566 replies to this topic

#341 hellpop

hellpop

Vootie!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

Okay... my response to Bob's blatant thievery is up on my blog. Now, you might say that the fact that it took me a week to even get around to doing this is symptomatic of the same laziness that lead me to never getting around to posting these guys in the first place; well, I say... nuts to you. Nuts. To. You!!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: HELLPOP GETS IT.

Great. there will be no living with him now.rolleyes.gif

#342 Aapje

Aapje

My Voices Keep Saying Minimate O.o

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

Are you actually serious?
I mean the only things that are the same are some of the existing parts is...nothing
Okay, maybe they look a little alike, but how many exactly good looking parts for customs are there?
And Bob even used his own decals for some...
Soooo, ehm oooookaaay :confused: :rolleyes:
Favorite quote for now:
Dan Slott - "If you see a character eating a kitten, they're probably a Skrull."

Check out my custom page where comments always are appreciated :)

#343 hellpop

hellpop

Vootie!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

I mean the only things that are the same are some of the existing parts is...nothing
Okay, maybe they look a little alike, but how many exactly good looking parts for customs are there?

If you honestly think that anything of what I wrote about Bob is serious, I must be a better satirist then I thought. So, thanks!

#344 Joe Hill

Joe Hill

I like minimates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

The entire Preacher set is amazing! I feel you did an exemplary job in choosing the specific parts that best represented the characters. I really want to see what's under Cassidy's sunglasses...

#345 Aapje

Aapje

My Voices Keep Saying Minimate O.o

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:38 AM

If you honestly think that anything of what I wrote about Bob is serious, I must be a better satirist then I thought. So, thanks!

Well, excuse me for being a idiot... :confused:
Welcome to my life of confusion :laugh:
Favorite quote for now:
Dan Slott - "If you see a character eating a kitten, they're probably a Skrull."

Check out my custom page where comments always are appreciated :)

#346 Bob Harris

Bob Harris

What do you think?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

Aapje, thanks for defending me against this silly wannabe customizer failpop. He's a real jerky. :tongue: And sorry, you fell for him, I knew what he was up to.

Failpop, I like your trash talk. Really. I mean, it's way better than your customs, though.

Joe, did you read the comics? I don't want to spoil anything here.
Spoiler

____
Edit: Nifty new spoiler tags.

Edited by Bob Harris, 15 April 2011 - 02:06 AM.

#347 hellpop

hellpop

Vootie!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:07 AM

Failpop, I like your trash talk. Really. I mean, it's way better than your customs, though.

Aw, man, burn! Wow, I'm glad I'm not this Failpop guy, 'cause you just OWNED him! :yes:

Wait a minute... :verymad:

#348 Bob Harris

Bob Harris

What do you think?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

Aw, man, burn! Wow, I'm glad I'm not this Failpop guy, 'cause you just OWNED him! :yes:

Wait a minute... :verymad:

Feel free to quote that in your signature. :whistling:
And let me quote my buddy Peter here: "Round House!"
But, as you said, the feud ended.
:highfive2:

#349 Joe Hill

Joe Hill

I like minimates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:20 PM

Joe, did you read the comics? I don't want to spoil anything here.

Spoiler

____

Oh I didn't read your head choice for Cassidy, it would work perfect!

#350 Bob Harris

Bob Harris

What do you think?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

The annual Charitymates event brings you the Tournament of Fighters and I'm proud to introduce my fighter:

Lukas Rand "Tetsuwan"

"Lukas Rand was born 1842 in a small town in Massachusetts. He was raised by his father, a native from the South Pacific island of Rokovoko, while his mother, an African American woman, died of puerperal fever shortly after Lukas' birth.

At the age of 12, Lukas got to Japan along with his father. It was right after US Navy Commodore Matthew Perry used his superior steam powered weaponry to force Japan to open its borders to trade. His father took his chance to start a new life in Japan. He found work as a saddler and shortly after got married to a Japanese woman. In the same year, Lukas got to know his stepmother's uncle, Kambei Mifune, a respected aristocrat and skilled swordmaster. Mifune started to look after Lukas and provided him an excellent school education and introduced him to kenjutsu, the traditional technique of the sword. Lukas soon developed a close bond to Mifune, who eventually became his master. Lukas trained his kenjutsu skills and folowed the rules of Bushidō, becoming the first black samurai in Japan at age 26.

While defending his family in a battle, Lukas lost his left arm, but he could not prevent his father's death. Mifune was impressed by Lukas' effort and asked his former student, the extraordinary talented weaponsmith Hattori Hanzō, for help. Hanzō consented to that wish and started developing some ideas. Besides forging swords, he recently started to work with the new American and European steam technology. With his associate, a French gentleman and visionary called Jules Verne, they created a steam powered iron prosthesis, more effective and elegant than the rather clumsy and random creations by America's top weapon manufacturer, Stark Industries. Lukas was quickly able to use the iron arm as natural as his own. To honor his father, he painted his ancestors' traditional tattoos on his new arm, to which Hanzō and Verne included some powerful gadgets.

In 1878 master Mifune was murdered in an assault by a hired assasin. Lukas denied commiting seppuku, the ritual suicide, and therefore became a rōnin. Masterless, he started to travel through Japan, offering his incredible combat and swordfighting skills, as well as his wisdom, as a Yōjinbo, a "hero for hire", to earn money for a living. With no family left and his master fallen, he stopped calling himself Lukas Rand and became the man with no name, people refering to as Tetsuwan - Iron Arm.

Recently, the crime lord Yagyū Saki hired Lukas and tricked him into the Tournament of Fighters. Sent through time and space, Lukas has no personal interest in winning the tournament at all, since Saki hired him and therfore will be granted the tournament's grande price. But one thing is cristal clear, Lukas sure wants to survive this tournament - and he knows how to do so.
"

The character is influenced by a lot of stuff. He exists somehow in my Furyous Basterds Universe, where he is a mix of Luke Cage and Daniel Rand, hence the name. I guess you all got the "works as a hero for hire" reference, right? The yellow shirt is inspired by the original Powerman, while the kung-fu style is the Iron Fist influence. Same for the Name, since "Tetsuwan" literally seems to mean Iron Arm. And I really wnated to give him this samurai hairdo, so making him a samurai was mandatory. Then there's a little bit of steampunk involved. Initially he should have a bulky iron arm, but then I had the idea of the Japanese steam powered stuff would be more elegant. Like a katana compared to a European sword. In the beginning, he should also have a lot of tribal tattoos, but he looked strange. The inspiration here was Queequeg to whom Tetsuwan's father originating from Rokovoko still is a reference. Oh, and the eye patch? Well, it just gives you a +10 to badassness.

The recipe: I used Ryu's repainted "small 'skirt' piece" (that's the official term!) and black legs and feet. For his face and chest I used decals. His iron arm consists of a Wolverine shoulder thingy, a slightly repainted Octopus arm and a Cyborg hand. Tetsuwan's hair is sculpted onto a MAX fire fighter hair piece. His katana is a repainted Lego samurai sword.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
"If one were to say in a word what the condition of being a samurai is, its basis lies first in seriously devoting one's body and soul to his master. " (Lukas Rand)

Edited by Bob Harris, 24 May 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#351 hellpop

hellpop

Vootie!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

Nice work, Bob! I could see the Power Man/ Iron Fist influence right away, before even reading the summary. Nice use of the Octopus arm, which I thought totally useless up until this moment. :thumbsup:

#352 Bob Harris

Bob Harris

What do you think?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:00 AM

Thanks man! I always like the deatils on Octopuss parts, but never saw any use for them before, either.

#353 boyd

boyd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

Great job on Lukas Rand! Like Hellpop said, the Power Man & Iron Fist influences are nicely done without robbing the figure of his own identity.

And any customizer who can do anything with Octopus parts deserves a medal.

Boyd's Minimate Customs - The custom Minimate site that's collecting dust.

#354 Bob Harris

Bob Harris

What do you think?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Boyd!

And any customizer who can do anything with Octopus parts deserves a medal.

Come on, give him some love! ;)

#355 boyd

boyd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:43 AM

Your Preacher Minimates are getting some love from all over the Internet today, Bob. Both Toycutter and Comics Alliance have them featured.

Boyd's Minimate Customs - The custom Minimate site that's collecting dust.

#356 Bob Harris

Bob Harris

What do you think?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the info Boyd! Cool!

#357 Bob Harris

Bob Harris

What do you think?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

I intended to display my latest custom, but somehow my browser crashed and now I'm not willing to do it again. You have to wait until next week, when I come back from my little vacation. So stay tuned.

Some hints?

It's a comic character. He's pretty famous. He's neither Marvel nor DC. He's the protagonist of the still ongoing series. He got some badass equipment (which is the reason I wanted to customize him). He got me some headache customizing him (mostly because of his badass equipment). I guess none customized him before, but at least one character from the series has been done before. He's not really a hero. Healing factor is just one of his abilities. He loves him some big weapons, although he might win a barfight against Wolverine without them. Hell, could be anyone, right?

#358 MINI_MYTE

MINI_MYTE

King of the Monsters!

• MMC
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

I'm gonna guess Spawn.

The Minibar mixes it up with the new Star Trek Legacy minimates. Beam on over to Shots From The Minibar to check it out
See where all the comic craziness began at Tales From The Minibar.

#359 Punisher

Punisher

C'mon, cat.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

If it's Spawn, you'll be my favorite person ever. I'm on a huge spawn kick right now.

#360 Bob Harris

Bob Harris

What do you think?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:56 AM

Good guess, Mini-Myte so prepare to have a new favorite person ever, Punisher. Spawn it is. :yes:

Before I post pics later on I'd like to quote Shamrock:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm making this post so that my next update gets put onto the next page, purely for the sake of convenience of comments (...).

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)