UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bob's Customs - Assassin's Creed II Ezio, p.29

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next up in my Hellboy mini-series is another character everybody guessed right and nothing that spectacular. So no surprise this time. Anyway, here is:

Liz Sherman

Liz is more of a supporting character in the comics and Mignola originally intended to even let her die at one point of the story. However, since every good story needs at least one good female character she stayed; and played some major roles in the developing story arc. I like the way she feels guilty (in her childhood she accidentally killed 32 people including her paraents and brother with her pyrocinetics) and is aware of her still not being able to control that "gift". That gives her character a melancholic timbre I really like.

After customizing the other three characters I felt like I wanted to add a fourth one and suddenly realized that I actually owned all main incredients needed for a pretty easy and quick custom of Liz. (Or Kate Corrigan, who wears very similar cloth, but has nothing that iconic as Liz' pyrocinetic fire ball.) She isn't recognizable without context (here: gang), but so is comic Liz as well I guess. I used movie Parker's jacket (which fits perfectly, since the BPRD women usually wear those brown zipper jackets!) and the rolled up sleeves that recently came with one of the movie Logans. I know that the hair part belongs to Pepper Potts and the shirt to BSG's Sharon Valerii, but I can't remember to whom the face belongs. Her gloves are actually 24's David Palmer's real hands and the fireball in that guessing pic is from Invaders' Human Torch.

Liz.jpg

Two down, two to go :P

post-2080-1244138889_thumb.jpg

Nice use of the Parker jacket. I recognize that face, but I can't place it. Clarice from Silence of the Lambs, maybe?

Nah! Looks like Kara Thrace from BSG series 3.

I said maybe! :) But I think you're right. Good call.

I just noticed that I was totally wrong by calling the one in the back Abe Sapien I just noticed the "door-knocker" crotch that would make it Roger, right?

That guy in the back wasn't that obvious, but Shamrock was the first to get the detail, so here is "door-knocker-crutch-guy":

Roger the Homunculus

Roger is one of those very original characters in the BPRD universe: he started as some kind of a bad guy in a subplot, being a sleeping homunculus in a cellar, forgotten for centuries and being awoken by Liz. He killed two agents in the heat of the moment afterwards and ran away. Since Mignola isn't telling his stories chronological you get to know some background stories on Roger - HB named him like that - later on and he soon joined the bureau being a very humanely and even humanistic creature.

The recipe is pretty easy: I basicly used a random vanilla mate and added decals for Roger's face and chest. The black (flak) vest - with a BPRD logo on the backside - came with movie Jim Rhodes. For the "door-knocker-crutch" I used Milliput as the wooden part of it and two of those small keychain rings for the knocker part. It worked pretty well I think.

Roger-1.jpgRoger-2.jpg

So, who's the last one? Lobster Johnson? Abe? Johann? Maybe it could be a villain?

post-2080-1244217556_thumb.jpg

Lovely work Bob :thumbsup:

However there's still one thing that bugs me... Normally I love reading and can usually pick up on the details of a specific mythical or in-universe character, but after reading the page on it on Wikipedia I still cannot make heads or tails of what a "homunculus" actually is. :ohmy:

I mean, I sorta get what he's supposed to be... but usually when I really get something I canform a somewhat coherent mental image of it. Hippogriffs I get. Cthulhu I get. Shrunken heads, genii (the traditional form for genies), trepanning, I get. That ridiculous-looking spiky thing in M. Night Shyamalan's The Village I get. Even the blasted pseudo-science in Dan Brown's novels I get... but WTH is a homunculus?!??!!??

WTH is a homunculus?!??!!??

A homunculus is essentially a small Golem, but made differently. Roger is kinda large for a homunculus, because they're normally very small. like, small enough to fit in a jar.

Great work again Bob. I can't wait to see what that last one is, because it's the only one that had me stumped.

Edited by Shamrock

Kinda odd then that I'm not more familiar with them then... and I've watched A LOT of fantasy movies in my day. I wonder if any of the old movies I saw actually had homunculi in them... maybe they're the things I've been mistaking for pint-sized magic-induced robots this whole time :confused:

Back on topic: Who could the last one be? Could be Abe. Could be Lobster Johnson. Head looks kinda small for it to be Krauss's though. Maybe it's Kroenen? Wait, no blade-arms. (Dangit, Baraka memories again...)

but WTH is a homunculus?!??!!??

Homunculus is, as far as I do know, the scientific term for an artificial human brought to live by alchemistic - well - stuff. The Jewish Golem - as Shamrock stated - indeed is in a way a homunculus. In science - from medieval times up till recent philosophical and neuroscientific debates - the term is also often metaphorical used for a small man (that's the Latin meaning of homunculus) that "sits" in a complex machine and is able to control it. Today sometimes our brain (the homunculus) is regarded as something in us (the complex machine.) that is able to control "us".

Roger however just refers to the idea of a living being created entirely from inanimate matter. In "Almost Colossus" Roger's origin is described as being created by a German scientist in 15th century. Infact, Roger is kind of a homunculus 2.0, an updated version after the first one didn't turn out the way his creator wanted it to be. Why he has this porthole in his chest and the crutch thing isn't mentioned. (As far as I remember.)

Edited by Bob Harris

Great work on Liz and Roger. Love the detail work on both of them (and I was wondering how you'd handle* create Roger's codpiece).

*I was re-reading what I wrote, and saw the "handling codpieces" and though "Do I really want to leave that there for BHM to come along and make fun of?"

Back on topic: Who could the last one be? Could be Abe. Could be Lobster Johnson. Head looks kinda small for it to be Krauss's though. Maybe it's Kroenen? Wait, no blade-arms. (Dangit, Baraka memories again...)
Remember, he's doing comic designs. Comic Kroenen has no blade arms, and Krauss has a pretty normal sized head.

These look fantastic. As great as Roger's knocker looks, it's his face that really stands out to me. Very well done. You mentioned the BPRD logo on the back of Roger's jacket. Any chance we can get a pic of that?

As for the last guy, hmm... gloves, boots, a sidearm, strange collar piece, and an onion shaped head... no clue. I look forward to the reveal.

Edited by Turtle