UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hellpop's Custom Mister Freeze

So I started a thread about this on the DC/C3 board, but now that I've actually made the custom, I guess I should post the photos, huh? Anyway, this came about a few months ago, when I found the Imaginext Mister Freeze at a Target and immediately began to think about trying to turn it into a Minimate. Wasn't sure it would work, though, so I put him back. My thinking was that I could always pick him up later, not realizing that he was actually fairly rare. So, cut to a few days ago, and I'm looking over my Lex Luthor and thinking about how great his boots and gauntlets would be for Freeze. Now I have a reason to try this! Just need to find a Freeze. Cut to yesterday, and I'm out shopping, and wonder of wonders I come across Freeze at the same Target I saw him so long ago. Guess that's a sign, huh?

So my plan is to pull the helmet off and put it over a Minimate. After getting him home and holding a minimate body against Freeze I'm a little unsure that it will work, because the Imaginext figure is so big. But I can see that the helmet is a separate piece, and it actually comes off pretty easy, so I keep going. And, after getting it off and putting it on the sholders of the body I've put together, I can see it's gonna work great. But now there's a new problem: getting a minimate head into the helmet. The problem is that there's a ridge at the bottom keeping me from inserting a head, so I get my exo knife and shave them off. Takes a little while, but in no time I have this:

freeze.th.jpg

Mister Freeze!

One of the cool thing (no pun intended) about Mister Freeze is that he's been redesigned so many times, there isn't the urgency to make him look comics-accurate; I felt free to interpret things a bit. So I ended up using the first Ghost Rider 'mate's body; I think the colors contrast nicely with the purple and blue.

freezetop.th.jpg

I ended up using an extra Spectre head I had laying around; I think Deadman might work better, but you work with what you have. As you can see, the helmet is indeed a little big for a minimate, but I think the oversized boots and gauntlets pull it together.

freezeside.th.jpg

I'm prattling on because this is probably my favorite custom I've done. Best thing is, it's really not all that difficult. And you get this awesome freeze trap!

freezetrap.th.jpg

freezevs.th.jpg

Anyway, now that I've finally popped my customizing photo cherry I'll start posting some more of the stuff I've done.

Edited by hellpop

Whaddya know... it worked!

It looks great.

Great work!

I bet we're gonna see a lot of these now, I know I wanna make one.

Thanks! The hardest part (if one follows my formula) will actually be acquiring extra Lex Luthors, I believe. Freeze is actually in stock on TRU.com, but Luthor is harder to come by. Yesterday I was bidding on (and winning) the only available one on eBay, to replace the one I used for this. Between my posting this and the end of the auction, it went from .99 to $13. Coincidence? :biggrin:

Of course, there are several other figures with big gloves and boots that would work well. Cylons, obviously, and there are several Iron Men to choose from. Now that I think about it, Apocalypse might be even better; he's a figure I don't own, so I didn't consider him. That big "A" on his belt is a sticking point, though.

That custom of yours looks brilliant! I was pretty sceptical when I first read about your plans. I especially concerned about Freeze's head size, but, although his head is bigger than a regular 'mate's head, it looks pretty cool.

Well done Hellpop!

Great work!

I bet we're gonna see a lot of these now, I know I wanna make one.

Thanks! The hardest part (if one follows my formula) will actually be acquiring extra Lex Luthors, I believe. Freeze is actually in stock on TRU.com, but Luthor is harder to come by. Yesterday I was bidding on (and winning) the only available one on eBay, to replace the one I used for this. Between my posting this and the end of the auction, it went from .99 to $13. Coincidence? :biggrin:

Of course, there are several other figures with big gloves and boots that would work well. Cylons, obviously, and there are several Iron Men to choose from. Now that I think about it, Apocalypse might be even better; he's a figure I don't own, so I didn't consider him. That big "A" on his belt is a sticking point, though.

Wait, those are rare? There's at least one just sitting at my comic book shop.

What nifty gun is that? I don't recognize it.

It's from one of the BSG Razor Cylons. I also have stuck on the water spout that came with Hydro Man to the end of the gun; it looks really cool, but I can't get him to stand with it long enough to snap a picture. :blush:

I love that custom! It makes me wish for one of two things - 1.That they had made a Mr. Freeze in the DC line or 2. that I had any customizing skill at all in order to copycat your awesome idea!

One of the great things about Minimates is that you don't need any customizing skills to do some really great customs. This one is no exception; all I did was put a few parts together. Trust me, I don't have much more skill then you do.

But thanks! :biggrin: