UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Baxter Building

Urban Saboteur

Hey,

Seeing as though the voting closed 3 days ago, Original Vote thread

I decided that i'd put all the WIP and updates in this thread. Since there was enough discussion and thoughts about this building and why it got so many votes it made sense to have all the progress stuff seperately.

I've attached images which have served as inspiration and reference points for this build, I can continually come back to these as a resource, particularly in my final designs and actual physical model. I guess the great thing is that i have more images of the Baxter Building than I did of the Batcave, having said that i still think this one will be more an engineering challenge simply because of the amount of rooms and detail i'll be going into when i get into the top 5 floors.

What has been decided so far

1. The physical Model will be 10 floors high
  2. the ground floor will have a small lobby and hopefully a visitor shop
  3. floors 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be dummy floors (see image below)
  4. floor to ceiling height per floor would be 8 bricks high, 1 brick = 1cm
  5. the building will be built on 32x32 stud baseboards

Here is a screen print of what the dummy floor will be designed like,

6810945707_ed1152ca09.jpg

This design process will be repeated for floors 2,3,4 & 5. So that it will look like a skyscraper on the outside, the level of detail inside will be minimum to cut down costs, most of the detail will be put into the final 5 floors which is occupied by the fantastic 4.

I'll have some more screen prints to share soon. I stopped work on this project to resume work on the Batcave, aside from 1 bricklink bulk order is almost finished :biggrin: and so i can return to design work on this. My next step will be to figure out the ground floor lobby and floor 6 which is where Roberta and the Fantastic 4 Reception will be. :)

Rich

post-3395-0-79581000-1328257961_thumb.jp

post-3395-0-56374400-1328257986_thumb.jp

post-3395-0-91697200-1328258002_thumb.jp

post-3395-0-88013800-1328259567_thumb.jp

Edited by Urban Saboteur

I do look forward to seeing where this goes. Should be one hell of a ride.

Kinda sad I missed the voting for the last one and all. I just finished rewatching the Justice League animated series and would love to see you build a version of the Watchtower. I think that would be awesome.

I do look forward to seeing where this goes. Should be one hell of a ride.

Kinda sad I missed the voting for the last one and all. I just finished rewatching the Justice League animated series and would love to see you build a version of the Watchtower. I think that would be awesome.

This very point was raised on facebook with me by two of my friends, as they asked me

"Why are you only building Marvel buildings and no love for DC?" :unsure:

I said "Well i've just spent a hefty chunk of money on the Batcave, which surely has to qualify for love of DC?" LoL. I also mentioned that i will run the projects alternatively between the licenses, so I built a DC building first then a Marvel one this time with the Batcave. I'll switch over to DC again on my 3rd build and so on. :)

Forgive me for my noobness questions, i know i've looked at this before in the past and i'm familiar with the Watchtower but refresh my memory? :pinch:

Rich

I've said this on the mm compatability thread, but the Mattle JL Watchtower playset works much, much better with mates than with the figures it was desgined for. Except for the elevator... and the little mini ship is a tad too big. If they were not so darn expensive these days I'd try to modify one to be more mate specific. (pegs on the floors, new stickers, mod the elevator, ship's chair, and weapons' station)

JLA Sattilite would be better... and I have floor plans for it around here somewhere...

But we digress, continue Baxtering.

This is looking very promising. Are you making a modern Baxter or the one with the four-sided 4's?

Do you have a Picture of the older one with the four-sided 4's? :)

I'd imagine it will be modern, similar to the source images I posted above in my original post.

I've been working on some customs just recently, i've already got floor space for the Baxter Building but can't afford to substantiate both building projects at the same time, because of this it will probably be on LDD for a bit, at least until i've finished the batcave model in its physical build completely.

I could of put the order in for the final brickbuild on that but i chose to improve my minimate roster and spent the $ on that this week. I should have some more screen prints of the ground floor lobby and shop when i finish it in the next couple of days or so.

EDIT

I actually have two images to share now. These are floor plans of the ground floor lobby. So although the outer walls look similar to the dummy floor design (which essentially it is) the interior will obviously be more detailed.

post-3395-0-83728700-1328339485_thumb.jp

post-3395-0-28585300-1328339493_thumb.jp

Edited by Urban Saboteur

http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/c/c0/FourFreedomPlaza.jpg

This is it. Yeah I probably wont be doing a huge number 4 like that all round the outside. I suspect this will be a challenge enough as it is :lol: I'm going to try and keep it to the skyscraper image seen in my first post and obviously try and get it looking like the Original Baxter Building.

Rich

You need the FF's robot receptionist Roberta in the lobby. Unless youre going to create a comic acurate 30th floor reception area.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__v16ajx69Mw/SZoHlqLI4ZI/AAAAAAAAEdY/IQoJ5uEc1UM/s400/Fantastic+Four+%23262+page+2+panel+2.jpg

As from my first post :)

I stopped work on this project to resume work on the Batcave, aside from 1 bricklink bulk order is almost finished :biggrin: and so i can return to design work on this. My next step will be to figure out the ground floor lobby and floor 6 which is where Roberta and the Fantastic 4 Reception will be. :)

Rich

The building with the 4's wasnt called The Baxter Bldg. It was 4 Freedom Plaza.

My mistake, though it was the FF's HQ when I picked up on comic books and a neat piece to build. http://marvel.com/universe/Four_Freedoms_Plaza

I found this while searching for it, a Mega Bloks FF set. It looks quite old but perhaps it could serve as some inspiration?

post-6301-0-61751300-1328580647_thumb.jp

Oh thanks :)

I didn't know Mega Bloks done a FF set, it be nice to see some assembled pictures of the lab. I'm going to spend a couple of days sourcing some images for the floors that the Fantastic Four occupy as well as work on the actual reception area of the Fantastic 4. This will definately be a lengthy and challening build. :biggrin:

Rich