UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Minimate Factory: Updated May 5th

Our store exclusive delayed this post by a few weeks, but better late than never!

On the Workbench: AoA Colossus

http://minimatefactory.com/blog'>mmv_mmf.jpg

I am happy to announce a new website dedicated to customizing minimates, the Minimate Factory!

I wanted to create a site that people in the minimates community can use as a resource for making customs. This is an idea I have had rolling around in my head for weeks, and I finally decided to make it happen. I will be updating this site regularly with reviews, recommendations, guides, tips, articles, and much more. I will be organizing everything into categories, and each article will be tagged for easy retrieval later. Last night I wrote down all the topics I have been considering, and I came up with enough material for over 40 updates.

The first article describes the pros and cons of the three main sculpting clays to use with minimates: Super Sculpey, Milliput, and Apoxie Sculpt. Each one is useful in a different way. I am currently working on the next update which should be posted sometime tomorrow.

This is a resource for all of you out there reading this. I would love to hear what you think of the site so far, and any ideas or requests you have for future updates. This will be a learning process for me as well. I will be updating this thread whenever I update the site, and there is also an RSS feed you can subscribe to. I hope you find this site useful!

http://www.minimatefactory.com'>http://www.minimatefactory.com

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been meaning to attempt some real customs for a long while now, and this resource may give me the kind of info. that I need to feel that I can confidently do it. One of my major concerns was with which "putty-types" to try, and how they really work, so right off the bat I feel like going out to buy some Apoxie sculpt and messing around with it (my only experience was with "Epoxy Putty" that I used giving one of my GI Joes gloves, and it wasn't so great. . .). I'll look forward to a similar review of the different paint types one might use.

I've been meaning to attempt some real customs for a long while now, and this resource may give me the kind of info. that I need to feel that I can confidently do it. One of my major concerns was with which "putty-types" to try, and how they really work, so right off the bat I feel like going out to buy some Apoxie sculpt and messing around with it (my only experience was with "Epoxy Putty" that I used giving one of my GI Joes gloves, and it wasn't so great. . .). I'll look forward to a similar review of the different paint types one might use.

The paint recommendations will be coming soon, as well as some sanding tips, which is one of the most important parts of the sculpting process.

Thanks guys!

awesome site luke! any chance of a huge custom "gallery" like MMHQ?

I think the gallery at MMHQ is excellent, and took an enormous amount of time and effort to create. I am very happy linking to their site as opposed to trying to re-create something of that scale. :)

Since every Wordpress blog I touch turns to splat these days, I must be doing something wrong. I can't seem to get this latest entry to come up...

But fantastic work Luke. I always wanted to do something like this but I simply lack your skill. Such a very cool website all around!

Update 11/02/08:

Custom Failures: Articulated Sentinel

(This time I linked to the individual post, as opposed to the main page. I hope it helps people who were having trouble seeing updates the first day after I post them.)

Oohhh... Ouch. That one hurt to look at Wow. And I do like the dead Sentinel trying to attack if you can get it in the right position. If you pull it off, give us some pics.