UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BEST CUSTOMS of 2012 - Nominations

As you already know, Best Minimates of 2012 voting has already ended. Thanks Mini_Myte for doing this again! But this also means it's time for the Best Customs of 2012!

After last year's success (over 130 nominations!), the third annual BEST CUSTOM AWARDS will be the biggest custom show in the whole 'verse! Ever! (This time for real! Again!!!) And I'm glad none other than the-man-who-gets-it (as Zach once pointed oat out) will join me as my minion helper compadre co-organizer: clap your hands and say yeah for Hellpop! thumbsup.gif

All 'versers will be able to vote in a variety of different categories for their favorite customs of 2012. This way we can have a closer look at what has been done in the last year and celebrate the awesome customs and their creators. And to get this thing started, we'll proceed as we did last year: we'll start with the nominations. The voting itself will start some time after March 3rd and there everybody will be able to vote for their favorite customs.

HERE ARE THE RULES FOR THE NOMINATION PROCEDURE:

- Every customizer (and yes, only the customizers themselves) is allowed to nominate one custom of his/her work of 2012 for each of the following categories: [/url]

SKILLS:

• Best Quick Custom (creating a custom by swapping parts only, no piant, no sculpting. You know it, right?)
  • Best Sculpting (the sculpting itself will be judged in this category)
  • Best Paintjob (the painting skills will be judged in this category)
  • Best Decal Design (show off what you did on the computer!)

THEMES:

• Best Marvel Comics Custom
  • Best DC Comics Custom
  • Best Other ComicS / Cartoon Custom (Dark Horse, Image, Hannah-Barbera, MotU, you name it)
  • Best Movie/TV-Series (Live action! Bring on Les Miserables, Dark Knight Rises, Doctor Who, Community, ...!)
  • Best Videogame
  • Best Vehicle/Display/Accessory* (That's what's beyond the regular 'mate: bikes, secret lair play sets, golf clubs, Dreamatorium, big ass guns...!)
  • Best Box Set / Team / Series of 4+ (at least 4 customs of one theme, series or team)
  • Best Miscymate (Customs that don't fit any other category but are still awesome!)
  • Even Better Than The Real Thing* (Customs (old and new) of a character or variation that had their first official DST release in 2012, Again: your custom doesn't have to be made in 2012, but the official DST realse has to be in 2012! E.g. Thundercats, Guile, Rick Grimes, Longshot, but also variations like Phoenix Buster Iron Man or First Appearance Punisher. Here's a list of what was released in 2012.)

* new or changed categories!

- All in all that's a max of 13 nominations per customizer. You don't have to nominate customs in each and every category to participate. (Honestly, I don't think anybody was that productive last year. Go, prove me wrong. tongue.gif

- You are allowed to nominate one and the same custom in different categories, if it fits.
Example: a Bilbo Baggins custom might be nominated for "Best Movie/TV-Series" and as part of "Best Box Set" (because you did Thorin, Gandalf and Dwalin, too, for your amazing Hobbit box set) and "Best paintjob" (because you did an awesome paint job on that one, dude!)

- The right to make changes or don't accept a nomination is reserved by the authorities, if in their almighty opinion it's placed in the wrong category. (We'll PM you in that case.)
Example: a Spider-Man custom is nominated for "Best DC", a quickcustom is nominated for "Best sculpting", a set of three or less is nominated for "Best Box Set of 4+". Please think about what you had in mind when you did the custom and I'm sure you'll easily find a category for it! In any other case, we just proceed as the quizmaster in my local Irish pub when he's doing the table quiz: The quizmaster's always right, so even if he's wrong he's right. That's not because I'm megalomaniac (well...), but we want to organize this thingy as good as we can. Last year went pretty smooth, though.

- Everybody who did a custom over the last year is totally encouraged to participate!

- All questions on the nomination procedure should be asked in this thread!

- This should be fun! That's most important! Keep that in mind!

Ready? You made your choices? Fantastic! What to do next:

PM me (Bob Harris) and provide me with
- NAME (of each custom, and in case of the Best Box Set / Team /Series of 4+ category also the name of the series like "Doctor Who")
- CATEGORY (like Best Marvel, Best Sculpting, etc.) and most important a
- LINK (to a picture/custom thread entry incl. pic)
for EACH of your nominations! That's important!
Please send all your nominations in one PM!

THE NOMINATION PROCEDURE STARTS NOW AND WILL END ON SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 17th! Midnight, PST.
The voting itself will start later in March and there everybody will be able to vote for their favorite customs.

Oh, and yes, Hellpop and myself will participate, too. If you think that's lame, we think you're lame.

Customizers who already nominated their customs:
(will be updated everytime I get around)

• Mattallica
  • jcastick
  • Luke
  • Lobsterman
  • Shogi
  • TM2
  • Squall
  • Mmao
  • Bob Harris
  • moo2172
  • Hawkeye's Junk
  • fwooseyman
  • Psyguy
  • Minimateman1991
  • Jeff
  • Boyd
  • Shamrock
  • Delta Chameleon
  • Hellpop
  • Jboogie
  • Nervous
  • Punisher
  • eclipse
Edited by Bob Harris
Updated list of participants

Well, I made more then that, bu my camera's broken, so I'm not sure I'll be able to enter everyone I wanna enter.unsure.png

Yep, Bob drafted me to help (since you can't spell Hellpop without help), so feel free to send me any questions of nominations as well. Remember, Bob's on a different continent, so if you absolutely, positively need an answer right away... don't send it to him when he's likely to be sleeping.laugh.png

Ready? You made your choices? Fantastic! What to do next:

PM me (Bob Harris) and provide me with
- NAME (of each custom, and in case of the Best Box Set / Team /Series of 4+ category also the name of the series like "Doctor Who")
- CATEGORY (like Best Marvel, Best Sculpting, etc.) and most important a
***- LINK (to a picture/custom thread entry incl. pic)***
for EACH of your nominations! That's important!
Please send all your nominations in one PM!

So am I reading this correctly, I need to start a thread before I submit an entry?

No, luckily you're not reading it correct. It's pretty obvious that we need a picture of your customs. So we're asking for a link to that pic. Whether you have your own customs thread here or you uploaded it somewhere else doesn't matter. If you either have a thread nor an uploaded pic, let us know. I guess we can figure something out.

Thanks for all the nominations so far! We already received some great looking customs and some surprises I really missed when they were posted.

On thing about the new Even Better Than The Real Thing Catagory:

The idea was, to somehow get a chance to have a closer look and value some of the older customs of this creative community. To not be totally random and unrelated to 2012, only customs of characters/variations being actually releaed in 2012 for the first time should be eligible for this category. There seem to be some missunderstandings, so I wanted to point that out again.

It's all about your custom being "Even Better Than The Real Thing". wink.png

Example for an eligible nominiation: You've made a Pheonix Buster Iron Man a few years back. Bring him on, since we've seen a lot of Iron Men over the years, but the Phoenix Buster Iron Man had it's first release in 2012.

Example for an eligible nomination: You made a Kang custom back in 2010. Bring him on, since we've had our first Kang released in 2012!

Example for an eligible nomination: You made a Rick Grimes custom last year. Hell yeah! We had his first release in 2012, so bring him!

Example for an uneligible nomination: You made a Scarlet Witch custom last year. Sorry, it's right that we've seen a Scarlet Witch this year, but we've already had one in wave 16. It's not a first time release.

Example for an uneligible nomination: You made an Age of X Gambit custom. Sorry, but we didn't get an Age of X Gambit in 2012, that was last year.

Example for an uneligible nomination: You made a Captain Punisher custom. Sorry, although we've seen an official Punisher release in 2012, we haven't seen this variation of him.

You're right, Boyd. Time's up, but we received nominations by over 20 customizers. Now hellpop and I will start checking the lists and create thumbs of every nomination. This way, everybody will have a good look at all nominated customs when we start voting in early March.

Here's the list of everybody participating this time (I hope I dind't miss anybody!):

• Mattallica
  • jcastick
  • Luke
  • Lobsterman
  • Shogi
  • TM2
  • Squall
  • Mmao
  • Bob Harris
  • moo2172
  • Hawkeye's Junk
  • fwooseyman
  • Psyguy
  • Minimateman1991
  • Jeff
  • Boyd
  • Shamrock
  • Delta Chameleon
  • Hellpop
  • Jboogie
  • Nervous
  • Punisher
  • eclipse
  • TENIME_art
Edited by Bob Harris

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update you guys that, now that all the nominations are in (and don't worry, Tenime made itsmile.png ), we'll have the ballot up and ready to go on Saturday. Bob and I are going to try and do it "live" by releasing a different category every few minutes; maybe every half hour or so. We've got a VERY good group of customs this year; I've been looking at the damn things for weeks now and I still don't know whom I'm voting for in most of the categories! Ballots will be submitted via PM to me, and the ballot box will be open for two weeks. So, assuming we make the 3/9 date, we'll be accepting ballots until 3/23.