UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Fantasticar... complete!

Mystery Man

So here's my completed Fantasticar for Minimates using Lego's. I'm very, very proud of it!

Based primarily on Jack Kirby's second design for the vehicle, I took a few creative liberties to make sure that the front "4" piece could be incorporated while still remaining as true as possible to Jack's design. It includes the break-away design feature for all four cabs and fits Minimates to scale.

I spent quite a bit of time perfecting the design, along with quite a bit of money purchasing the right parts I needed. As I was building this from scratch, you can be sure I picked up more parts than I actually needed... but having to wait roughly a week between shipments for more stuff meant I wanted to make sure I didn't run out of stuff in the long-run.

Anyway, there are more pictures in my Photobucket account with more detail that can be accessed here, (http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/gigantus/library/Fantastic%20Four%20Minimates?page=1)... plus a few that I whipped up for fun's sake!

2011-04-05123039_zpscab87920.jpg

Nicely done. I remember as a kid making something similar with empty nampkin boxes and pen cylinder containers for my Mego figures.

Thanks, all!

@ Donster - I bet it was really neat lookin'! I always wanted the Mego Fantastic Four... but by the time I was born, all I could find were second-hand Spidey's and Hulk's. Did you ever see the custom Fantasticar ver. 1 that somebody put together? I think it was for some kind of Mego convention-type thing

@ Bob - I'm planning on re-doing the Air Jet Cycle a little bit and making the colors match on more of the white/blue/black/grey scale.

@ Nessex - No, that "4" isn't a tampo, it's from an old Mega Bloks Fantasticar-ish set that came with a Thing minifigure. Because of it's specific shape, that's why I had to build the front of the car the way it looks... so I could incorporate that specific piece. Still, I think it worked out well!

Thanks again, everybody! I was really happy to see this one finished and I'm super proud of the results. Too bad I don't have the bricks to make a Pogo Plane... or an entire Baxter Building!

Edited by Mystery Man

As Fantastic Four is my favorite comic, I absolutely love this.

You mentioned you had to drop some cash to build it- what was the grand total if you don't mind me asking?

Also, could you build the 'flying bathtub' that was the first prototype from those same pieces? I'd love to be able to have something like for my smaller crystal clear display case:

ftub_zps0cd1862d.jpg

Jeff,

I spent probably around $80 including shipping for all the parts that I needed, although I do have quite a bit of them left over that I didn't
use. My sneaky plan was to get lots of extra's to make the Flying Bathtub and a slew of other "Fantastic Four" related stuff. Whereas most people on the boards like having Lego stuff to make Batman vehicles, I'm the opposite. My primary focus is the FF!

The trouble I've thought of with the Flying Bathtub is primarily how to get that "4" logo on the front. I'm guessing I'll have to commission a a decal for the front of it from somebody, as there is no existing piece for this like there was for the Fantasticar that I did make that I've been able to find thus far.

Also, those pesky rounded sides. There's a way to do that, but I need to check and see if the type of block that I'll need is made in the color white or not.

But in short, yes... I'm planning on making the Flying Bathtub too! And I'm still not 100% satisfied with my Air-Jet Cycle, so I'll keep tinkering around with it.

Jeff,

I spent probably around $80 including shipping for all the parts that I needed, although I do have quite a bit of them left over that I didn't

use. My sneaky plan was to get lots of extra's to make the Flying Bathtub and a slew of other "Fantastic Four" related stuff. Whereas most people on the boards like having Lego stuff to make Batman vehicles, I'm the opposite. My primary focus is the FF!

The trouble I've thought of with the Flying Bathtub is primarily how to get that "4" logo on the front. I'm guessing I'll have to commission a a decal for the front of it from somebody, as there is no existing piece for this like there was for the Fantasticar that I did make that I've been able to find thus far.

Also, those pesky rounded sides. There's a way to do that, but I need to check and see if the type of block that I'll need is made in the color white or not.

But in short, yes... I'm planning on making the Flying Bathtub too! And I'm still not 100% satisfied with my Air-Jet Cycle, so I'll keep tinkering around with it.

I'd suggest making the '4' logo in the circle in illustrator then printing it on sticker paper- or regular paper and then applying it with mod podge. Although it's been awhile- that's how I apply all my decals to my customs now. It'll dry on the legos clear and won't fray on the edges over time. Do you have enough to spare a FF tub? I'd consider buying one from you....

Jeff,

I'd suggest making the '4' logo in the circle in illustrator then printing it on sticker paper- or regular paper and then applying it with mod podge. Although it's been awhile- that's how I apply all my decals to my customs now. It'll dry on the legos clear and won't fray on the edges over time. Do you have enough to spare a FF tub? I'd consider buying one from you....

As I'm totally unfamiliar with printing stuff off with decals, I'd have to get help with that part of it.

I'd be all for "commissioning" one for you if you liked how it looked... but I'd want to build my own first and tinker with it to make sure it was up to the specifications in my mind's eye and that you were pleased with it too. :) I'll letcha know when I've begun work on it... off to check for parts now!

Sounds awesome! And from one FF fan to another- here's my shameless plug for my next FF custom-

"Reed's dead so I'll slut it up Sue" -the horrid 90's costume. A work in progress.....

invisiblewomanmockup_zpsdcdac98a.jpg

Roger Rabbit works great with that image. teehee.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...