UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Custom Minimates Project

After seeing the CREATE-A-MATE customs that Jaycen is selling on eBay and thinking about Jesse DeStatio's Art of the Action Figure Exhibit I was wondering if customizers from this board would be interested in joining me in a Custom Minimates Project.

I imagine the project something like this. First, we collect, display, and photograph customs donated by customizers (with a central theme perhaps?), maybe to push the envelope of the Minimates design itself or what have you and submit them to an upcoming Custom Con. Second, we sell the Minimates on eBay with the proceeds being split threeways - 1/3 going to a charity, 1/3 going to the MMMV, and 1/3 going back to the artists.

It's just a rough idea and we can all get together and hammer things out but what do you guys think? Would anyone be interested in participating in this?

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the theme should be. I'm thinking we should stay away from licensed properties for legal reasons. Maybe it could somehow coincide with the charity that we choose. Maybe 'Great Social Activists' could be the theme? We could make Gandhi, Mother Teresa, David Suzuki, etc. Just an idea off the top of my head. Anyone else have an idea?

And I mentioned initially that the split should be 1/3 all around but perhaps 50% should go to charity with 25% going to the MMMV and 25% being divided by the artists.

Fujis, how about Classic Monsters for the theme? Creatures such as a mummy, vampire, werewolf, etc.

Yeah, that'd be cool. We could donate the proceeds to the Blood Bank.

Anyone else have any theme ideas they want to toss out?

Classic monsters and blood bank sound cool.

Has anyone OK'd this with the powers that be if it's going to have the "verse's" name attached to it or is this going to be out of MMHQ?

All of the above has piqued my interest, count me in. (even 99% of my customs suck :P )

T.

Has anyone OK'd this with the powers that be if it's going to have the "verse's" name attached to it or is this going to be out of MMHQ?

I don't want it to be a MMMV thing or a MMHQ thing. Just a project that I thought of that could benefit a charity, the Multiverse, and get the artists some exposure. But I guess I should have asked first. Shanester, are you cool with this idea?

Thing is, those are actually licensed characters, by Universal.

That would be the characters from the films but I imagine we could do generic monsters.

So should we roll with the Classic Monsters/Blood Bank idea or keep brainstorming? Does anyone know of a charity or cause that needs help right now? Something to do with Global Warming maybe? Helping to protect the polar ice-caps? Rain Forests in Brazil?

Hmm, well as long as we do our own takes on Frankenstein, Dracula, a lagoon monster, etc we should be ok... I know there was a "Creatures of the Night" run of busts that were done by a company not affiliated with Universal... they got away with doing almost an exact clone of Creature from the Black Lagoon simply by calling it "Creature from the Depths" so the idea could still work

The classic monsters themselves are not trademarked, only Universal's specific versions of them. Once this gets rolling we should list who we are going to be doing just to be safe. Alien and Predator do not count as classic monsters. :P

I like the connection of the Monsters/Blood Bank idea but the Red Cross was already helped out by the Bad Apple Comics exclusive. Not that I'd be against another contribution but we could spread the love around a bit.

Any other ideas?

(And while everyone's thinking, I'm sending an email to America's Blood Centers website. Interestingly enough June 14th is World Blood Donor Day)

I don't want it to be a MMMV thing or a MMHQ thing. Just a project that I thought of that could benefit a charity, the Multiverse, and get the artists some exposure. But I guess I should have asked first. Shanester, are you cool with this idea?

Or just make it where I am the "bad guy" if I say no.

In theory, everything sounds like a great idea. In reality, it seldom is.

Or just make it where I am the "bad guy" if I say no.

In theory, everything sounds like a great idea. In reality, it seldom is.

Sorry to put you on the spot like that Shane and thanks!

Okay, so why don't we roll with the Classic Monsters/America's Blood Center thing then - people seem to be happy with the idea. And the connection to World Blood Donor Day is pretty neat. Does anyone have an idea for a name for the project?

And how do people feel about the donation breakdowns? Should we do the 50/25/25 thing or should we go all out and give 75% to ABC and 25% to the MMMV?

Count me in as well. If we do a classic monster theme and not liescenced characters, who exactly are we doing? I am guessing we are doing renderings of Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, werewolves and mummies. No Lugosis, Karloffs or Chaney Jrs right? If yes, than no Krugers, Voorhees and Myers right? How many classic monsters are there? I can only think of like 10 or so. Somebody shed some light!

Another idea could be an all ZOMBIE theme. Imagine a graveyard group shot of all our custom zombies together. And the proceeds could go to an "organ donor" charity. What do you guys think of that as another idea?

Another idea could be an all ZOMBIE theme. Imagine a graveyard group shot of all our custom zombies together. And all the proceed could go to an "organ donor" charity. What do you guys think of that as another idea?

That could work.

And as for the classic monsters Luke just sent me this list:

* Dracula

* Frankenstein's Monster

* Bride of Frankenstein

* Mummy

* Invisible Man

* Werewolf

* Swamp Creature

* Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde

* Zombie

* Phantom of the Opera

I'm all for what ever the "GROUP" decides on, but seeing how popular the zombies are in the minimate world, I move that we go the living dead way on this project. This way everybody's on a level playing field. No one will bicker as to who gets to do Dracula or whoever.

Think or the possibilities:

-Cop Zombie

-Soldier Zombie

-Nurse Zombie

-Fat guy Zombie

-Priest Zombie

-Construction worker Zombie

-Cheerleader Zombie

-Soccer mom Zombie

-Clown Zombie

-Business man Zombie

-Hooker Zombie

etc...

But like I said, I'll go which ever way the group decides.

My Vote: Zombie theme

Okay, so we've already got 11 customizers who want to be involved: myself, a friend of mine, hyejinx1984, Shamrock, Deadpool, luke314pi, TBT!, Nervous, Jatta Pake, thepunisher=D, and MINI-MYTE...are there more than 10 classic monsters?

And how does everyone feel about the donation breakdown? I think it should be 75/25, Luke suggested 50/50, anyone else?

And for the actual making of the customs how much time would people need? Two weeks? Four weeks? And once everyone is finished I can pay for them to be shipped to me and I can photograph the entire group and list them on eBay as well (at my cost).

This way everybody's on a level playing field. No one will bicker as to who gets to do Dracula or whoever.

I figured we would randomly assign characters to avoid the bickering.

-Soccer mom Zombie

:lol:

I am fine with either zombies or classic monsters. Zombies might make organization alot easier.

I think 3-4 weeks would be a fair amount of time.

Edit: Also I'm sure there are other customizers who will throw their hat in during the next few days, so maybe zombies is a better way to go.