UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Display and Storage

kaipo

Hey everyone, I have almost 200 marvel minimates (collecting since wave one!), I currently have about half of them on my shelf, but I want to know what everyone does for storage solutions? I have the non-displayed ones in mini ziploc bags with their accessories. However, once they go up on the shelf to be proudly displayed, I keep the accessories in their bag and store those bags in a box. This keeps each figures' accessories separate and helps me not lose anything. The problem is, when I want to, say, change out a hairpiece or display one of the figures differently, I am digging through a cardboard box filled with mostly-empty ziploc bags searching desperately for the correct bag. Anyone have any ideas to help me keep things as organized as possible?

Edited by kaipo

Arrange the bags alphabetically by name of the Minimate you got it from. It wont be easy since you have 200+ but the database can help. This way you know which accessory is from which and where to find 'em.

I use the $4 storage bins from walmart, where you can adjust the trays. With 12 slots, I can fit 4-6 minimates per slot, withnaccessories. It's also ideal for Joes or other 3 3/4" figures.

do you have a link of which ones you use ?

I use the $4 storage bins from walmart, where you can adjust the trays. With 12 slots, I can fit 4-6 minimates per slot, withnaccessories. It's also ideal for Joes or other 3 3/4" figures.

Here you go.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-Large-Storage-Box-Clear/17474207

I started buying the Plano 2-3700 tackle boxes for my Star Wars figures a while back. I only used nine of the 24 dividers and always had plenty left over to create storage for my Minimates. I love 'em:

These are awesome! Epic Spidey collection btw. I am jealous...

Here you go.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-Large-Storage-Box-Clear/17474207

These look awesome, any chance of posting a pic of them with your 'mates inside? :)

They work especially great IF you've got spare dividers laying about. Unfortunately the boxes only come with 24 even though there are enough slots for 46. It's probably easy enough to make your own out of stiff cardboard, I suppose.

That said, recent pictures I've seen of these tackle boxes suggest that Plano has altered them so they only have the capacity for 24 compartments. That sucks because the majority of my 'mates manage to fit into the smallest compartments. Characters with bulky armor or capes tend to need a double-sized compartment. Then there are ones like Reed Richards or Galactus who require an even bigger space due to accessories or excessively pointy hats.

Either way these boxes seem to be a better value than DST's collector's cases. They're less expensive, feature adjustable compartments, and you can see what's in them without opening them. They just don't come with an exclusive Minimate.

Mine are currently scattered among various desks, some on display, some in cases, some in sheleves....im a bad person

None of mine are on display. They go from their little plastic jails right into their prison cell blocks after a quick inspection. I'm a bad person, too. :(

90% of mine go in plastic storage boxes as well, whether they're my "master" collection or duplicates. I've got several unopened packs I need to get stored once I buy more boxes. The 10% not stored are either with my Universal Monsters Minimates/Lego display or the few I have on my bookshelf that frequently rotate with whatever has just been released.

They work especially great IF you've got spare dividers laying about. Unfortunately the boxes only come with 24 even though there are enough slots for 46. It's probably easy enough to make your own out of stiff cardboard, I suppose.

That said, recent pictures I've seen of these tackle boxes suggest that Plano has altered them so they only have the capacity for 24 compartments. That sucks because the majority of my 'mates manage to fit into the smallest compartments. Characters with bulky armor or capes tend to need a double-sized compartment. Then there are ones like Reed Richards or Galactus who require an even bigger space due to accessories or excessively pointy hats.

Either way these boxes seem to be a better value than DST's collector's cases. They're less expensive, feature adjustable compartments, and you can see what's in them without opening them. They just don't come with an exclusive Minimate.

>Mine are currently scattered among various desks, some on display, some in cases, some in sheleves....im a bad person

None of mine are on display. They go from their little plastic jails right into their prison cell blocks after a quick inspection. I'm a bad person, too. sad.png

Thanks MisterPL, that's unfortunate about the compartments. Only being able to fit about 24 would mean I would need more than 10 of these. And that might take up more space than its worth :/

picked up a few of these cases for my mates... works pretty good

IMAG2294_zps2b540216.jpg

Nice, too bad it didnt fit more though.

Anyways I think I'm going with the ziplocks within ziplocks (zipception?) for now. and those in cardboard boxes. Meh. Would like to display them all eventually (like Luke does)

Thanks MisterPL, that's unfortunate about the compartments. Only being able to fit about 24 would mean I would need more than 10 of these. And that might take up more space than its worth :/

It wouldn't hurt to look around your nearest Kmart. I haven't bought any of those tackle boxes in months so there might still be some older ones available. I hope so because I really prefer those. For now the storge bags should work. ;)

Also try sporting goods stores. Walmart stopped carrying the ones I liked a few years ago (seriously, if I'd known that, I'd have snapped them up like Elaine Benes buying sponges), but I managed to find similar ones at one of the big sporting goods chains. I think it's Dick's, but to be honest I can never remember; I just go to the one that's near a Target I occasionally stop at. But they have them bound together in 3-packs for (I think) $12.

But these boxes make for great carrying cases, and I really recommend them. They can fit just about any Minimate accessory (though I just discovered they won't accommodate Firelord's wings) and you can remove a barrier and create a giant spot for those characters that have numerous variations.

Awesome guys, will look around Wal-Mart and sporting goods stores. Might have to stowaway some minimates in my pockets so I can measure. Don't worry though, I'll take stealth iron man or invisible woman, they're undetectable. thumbsup.gif