Mini-Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

My collection just got exponentially cooler:

Posted Image

Thanks a million, Rob!

I have steered very clear of Kubricks, but seeing your amazing collection Karamazov80 has got me wishing i started years ago. Unfortunately, the high prices on eBay makes collecting these as a late starter to the line a bit intimidating.

I'd say that I could be happy with just a Han in carbonite and a Boba Fett, but years ago I started collecting Minimates, and told myself that I'd be happy with just Spider-Man characters....then X-Men....then Avengers....and so on. I don't think my personality would allow me to just have a couple of these.
Finally updated my want/have list: UPDATED 9 November 2012

http://www.minimatem...ndpost&p=134538

Thanks

#222 karamazov80

karamazov80

The Enemy

• MMC
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

Sure, a couple is all you need! Then, you can quit anytime you want to! I mean, with a few exceptions of course. If you've got Han and Boba you would need Vader of course. And Chewie goes without saying for Han. And you can't really have Star Wars without Luke, Leia, the droids, and Obi Wan. And if you're doing the Cloud City thing, you need Lando of course. And the guys from Jabba's Palace who hung out around the Carbonite Han. And if you're doing Jabba's Palace, you might as well get the other figures from Jedi. And if you've gone there, you might as well get the figures from the other films as well, otherwise your collection won't be rounded out very well. . .but apart from that, you should have no problems.

Edited by karamazov80, 24 May 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#223 karamazov80

karamazov80

The Enemy

• MMC
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

It often seems like I'm talking to myself about Kubricks here, so maybe I'll stop soon. But not on this day! The new DX set has popped up on eBay, and one of the 1/96 exclusives is Luke's uncle from A New Hope. The other is the Hammerhead guy that I can only assume is gonna be worth $300 or so on his own.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3369eed544

Edited by karamazov80, 27 July 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#224 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Old Aged Muted Ninja Turtle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,133 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

I'm wondering if recent developments may have left the Medicom licence for Star Wars kubricks hanging in mid-air? I have no inside info but I'm noticing an unusually large raft of SW kubricks hitting ebay whilst much of the 'new' stuff being released are mainly rehashs.

Medicom licences have probably never affected the ability of a US company attaining similar but maybe we are closer than ever to the possibility of Star Wars Minimates ?

Edited by buttheadsmate, 02 December 2012 - 07:46 AM.

"........turtle sheller  .....!

#225 Mystery Man

Mystery Man

RODAN make RODAN RODAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

It often seems like I'm talking to myself about Kubricks here, so maybe I'll stop soon. But not on this day! The new DX set has popped up on eBay, and one of the 1/96 exclusives is Luke's uncle from A New Hope. The other is the Hammerhead guy that I can only assume is gonna be worth $300 or so on his own.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3369eed544

I wish I could afford ol' Momaw Nadon just for the sake of having him. One of my favorite SW characters.

#226 Kostisfire

Kostisfire

Destroyed the Reapers!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Are these still going? I've thought of buying some but i can't seem to find which are the new ones,etc.In fact do they still make kubricks of anything? How can you see what's going to bemade,what's new,etc?

7319666676_1729d77fa2.jpgMarvel_Civil_War_Crap_by_T_Stock87.png14574928045_77b1caafd4_z.jpg

#227 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,133 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

The kubrick 'scene' is very ....& I mean very ......quiet. 

#228 Ninja Mate

Ninja Mate

the Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

It's to bad it's so dead. They are pretty cool figures. Granted I only have about two dozen kubricks ( only 1 Star Wars ) but i like them.

Edited by Ninja Mate, 14 February 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#229 karamazov80

karamazov80

The Enemy

• MMC
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, I haven't been paying too much attention to the eBay listings or talk on other forums, but I haven't seen too much after the Star Wars rehashes we got and those Iron Man 2 figures awhile back.

Hardly any Kubricks announced any time in the recent past apparently. Look at this:

http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/

Be@rbricks everywhere, and just a handful of exclusive Star Wars Kubs. Kubrick Nation doesn't seem to exist, as I can't get to the discussion forum. Speculation on Jedi Defender is that they might be killing even their former golden goose:

http://www.jedidefen...p?topic=22606.0

Edited by karamazov80, 14 February 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#230 Mystery Man

Mystery Man

RODAN make RODAN RODAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

I've got a couple of Kubricks I like the looks of, along with about 6 sets worth of all the Universal Monsters stuff.

#231 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,133 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I've been picking up kubricks fairly reasonably of late that were once just stupidly expensive & 'never showing ever on ebay' . Writing has been on the wall for some while.

#232 Cappy

Cappy

Mini-Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Sweet. Because there are a couple of very pricey ones I'm interested. Maybe they'll drop down into my price range. (Is that too ghoulish? Too soon?) :)

You were too busy buying stuff to get anything for free. -- bhm

#233 Shanester

Shanester

Jerkface

• Root Admin
  • 11,011 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

I need Dracula's coffin and a Tarkin.  As long as both of those crash, I am good.

Growing old is inevitable… growing up is optional.

#234 karamazov80

karamazov80

The Enemy

• MMC
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Sweet. Because there are a couple of very pricey ones I'm interested. Maybe they'll drop down into my price range. (Is that too ghoulish? Too soon?) smile.png

How could you? sad.png

Truthfully, I was looking back at the huge Kubrick thread earlier (that was essentially a long ass conversation between myself and BHM :D ), and got a bit sad at the prospect of no more Kubricks.  Oh, well.

#235 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,133 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

Some ol' American bloke once said "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated " ....... the kubrick's demise is far from certain but I can easily cite the reasons for their decline .  

"You can fool some of the people all of the time & all of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time"

- attributed to another ol' American bloke

............would sum it up nicely.

Edited by buttheadsmate, 15 February 2013 - 04:09 AM.

#236 karamazov80

karamazov80

The Enemy

• MMC
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Yeah, I think there is something to that. When you're talking about a niche market that has been interested in the specialness and collectibility of these things for years, and you start down a path of primarily rehashes and rereleases--particularly rereleases of the 1/96 chases as commonly available figures--then you're taking a gamble. You risk turning off your existing customer base in the hopes of attracting new collectors who don't care about the collectibility component so much. I guess that gamble didn't pay off in a world where folks have so many other options when it comes to both action figures and collectible toys.

On another front, I wonder how much longer the Real Action Heroes line can continue in a world where more and more collectors are developing an expectation for realism and quality over uniformity to older figures?

Edited by karamazov80, 15 February 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#237 Shanester

Shanester

Jerkface

• Root Admin
  • 11,011 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

I still know a lot of people who are rabid for Star Wars Kubricks, but I think the re-releases have done serious damage.  I think Medicom does a good job with them.  They are unique and artfully done, but every dog has his day...

#238 karamazov80

karamazov80

The Enemy

• MMC
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

With Star Wars, it seems that all they've done for the last couple of years have been con exclusives (which are usually rereleases or minor repaints) and those "DX" sets, which are primarily rehashes apart from the 2 new characters per wave or so and the BAFs, so I guess Medicom felt they had milked that cow about as well as they could.

Edited by karamazov80, 15 February 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#239 Shanester

Shanester

Jerkface

• Root Admin
  • 11,011 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

I thought the BAFs would really kick up the interest but I guess not.  Are the BAFs crap or is it the figures that you have to (re)get?

#240 karamazov80

karamazov80

The Enemy

• MMC
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I think they are OK, I just don't think they are anything really special. Jabba was a great idea IMO, but the others are less essential and could be passed on by collectors I think. You're asking around $80-100 for the basic set of 6 3" figures (mostly rehashes) plus a non-essential BAF, and I think at some point collectors balk at that. I like the updated figures, but not enough to have anything past wave 2. And I'm an OT fan. Maybe if Medicom moved away from the box of 12 figures idea, put the chases idea aside, and just sold complete sets for a more reasonable price (like, $40-50) it would be more bearable from my perspective.

Edited by karamazov80, 15 February 2013 - 12:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users