1057 replies to this topic

#1 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Blind-bag turtle hunter .

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

So I was asked today about 'the best of Marvel' wave & d'yknowhat I'm not sure whether I know enough about it.....did we have a thread ? Scariest thing for a completist is to miss out on something that appears to be ordinary that might turn out unique.These are retreads right? Are we sure?

....& while I'm at it why won't my avatar update ? :(

Edited by buttheadsmate, 16 February 2012 - 05:25 PM.

"........turtle sheller  .....!

#2 Punisher

Punisher

C'mon, cat.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Actually NONE are re-treads.
Posted Image

All are re-treads of the same character design/previous minimate, but they all have either drastic or subtle differences that make them different than the previous release.

#3 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thankyou Punisher,immediately I've shifted gear. So where's the love for these?

#4 hellpop

hellpop

Vootie!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

Where's the love for these? Well.... what's to love? :) Seriously, these are all very nice, but none of these scream "must have" to me. DST has already made very nice versions of all these characters, so at best these are lateral movements rather then upgrades.

But this isn't a set aimed at us, it's aimed at the newer collector. And that's just fine. It's a supplement to the regular release schedule, much like the Heroes and Adversaries box sets from a few years ago, and I hope these do really well.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: HELLPOP GETS IT.

Great. there will be no living with him now.rolleyes.gif

#5 Nessex

Nessex

Aaaaand Kang beat Toad. Crushed :(

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

How DARE dst NOT consider the poor, obsessive-compulsive completionusts by releasing this wave. Classic characters in (arguably) their best ever minimate form released, but with subtle differences. Oh, the humanity.

On a serious note: i actually quite like the manic new goblin face and the evil grin 'Tooth is sporting. If i pass on this wave, i may have to buy those two on ebay.

Current Top 10 Wish List: Spiral; GSXM Sunfire; GSXM Banshee; Pyro; 616 Blob; Stryfe; Toad; Forge; Destiny; & Deathbird . . . & GIDEON!!!
MMMV-CW-Gideon.jpg
Haves/Wants UPDATED July 19th, 2013 (REALLY want a Green & a White Funko Pop Phoenix)

#6 youbastards

youbastards

I like griping.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

I'm excited for a new yellow Iron Man, its been too long! :)

═════════My WANTS & HAVES Trade Thread Post═════════My PARTS EXCHANGE Thread Post═════════

#7 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

The 'Heroes & Adversaries' set from 2010 was a set of exact retreads ,I remember asking "who would buy them ?" . For the record they sell pretty well at between $20-40 whilst the Wave 28 pairing of Deadpool/Wolverine still seems to find this sort of figure http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a178b991f :rolleyes: No......I don't get it either.

However the 2 box sets 'Marvel Heroes to The Rescue' & 'Bring on the Bad Guys' from 3 years ago featured characters that were only repeated at TRU (Wave 2) whilst 2 characters ( 1 from each set) were completely unique ,Cap & Skull. Correct me if you think I'm wrong :no: but if you're a completist these two box sets & TRU Wave 2 are rare...are nice... & are collectable...no runts in those sets at all.

Soooooo we now have a wave that apparently contains 8 variants that is disinteresting :no: :rolleyes:

#8 JediJohnson

JediJohnson

Mini-Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

I think Cap is the biggest disappointment here; not his most Classic nor Iconic look to me.

A darker blue, a better mask, and what's with that expression on his face?!?!

#9 youbastards

youbastards

I like griping.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I still think that Wave 28 is widely regarded as one of the best series released, and I had a really tough time finding them thanks to a major snafu by AFX. I was able to secure my sets from another store, but Deadpool was already going up in value at that point. You are correct about Heroes & Adversaries being the better 'deal', but I wonder if the Wave 28 Deadpool set is still desired because of something you already mentioned: completists want the set MIB for their collection.

Edited by youbastards, 16 February 2012 - 06:17 PM.

═════════My WANTS & HAVES Trade Thread Post═════════My PARTS EXCHANGE Thread Post═════════

#10 Valo487

Valo487

JL and the Wurlies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

I don't mind them releasing sets like this to appeal to newer buyers, it makes perfect sense. My only issue is the following:

While nice, none of these characters is that hard to come by, and while this is certainly geared to new collectors, it really draws attention to other waves. I won't call it out specifically but it begins with a 4 and ends with a 4, that feature versions of some of these characters which will hit around the same time. If they're going to rerelease certain characters in sets like this for the new or casual fans, wouldn't it make more sense to not include those same characters again in waves both before AND after them?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't get where the market is coming from for all these retreads. I can go to TRU right now and have my choice of 3-4 versions of Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc. and it seems like putting out more of the same characters so often just dilutes the brand overall. I know the big names sell well to kids/casual fans/new fans, but they also warm pegs harder than anyone else. The TRU Crossbones/Secret War Cap sells really fast, and I don't think it's just because it has Captain America in it.

Make your big names if you must, but give those of us who have been with you for years a reason to want them, and everyone wins. Just a thought.

#11 hellpop

hellpop

Vootie!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

I should say, as the guy that brought up Heroes and Adversaries... I meant those other two sets. The ones that had the first Red Skull, and that nice new Green Goblin, and... whomever was in the heroes one. I forgot all about the set actually titled "Heroes and Adversaries". My bad. :blush:

#12 Mirymate

Mirymate

furry blue monkey man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

The heroes one was Hulk, Cap, Spidey, and Wolverine. The Wolverine is the only one done to date in his X-Men Team Uniform (you know, the updated original team uniforms everyone wore around Uncanny 250). And he had spare, non-clawed hands, which IIRC was the first time they did that too. It's been used as the base of many, many Forge customs since.

I like this wave, but plan on passing for mostly monetary reasons. There's an almost cartoony quality to the bright color choices that somehow appeals to me though... we'll see.

Posted Image

Sell me what I want - Parts needed list - Or trade with me
(all updated 11-19-12)
Proud member of the Kang Kadre! Always!

#13 Mystery Man

Mystery Man

RODAN make RODAN RODAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

That THING will be a must-have for me if the orange matches from headpiece to head, etc. That Iron Man is going to become my #1 Shellhead as well. I can't wait for that set.

I'll likely get the Spidey/Goblin too due to Gobby's facial expression.

Between this Thing, Iron Man and the soon-to-be Daredevil and SHIELD Agent (Nick Fury), there's 4 really big must-haves right around the corner for me.

#14 dj87

dj87

not bilbofett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

I've ordered the Wolverine/Sabertooth set, as I love the new face, and plan on sticking the Wolvie with my Byrne X-Men. I only bothered as I was ordering a few other bits from Luke at the time.

Not bothered by this wave, as it just isn't meant for me... I see it, like others, as an add-on for new collectors. The mates themselves do look very nice, and can see them attracting new collectors, which can surely only be a good thing.

That said, I think its the fact these guys are getting made that makes wave 44 even more frustrating. Like Valo said, that seems like it was supposed to be the new collectors wave.

I'm not doing complaining at the moment, not after those lovely ToyFare mates, all is well.

#15 battlecat

battlecat

Hare Razing Rabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

To the falcon photo? It changed a couple days ago on my end.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Be true to yourself... Even if that means being 'normal.'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,502 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm actually more excited for these than wave 45
Posted Image

No, he's right -- not making that one character doomed the line. Doomed, I tell you. The minute we left him out of Series 1 a raven flew through our window. And killed an intern.

#17 luke314pi

luke314pi

Stuck in Minimate Form

• Administrators
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

I didn't order this series in our usual numbers, but I still think it will sell well. People have been buying the Heroes and Adversaries 4-packs from our store for $23.99 a pop for a long time, and I have to keep going back to Super Hero Toys for more. Personally I will only be keeping a Thing/Iron Man set.

#18 hellpop

hellpop

Vootie!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

...and then Groundhog stole your old one so as to confuse us all to no end... :verymad:

#19 Mystery Man

Mystery Man

RODAN make RODAN RODAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

I don't know how many Thing/Iron Man sets you're getting Luke, but if that THING is as great as I'm hoping it is I'll likely buy 5 or more of them.

#20 groundhog7s

groundhog7s

nuttier than squirrel poop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

...and then Groundhog stole your old one so as to confuse us all to no end... :verymad:

Yes, it's the birthday gift that keeps on giving.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)