UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The "Target & Rerelease" figure variation thread!

AdyCarter

I know a lot of people are confused by this, one of the easiest way to tell if you have the figures is by the copyright date or the torso construction, however a lot of people are curious as to if there is a difference BEFORE they go buy the figures, so here you go... any additions just post em, or if my pictures suck as much as I think they do, please post better ones!

(please note, Im only going on visual differences here, ALL of the Target re-releases except Nightcrawler have had the C3/Lego style feet)

Credit for some images to NightViper and Minijeff, I believe in all images the newer one is to the right

Iceman:

iceman1ho.gif

The original was "clear" the Target one has a blue tint.

Dark Phoenix:

105_4480.jpg

The Target version is slightly redder with more defined facial details.

Hulk:

hulk3ct.jpg

The "Ultimate Avengers DVD" Hulk has lighter decals, to the point of almost having no eyes.

Iron Man:

ironman2ep.jpg

The "Ultimate Avengers DVD" Iron Man has extra detailing around the lower legs, also under the mask his facial hair is darker.

Captain America:

cap0vs.jpg

The "Ultimate Avengers DVD" Cap has a slightly altered facial expression and the red and white lines on his top are mirrored.

Daredevil:

dd0fd.jpg

The Target one features more shading.

Prof. X:

prof0cu.jpg

The Target one has a blue suit.

Spider-Woman:

womanspider0pt.jpg

The Target and TRU 4-Pack version has an angry face.

Ghost Rider:

rider6we.jpg

The TRU 10 Pack one had yellower hair, the middle one is the regular release and the other one is the Target version

Great thread, Ady. That Dark Pheonix from Target sports very high facial detailing, where as mine has lower. Hmm.

Holy...! Spider-Woman from TRU and Target looks like an albino compared to the regular release! (I never got the original) And in vice versa, her skin looks...mottled... :yucky:

No pics, but there's more Hulk variants. The one that came in the two-pack had a medium green for the paint details and the abs were straight across. The one I got in the TRU five pack (the one with the "mystery" Grey Hulk) had darker paint apps and the horizontal lines for the abs had a slight curve to them. Also, the two pack version had molded veins in the hands, while the five pack had regular hands.

Edit: Here's a scan of the chests. Two-pack on the left, five-pack on the right.

hulk_chest.jpg

Technically Target Ghost Rider and Daredevil are really totally different mates, not just altered existing, sort of wrong to lump them in with the others IMO

That's a valid point, Cyc, but it doesn't hurt to leave them in the thread. It might help newbies understand that some of the Target and/or TRU releases are new characters.

Thanks for this, Ady. I've been struggling to keep the differences sorted out. Ady, it might be worth stating, after each description, whether popular opinion considers each a variant, factory run, or new character.

Also, might you include the Series 12 / 4-pack Capt America as well? For a while there, I couldn't keep track if the 4-pack version matched Series 12 or the DVD. getting old, i know...

I say all of them are worthy variants and warrant searching for except Target Dark Phoenix, TRU Ghost Rider, and UA2 Hulk. If Hulk had gotten C3 feet for his rerelease, I'd have said go for him too, but a slightly different tint of green is hardly worth blowing money on a third Ultimate Avengers 2 DVD. Same for Ghost Rider. A hardly noticeable flame variation doesn't really warrant blowing the extra cash. As for Dark Phoenix, if you scoop up both versions in your search for the exclusive Cyclops or the blue suit Professor, fine, but if you can find one of those two on their own for less, don't kill yourself and your wallet on slightly different shades of red. That's my take anyways. If you're of the type that must have every copyright date, every torso peg variation, holes in the head as opposed to no hole, etc, then by all means, spend, spend, spend!

Technically Target Ghost Rider and Daredevil are really totally different mates, not just altered existing, sort of wrong to lump them in with the others IMO

I think that because GR is different part-wise (new flame), that he counts, but I'm undecided about DD.

Great information!!! I have been a bit confused trying to sort out who is new, who is pretty much the same as before, and who is a variant....craziness!!! AA should put tiny numbers on them somewhere so we know that a different number means a different minimate....number them like 1 to 1000....Spiderman gets to be #1...:)

I like the darker DD, but I'd switch the arms and legs to give him those extra details...

I also like the new GR

Also DD belt is different. It has been pointed out in another thread but his "sticks" do not stay in. They fall out very easily, this does not make him a "new" figure but it is a difference.

What are the differences between the original Juggernaut and the 1 in the Darktide DVD? From the pictures I've seen on the web, they look pretty similiar.

Thanks!!!

Only difference that I'm aware of is a different facial feature and Darktide Juggernaut is missing the different shade on the bottom half of his upper torso.

What are the differences between the original Juggernaut and the 1 in the Darktide DVD? From the pictures I've seen on the web, they look pretty similiar.

Thanks!!!

Only difference that I'm aware of is a different facial feature and Darktide Juggernaut is missing the different shade on the bottom half of his upper torso.

Someone pointed out to me that Minimate Central had a comparison on their review section for Darktide. drgnrbrn316 is right, just a small facial feature change, and a bit of paint on his torso. The facial feature change isn't as different as it is for the other 'mates in the DVD set.

Well, if we're talking about Target variations no matter how small, I don't think I've seen anybody mention this one. My Target Sandman's left arm has a less subtle transition from sleeve to sand than my original Sandman. The sand coloring just starts at the end of the sleeve instead of it blending from green to brown. I can't take a picture of it right now, but I thought I'd mention it and see if anybody else noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, I have it stuck in my head that one version of Astonishing Wolverine came with a mask. I know this is probably a figment of my imagination. :teehee:

I know the Target 2-pack did not have a mask and am pretty sure the TRU 4-pack didn't. Did the LCS Series 13 2-pack include a mask with Wolverine?

That's a valid point, Cyc, but it doesn't hurt to leave them in the thread. It might help newbies understand that some of the Target and/or TRU releases are new characters.

I for one am glad he did include them... I'm not a newbie to minimates but never paid much attention at all to the target sets because I always got the diamond releases and never knew them to be anything more than repacks, or very slight variations (I don't care if just the mouth is different for example).

So I probably never would have even looked to grab that set had I not had the differences pointed out to me in this thread... I can't remember the last time I even looked at the minimates at a Target before I saw this post (so thanks for posting it !). I ran out and grabbed the DD/GR set right away... both of these 'mates put their original releases to shame.

Now I wish I had grabbed that Prof X set all those times I'd seen it...

• 2 weeks later...

Let's go with "Marvel Knights" Daredevil & "Marvel Knights" Ghost Rider for the names for the Target 2-pack figures, since they originally were planned for a "Marvel Knights" 4-pack.

Hi,are we saying that the 4 pack Target 'Marvel Knights' that I have seen pictured on the back of the other Target 4 packs never happened?

Hasn't happened yet, but the fact things have been awful quiet and that Target were able to release the two new variations has lead most to believe it's a dead duck.