Bob's Customs - Assassin's Creed II Ezio, p.29

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nate, thank you very much! (I missed your comment here for some reason.)

I was thinking about customizing Abe, but back then I had no idea how to do his gills and I haven't thought about him since then. Now we got the Creature From The Black Lagoon and there might be some new possibilities.

Right now anything Hellboy is on my to do list, but I'll look into him later.

• 3 weeks later...

You already saw them at CustomCon 30 but as I said, after submitting the pics I went back and tweaked every single one of them. More or less. So let me re-introduce them to you again one by one:

Arkham-Logo.jpg

I wanted to do some Arkham Asylum inspired Minimates for quite a while now and I can even imagine working on another set. (And since Shamrock is going for Arkham City I might've found my niche here.) They are based on the game, but I changed some things here and there. Therefore I went with an own logo. But for now, let's start with the J-Man:

Arkham Joker

"Being an unrepentant homicidal maniac, extremely manipulative and antisocial, he is one of the most challenging patients at Arkham."

Besides Ledger's inspiring performance as the Joker in Nolan's second Batman movie, the Arkham Asylum one is the best take on the Joker I've seen. Mark Hamill did a great job and Joker's visual appereance in the video game is just amazing. Although he actaully never wore a straight jacket in the game, I thought it would work very, very well with him. And since the Minimates are only inspired by the game and I added my own details and ideas to them, this is the way I imagine him entering the Asylum. And when he steps off of that hand cart, he already looks insanely dangerous, don't you think?

The tweak I did here was very subtile: I painted his ears white, since I totally forgot that the fisrt time. I guess you don't see it on the original CustomCon submission, though.

Recipe: I painted a generic head white and added a clear decal for his face based on some of Luke's original designs adding some details to the mix. I tried several hair pieces (Movie Gambit thanks to eclipse and Man in Black's) and fianlly went with George Mason's hair because of the receding hairline. I really like it although it's not a typical Joker hairstyle. Other than that I used that incredible SotL straight jacket and painted his pants in Arkham Orangeâ„¢. Click on any of these pics to see more of him on my flickr page.

Arkham-Joker-01.jpg Arkham-Joker-02.jpg

"Welcome to the madhouse, Bats! I set a trap and you sprang it gloriously! Now let's get this party started."

Here's the scond inmate of my version of the famous psychiatric hospital located on the outskirts of Gotham City:

Killer Croc

"Born with a series of physical disfigurements, Waylon Jones is a misanthrope increasingly embracing an animalist, subhuman self-conception, viewing himself as a dangerous beast."

He's the first bad guy - besides the Joker - you meet in the game and he looks impressive. And huge. Really huge. For my design I basicly went with this concept art and I wanted him to be big, but not as huge as in the game. Bane should dominate the scene. So while looking through my parts bin I came across that completely useless piece from Movie Abomination / GB Butt Ugly Monster and I loved it!

The tweak I did here was a new color scheme. I wasn't that satisfied with the original design so I added a darker green tone and those darker spots on his skin. I think it works way better than his original look. And I bulked that stone on the chain up a little. He has that thing on the control art and I really liked it being his accessory.

Recipe: A completely repainted Movie Abomination with pants in Arkham Orangeâ„¢. The bonds (? handcuffs?) on his arms are from Movie Mk1 Iron Man and I added that ripped of chain on one of them. The bonds on his legs and his stone accessory are Apoxie sculpt. His face is a decal. His feet are modified from 90s Beast. Click on any of these pics to see more of him on my flickr page.

Arkham-KillerCroc-01.jpg Arkham-KillerCroc-02.jpg

"I've got your scent, Batman! I'm going to hunt you down. "

Next one from my Arkham Asylum series is

Mr. Zsasz

"A low-minded sociopath and asocial serial killer, carving a mark for each of his victims into his own body."

Zsaz was a late addition to my set. The fourth spot was vacant and while browsing through the really cool concept arts I saw him and immediately had the idea how to customize him. Besides his scars, those security arm sleeves - in lack of a proper name for it - really give him this scary and crazy look. When I finished him, I realized that guy's a real sleeper. He might be my favorite custom in the whole set.

The tweak I did here were the scars. In the first version I thought about painting all those scars on his body, but it looked terrible. So I went with Kraven's chest piece which already has some scars on it. But it wasn't what I was looking for. Then I had this idea I really, really like: I gave him actual scars. I cut little slahes all over his torso, arms and legs and it immediately looks (and feels!) like real scars. I like that look a lot!

Recipe: Invader Narmor's body (or any other nude body) with one of those ugly diaper parts from the older bulked up figures. On him it looks good, since it should be recognized as this thick safety pants. His sleeves consist of two GB elbow pads and a Firefighter sleeve. I painted his pants and sleeves in Arkham Orangeâ„¢ and added a weathered metallic look at the end of the sleeve. His face (I modified Luke's Voldemord design) and head tattoo are decals. The little thingy on his nec is the little thingy that came with Frankenstein. Click on any of these pics to see more of him on my flickr page.

Arkham-Zsasz-01.jpg Arkham-Zsasz-02.jpg

"I see anything that looks even a LITTLE BIT like a bat and this guard DIES. Do you hear me?"

Thanks guys!

I gotta know though, can his elbows still bend?

Yes, that's possible. You have to adjust the elbow pads a little, then you can bend them and set him up in different poses. Not completely, but I guess that's the idea of those things, right?

Joker wore a straight jacket in the opening sequence of Arkham Asylum.

Can't wait for Harley! Gona use Little Red's hair?

Also, stupid question, but how do you get your photos to have curved corners like that?

You mean the scene in Bat's car? You might be right. Cool. ;)

Harley's on the list and I have several pieces collected for her. I'm not sure if I can wait for Little Red, but it's a good idea.

And for the curved corners, it's photoshopped/gimped. Just put a layer with a small white frame above the actual image.

Bane's up next and I really like the late addtions to him. I think I'll find the time to present him tomorrow.

I thought your Zsasz was the best of yor Arkham Asylum set, and I really love the new details. I never would have thought about making actual cuts into the Minimates, and I'm impressed that it works so well. And I still love how you did the sleeves.

Here's the last one (so far) from my Arkham Asylum series:

Bane

"One of the worst substance abuse cases, Bane is both physically and mentally addicted to the Venom compound, becoming a physical monstrosity and a highly intelligent and strategic mind."

I bought Juggernaut to use this new bulked up body for customs. I was planing to do a different guy first, but I postponed that idea when I thought about the Arkham set. Bane was the first character I really wanted to do. I knew that he'd need a lot of sculpting and that was a real challenge. I haven't used that much sculpted parts on a custom, ever. I hated it a little, but I'm satisfied with how he turned out. This one here, not the original version. He really needed those bigger tubes on his back and I found them when I was up at my parents' attic where all my old Legos are stored. I really like the weathered metallic look on his arm and leg cuffs and the rusty look on those tubes.

The tweak I did here was some sculpting on his backpack and adding the tubes. He wasn't finished when I submitted the original pics, but I really wanted to participate. A few days after the deadline I went back and started working on the bigger tubes on his back and also added his belt, which I also forgot.

Recipe: I used a bulked up Juggernaut including his face. I used an Ultimate Cap mask modified with Apoxie sculpt and re-painted it. I cut holes in the back of the mask and put the smaller tubes trough it to make it look as if those tubes were really stuck in his head. The gear on his torso is a modiefied backpack from a G.I. Joe figure with some sulpting for the metal collar. His arm and leg cuffs are sculpted and I added a lot of smaller plastic pieces (including a Minimate cell phone, which is kind of funny). His belt is sculpted. I went with sanded down Thing feet, since I wanted him to be barefoot and Hulks feet were way too big. To connect the bigger tubes to his arms I drilled holes in the Juggernaut shoulder pieces and added some Apoxie sculpt. The bigger tubes are Legos. His backpack is a Ghostbusters' proton pack with an Fire Fighter's oxygen tank, a modified Hercules' mace and some Apoxie sculpt. I guess that's it. Click on any of these pics to see more of him on my flickr page.

Arkham-Bane-01.jpg Arkham-Bane-02.jpg

"I will fold you like paper!"

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job, Bob! Your customs are the best!

• 2 weeks later...

I just added you to my flickr friends list and commented on your customs folder over there, awesome customs, i'm not all familiar with some of the characters you've done but they do look great!

:biggrin:

Rich