UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Charitymates 3: Everyone loves a trilogy...

Fujis

Hey guys, I think it might be time to put our heads together and brainstorm for the next 'Charitymates' project!

For those that are new to the Multiverse or perhaps missed the last two projects, here's what happens:

MMMV Customizers (veteran and novice alike) donate a Minimate custom based on a theme which are then auctioned off on eBay with 75% of the proceeds going to a specific charity and the remaining 25% going to Shanester to help offset his cost of maintaining our online home, namely the Minimate Multiverse!

The first Charitymates project was called 'Monsters for Blood' - we created monster Minimates and chose to support America's Blood Centers. The second project was called 'Manimals for the Animals' - we created anthropomorphic animal Minimates and supported the World Wildlife Fund.

So for the third annual Charitymates project I ask you:

1) What charity will we support? (Check through the listed non-profit organization at eBay Giving Works)

2) What type or style of custom Minimates should we create?

3) What will this year's project be called?

I'll open the brainstorming session with the suggestion that this project be...

Charitymates III: History for the Future - supporting The Carbon Fund and we'll create customs of real-life people who have made a positive impact on the world. Mother Teresa, Alexander Graham Bell, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, David Suzuki, Al Gore...these are just a few that spring to mind.

Edited by Fujis

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:jawdrop: Woohoo, the return of the Charitymates! I always thought this event was made of win :)

Fujis' first idea sound pretty good already, but if I can just put another idea out there:

Since we're "toy collectors", we can donate to a special charity devoted to children (maybe like this one, or UNICEF), and the customs will follow the theme of nostalgia characters from our childhood days (like Popeye the Sailor, Bozo the Clown, Rocky and Bullwinkle... geez I feel old :D)

Name... okay, usually I suck at coming up with names for something like this... Maybe "Old School for the New School"? (we can use this for a charity that sends less fortunate kids to school) "Oldies for the Newbies?" (okay, that's just terrible)

--------------------------

EDIT: Okay, I was just browsing through the old Charitymates threads and I TOTALLY didn't realize the complications of using a licensed character for a custom. Silly me.

Perhaps my idea can still work if we use characters from the public domain?

Edited by NorthRaider

I can't wait to take the opportunity to display my customising & photographic skills once more :P

Anybody who has contributed to Charitymates will know what a completely satisfying & worthwhile thing it is to do. Thankyou Fujis for running it again.

My personal choice for a charity would be anything to do with Cancer Research & as for ideas (& there's nothing wrong with yours or N.Raiders) regarding themes .....how about the 'Super-Evolved '.

I'm thinking along the lines of Dr.Drill (half-dentist/half human) , Janitor (mop-head etc.).....etc.etc.

.....just an idea!

I'm in. ;)

Edited by buttheadsmate

Excellent, I have been wondering when another Charitymates would come along! :D

Here is my idea for a theme:

Charitymates III: The Mind's Eye supporting Books for Kids by creating characters from classic works of literature such as Tom Sawyer, Captain Ahab, and King Arthur.

I also really like bhm's idea. :)

If I have time and material I will of course support this idea! Great!

I really like the suggestions and themes and would prefer Fuji's or Luke's so far.

Since we are a worldwide community I would also suggest to support a worldwide charity project. (Thought about this when I read you supported the "local" Blood Centers of America with the first mates - which is absolutely OK, don't get me wrong. I guess you know what I mean.)

My idea would be to support women's rights for example via Human Rights Watch. I see three reasons for that choice - besides the fact that it's a sad truth women have to be supported at all since there is no real gender equality in modern societies: First, this place has a (well respected and honored, no doubt about that!) female minority. Second a very huge amount of our beloved two-inchers are male with little women minimaterized. Which of course leads to the third argument: Since those mates are mainly based on comic characters, female heroes (and villains!) as well are a minority in Marvel, DC, Dark Horse etc. Universes.

For that I'd say let's support a charity devoted to women worldwide. And the theme - of course - would be female characters. This suggestion of course has to deal with the same problem Northraider's has: using a licensed character for a custom. Female superheroes not minimaterized yet would be cool customs but there are thounds of other non-licensed female characters as well.

Anyway, great idea! :biggrin:

All great ideas so far guys!

Bob: I agree that an international charity is best and if you look at ABC's mandate, they supply blood to most of the US and all of Canada. It's not 'international' but 'North American' which satisfied me as a Canadian.

I love the Books for Kids and UNICEF suggestions as they support children - are there others we can think of? War Child maybe?

I also think Luke's idea of literary characters or BHM's idea of 'Super-Evolved' characters will both give the customizers the chance to be creative and the customs will be colorful and dynamic, which helps in selling them afterwards! Not too sure about the licensing issues behind the literary characters though - are the ones you listed public domain Luke?

I also love Bob's theme idea of all female characters. Maybe Charitymates III: Mothers for Peace supporting War Child International with all female customs could work?

Edited by Fujis

I also think Luke's idea of literary characters or BHM's idea of 'Super-Evolved' characters will both give the customizers the chance to be creative and the customs will be colorful and dynamic, which helps in selling them afterwards! Not too sure about the licensing issues behind the literary characters though - are the ones you listed public domain Luke?

Yes, the ones I mentioned are all public domain. Any easy way to check for a work of literature is to search the title on Project Gutenberg.

:jawdrop: Woohoo, the return of the Charitymates! I always thought this event was made of win :)

Fujis' first idea sound pretty good already, but if I can just put another idea out there:

Since we're "toy collectors", we can donate to a special charity devoted to children (maybe like this one, or UNICEF), and the customs will follow the theme of nostalgia characters from our childhood days (like Popeye the Sailor, Bozo the Clown, Rocky and Bullwinkle... geez I feel old :D )

Name... okay, usually I suck at coming up with names for something like this... Maybe "Old School for the New School"? (we can use this for a charity that sends less fortunate kids to school) "Oldies for the Newbies?" (okay, that's just terrible)

--------------------------

EDIT: Okay, I was just browsing through the old Charitymates threads and I TOTALLY didn't realize the complications of using a licensed character for a custom. Silly me.

Perhaps my idea can still work if we use characters from the public domain?

that sounds like a good idea,but maybe since i might be the youngest here,i think we should do modern cartoons because cartoons are very popular at my school

the marvelous misadventures of flap jack,chowder,spongebob,and you know other cartoons

but if the cartoon idea works out,i pick flapjack!!(you guys probably dont know what the hell im talking about :P )

Edited by clayface1

This is going to make me un-popular, and I have avoided the last 2 CMs just for this reason. But I figure, heck, I'm in deep enough, how bad can it get.

I would like to do something supporting the Crisis Pregnancy Center, or the Right to Life origination. I would like to do this because it is an issue that is very real, very powerful, and very painful. I am a devout Christian. Not all of yall are. That's fine. This has less to do with Christ and more to do with the holocaust of the unborn. Almost 50 million children have been killed by their mothers since Roe v. Wade. And no one talks about it much, because if you're connected to it you're ashamed, or the liberals will try to skin you alive. Also, it is not just an American epidemic, it is something that happens all over the world. I'm not suggesting we take on the world here, just perhaps we could give some comfort to those who need it, and provide education before hand for another.

I feel very strongly about this issue as a whole, and I hope that it shows. However, it is a very tender subject, and while I have never been renown for tact, I understand if I'm the only one who wants to do it. It could incorporate ideas from BHM, Bob and Luke, supporting both children and women.

As for themes, well, Hasbro has never copyrighted "Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" ;) Actually, my thought was similar to Luke's, but use fairy tales instead. Think McFarlane's twisted tales. XD

I'd say there's my 2 cents worth, but I think it's closer to a buck fifty at this point.

This is going to make me un-popular, and I have avoided the last 2 CMs just for this reason. But I figure, heck, I'm in deep enough, how bad can it get.

I would like to do something supporting the Crisis Pregnancy Center, or the Right to Life origination. I would like to do this because it is an issue that is very real, very powerful, and very painful. I am a devout Christian. Not all of yall are. That's fine. This has less to do with Christ and more to do with the holocaust of the unborn. Almost 50 million children have been killed by their mothers since Roe v. Wade. And no one talks about it much, because if you're connected to it you're ashamed, or the liberals will try to skin you alive. Also, it is not just an American epidemic, it is something that happens all over the world. I'm not suggesting we take on the world here, just perhaps we could give some comfort to those who need it, and provide education before hand for another.

I feel very strongly about this issue as a whole, and I hope that it shows. However, it is a very tender subject, and while I have never been renown for tact, I understand if I'm the only one who wants to do it. It could incorporate ideas from BHM, Bob and Luke, supporting both children and women.

As for themes, well, Hasbro has never copyrighted "Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" ;) Actually, my thought was similar to Luke's, but use fairy tales instead. Think McFarlane's twisted tales. XD

I'd say there's my 2 cents worth, but I think it's closer to a buck fifty at this point.

I would support this cause, as I feel the same way about this issue. But like you said, it is a controversial subject. Everyone might not agree to support this cause, and majority rules. I do like your fairy tales idea too. :)

Edit: And after further consideration, I agree with some others here that a less controversial subject would be more appropriate for this event.

Edited by luke314pi

OK, this is a very sensitive issue and since English isn't my mother-tongue - as I mentioned a few times here - I might not got all the provided information those two mentioned institutions do explain on their sites or are explained via Wikipedia. I really do think that this is - besides a religious - a cultural thing as well, since I would never support something like that - as far as I understood it in all it's consequences - here. And I don't see things like that being established in Continental Europe. At least not in Germany, France, Austria or the Netherlands. Also, the way the term "epidemic" and especially "holocaust" are used there lets me feel queasy. This is a cultural thing as well.

Just like I said, I feel very sorry in case I missunderstood some important aspects, but I do support every women's right to have - under individual circumstances - an abortion. I guess there should no one else - especially no male - have the possibility to decide whether to have or not to have such medical intervention except the women herself, although, of course, there should be consultations. In my eyes you won't get to the core of the matter's complexity by just saying "no".

I don't want to discuss things like that here - I know very well why the topic description of the "Minimate's Arms" thread reads "a place to discuss anything but religion & politics" -, but I felt like having to explain myself a little more than just decline the idea.

So, since this is a very delicate cause for charity - given our board's worldwide range - and I absolutely do respect your feelings about it TM2 as well as Luke's support -, I would say we choose something less, well, ambivalent.

Bob makes a good point. Even if the majority were to agree to this cause, there would definitely be people who disagree. It would probably be best to find a cause we can all rally around together in the spirit of this event.

Edited by luke314pi

Personally I'd go with whatever charity suits the majority but to be honest I don't think it is 100% necessary that the customs revolve around the actual charity or it's name. I chose cancer research because this shit can choose anybody it likes despite their age,sex,politics or race .

I am pro choice, even though my choice is no abortions ever, so I could not get behind something like a prolife cause. I liked Fuji's idea of people who have changed the world but instead of the Carbon Fund I feel the money should go to Amnesty International. It's a world wide human rights organization and I think that is something we could all get behind.

Personally I'd go with whatever charity suits the majority but to be honest I don't think it is 100% necessary that the customs revolve around the actual charity or it's name. I chose cancer research because this shit can choose anybody it likes despite their age,sex,politics or race .

I agree with BHM and his choice of charities. However much I'd like to see everyone make custom "Tumormates", I would rather have great Minimate customs rather than trying to force customs to a difficult theme.

As a supporter of CPC for years, I agree with TM2 on this one (if anything, making a Minimate custom is easier than a 2 1/2 mile walk every year), however I'm not sure it's something for this board. Also, the only CPC listed on eBay is a local office in California which kind of keeps things on a very local level.

And just an FYI about Crisis Pregnancy Centers. They are not just a pro-life organization, but offer counseling and support for mothers who are undecided about what to do with an unwanted pregnancy. They offer all sorts of services, clothing, bedding, food and counseling to anyone, free of charge. Not that this thread is about something controversial, but I just wanted to point out that they are not an organization just promoting an agenda, but are people who want to help other people when they're in a hard situation with difficult choices. I think this might be why TM2 suggested it (although he can say if I've missed his point).

Back onto other topics, is there anyone on the board who suffers or is close to someone who suffers from any kind of disease or chronic illness? Maybe that hits more towards BHM's suggestion, but is it possible to make this more personal towards this boards members?

I would support this cause, as I feel the same way about this issue. But like you said, it is a controversial subject. Everyone might not agree to support this cause, and majority rules. I do like your fairy tales idea too. :)

While I understand your feelings and theology on the above matter, and I also understand that by your own admission you have never been renown for your tact, the way your above statement about the "holocoust of the unborn" and a couple of other things kind of piss me off. And it is possible that others here might take offense or have issue with the way you phrased a couple of things.

As a supporter of CPC for years, I agree with TM2 on this one (if anything, making a Minimate custom is easier than a 2 1/2 mile walk every year), however I'm not sure it's something for this board. Also, the only CPC listed on eBay is a local office in California which kind of keeps things on a very local level.

And just an FYI about Crisis Pregnancy Centers. They are not just a pro-life organization, but offer counseling and support for mothers who are undecided about what to do with an unwanted pregnancy. They offer all sorts of services, clothing, bedding, food and counseling to anyone, free of charge. Not that this thread is about something controversial, but I just wanted to point out that they are not an organization just promoting an agenda, but are people who want to help other people when they're in a hard situation with difficult choices. I think this might be why TM2 suggested it (although he can say if I've missed his point).

Back onto other topics, is there anyone on the board who suffers or is close to someone who suffers from any kind of disease or chronic illness? Maybe that hits more towards BHM's suggestion, but is it possible to make this more personal towards this boards members?

I have diabetes. And a degenerative spinal disease. And I know a couple of people with MS.

I have chronic flatulence which is life-threatening to those around me :P

I'm sorry but I'll go for attempted humour rather than my actual sad tales.

edit: Doc I was writing my post before I saw yours.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I have chronic flatulence which is life-threatening to those around me :P

I'm sorry but I'll go for attempted humour rather than my actual sad tales.

edit: Doc I was writing my post before I saw yours.

Wow. Make me feel like a jerk for not being normal :P