UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got these in hand yesterday, and the first thing I did was disassemble them and found that there are new heads with multiple components!

Leonardo (shell removed for better detail)

20140729_090349.jpg

As you can see, the head is now divided into two pieces, the top half of the head has been removed.

20140729_090428.jpg

The mask has been removed (it was glued slightly in the back by the knot)

20140729_090444.jpg

Here is the top of the head reattached to the bottom without the mask, check out the gap.

20140729_090507.jpg

I'm guessing this was designed to prevent the mask from sitting too high or too low (requirement from Nickelodeon?), but unfortunately this prevents the mask from being re-purposed to a regular Minimate head (unless you mod it) and also prevents the turtles from having an unmasked face.

Edited by youbastards

Holy Shit! I now have a reason to make Tri-Klops! I have been wanting to do something similar for years ( i think i even talked with TBT at SDCC in 2007/8 about doing something similar) once again, my procrastination has rewarded me! I will also use this for another project that is almost halfway done, and requires a cowboy hat and mask!!!!!

edit: YB, how does the mask look around the neck? will it work?

edit#2: got rid of about 2000 exclamation points.

Edited by Nervous Rex

It's also worth noting that the bandana sculpts for Mike and Leo are each unique.

Weapons are a little tough to get in their hands, so be careful. Hopefully the plastic for the non-translucent figures are a bit more rigid, as Leo's swords were a mess.

Zach, I don't know how you guys plan on packing the accessories in the blind bags, but it would be great if the swords weren't packaged in the sheathes to prevent the plastic from warping.

Thanks yb ! My thoughts were along the lines of "maybe there was initial indecision about the head being 'domed' or not " . All the images of any TMNT character that I have seen......which isn't as extensive as many of you I guess...have the very distinctive rounded (as in not flat top cylindrical ) heads !

Dare I say it ? Even the Lego versions had domed heads .

If I recall correctly, Zach stated at C2E2 that the original heads were sculpted (shown at Toy Fair), but Nickelodeon requested that they use the standard Minimates head shape (most likely to avoid any issues with Lego).

I wasn't initially sold on the heads at C2E2, but having them in hand its a non-issue for me. I do agree that I would like to see the eyes sculpted on the bandanas.

These 'mates scream for action stands! Even with the limited waist articulation due to the shell, I've been able to get them into some cool poses. Mikey really needs a spinning nunchuk accessory though, and I think Zach hinted that might be coming.

I've been a Turtle fan since '85 and still have all my TMNT comics. If these eventually lead to original Mirage designs or 1980's cartoon designs, I'll be extremely happy. Merging my favorite toy format with my favorite comic property is a dream come true for me. Well done, DST and Art Asylum!

I'm starting to get the impression that the blind bags are going to be less desirable in terms of accessories, aimed largely at consumers who gotta have 'em now!

Hopefully the 2-packs will have more to offer and maybe even feature refined versions of the figures.

Is there a hole in the top of the top part of the head ?

You mean for a hairpiece? Nope.

>edit: YB, how does the mask look around the neck? will it work?

It is a tight fit, but the head will snap into place. Need an ascot for your Paul Lynde custom? smile.png

20140729_100021.jpg

Thanks for the quick pic YB! lol, Scooby Doo is full of ascot wearing fellas! and Millionaire socialite art dealer Radley Crown aka The Blue Falcon.

also, Daredevil seems really happy to be wearing that ascot!

Man, I am shocked how much I'm digging these. I really didn't want to like them, but man, they are super rad. Well put together, fun, and all together awesome.

I can't wait to to fondle some blind bags.

When do these come out again? September?

Thanks for taking the time to take the turtles apart, youbastards.

I got a pair of the turtles and they look really cool (thanks Zach, for the Leo). So glad that the nunchuks have metal chains. I'm wondering what the sculpted heads would've looked like, but I think the cylindrical heads still look great.