choice. Galactus or Sentinel

Any Maximate selection may be substituted for any Three Non-Variant Marvel 2-Packs or C3 Set.

Good luck to all! Now go crazy!!

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify a few things that I've been asked various places.

ANYONE can enter, unless you are me. (So that includes board staff, AA/DST employees, convicted felons etc)

The contest is open to the entire world.

If you cant provide a digital version of your source art tell me, I probably have a copy and can scan it.

Any more questions just let me know.

Ummm...

This is a little unprecedented but my wife wants to enter this contest.

Do we have to register her an account or can she do one through me? :huh:

Huzzah for setting precidents.

To avoid confusion during voting and such its probably easiest if your wife creates her own account, that is unless you werent planning on making an entry under your account :D

How many entries can you do?

It is my understanding that it is just ONE entry per person, so pick your best!

Correct!

Crap! I narrowed it down to six, but I'm having trouble going from there.

How much photoshop is allowed? I'm assuming that we can follow the precedent set by the

Giant X-Men example. Composed photo, layered effects, set type, etc.

Crap! I narrowed it down to six, but I'm having trouble going from there.

How much photoshop is allowed? I'm assuming that we can follow the precedent set by the

Giant X-Men example. Composed photo, layered effects, set type, etc.

I imagine so long as its in the minimate style, like the Giant Sized X-Men or maybe even that Toyfare mock cover for Powerman and Iron Fist, then its all good.

Yeah reasonable photoshop usage is allowed, just dont go absolutely nuts as drgnrbrn316 said use the X-Men one as a guideline. However dont jsut photoshop a Minimate over a scan of an existing cover :P

It'll be interesting to see how many go for a photoshopped approach and how many go for an untouched photo approach.

So.....would a full comic page (4 frames) re-created, with no characters that have official Minimates (Sin City), be ok?

Just the one frame please, the original idea was just Comic Covers, but then we expanded it to scenes too in order to give people more scope, however a full page (4 frames) would be an unfair item to compare to one single panel or a cover. Full/Double page spreads are okay though as they are technically one panel.

Just the one frame please, the original idea was just Comic Covers, but then we expanded it to scenes too in order to give people more scope, however a full page (4 frames) would be an unfair item to compare to one single panel or a cover. Full/Double page spreads are okay though as they are technically one panel.

No problem, I just wanted to make sure before I posted anything.

Rules says a cover or panel from a DC, Marvel, or Independant comic showing minimates, be them custom or official. Sounds to be within the limits to me, though I imagine the ruling is determined on whether 4 panels is acceptable over the already agreed upon 1.

do the costumes need to be accurate to the ones from the comic. i have few mates, so my options are already limited.

That's a good question. I know I'm customizing six characters just so they fit the selection I've made. I imagine using what's been provided officially for you would work ok, but it could hurt you come voting time.

do the costumes need to be accurate to the ones from the comic. i have few mates, so my options are already limited.

That's a good question. I know I'm customizing six characters just so they fit the selection I've made. I imagine using what's been provided officially for you would work ok, but it could hurt you come voting time.

Yup spot on.

You dont have to be accurate, but you might not get peoples votes if you arent.

Enjoy!

xmen9.jpgx-men09.jpg

I love how with a simple flashlight off camera I was able to make GR's flame seem to generate the light for the picture. I'm usually pretty humble, but I'm really proud of that. The only thing I'm not happy with is Wolverine's right arm. But, in order to get it as high up as the cover, I would've had to Photoshop it in, and I wanted to keep as much photo-realism as I could get. You'd be surprised as to how little Photoshop I used for this. The only graphics I copied & pasted were the "Death 'Neath New Orleans", "Wolverine vs. Ghost Rider", and the cover price, number & Comics Code Authority approval. Everything else was me.