UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel LEGOs

boyd

Just announced - LEGO will be doing Marvel super heroes as well as DC super heroes. The announcement:

The first buildable characters in the LEGO SUPER HEROES collection are highlighted by Captain America, The Hulk and Iron Man. Select figures will be unveiled in the LEGO booth (#2829) during Comic-Con International at the San Diego Convention Center July 21-24.

Imagine - a line of in-scale, same-style figures from both DC and Marvel. Wow, that would be popular, wouldn't it?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just announced - LEGO will be doing Marvel super heroes as well as DC super heroes. The announcement:

The first buildable characters in the LEGO SUPER HEROES collection are highlighted by Captain America, The Hulk and Iron Man. Select figures will be unveiled in the LEGO booth (#2829) during Comic-Con International at the San Diego Convention Center July 21-24.

Imagine - a line of in-scale, same-style figures from both DC and Marvel. Wow, that would be popular, wouldn't it?

The part I underlined makes me wonder IF these are going to be minifigs though, "buildable characters" seem like they are talking larger scale & made from blocks?

If however Lego has both DC and Marvel minifigures then DST should start to worry because kids/parents will consistently pick/trust lego over any other toy brand brand.

T.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-lego-expands-disney-licensing-deal-marvel-lego-super-heroes-2012-17025/

The above articlemakes it clear that there will be Marvel minfigures. I'm guessing the "buildable figures" will be like the Ben 10/Toy Story Construct-a-Buzz sets.

I expect DST and Mega Bloks are crapping in their trousers right about now.

We'll to me I think it is some cause for concern. The reason being C-3 was a build-able line for DC at first, but was later terminated. I believe it was around the time of the Lego DC launch. DC continued to make minimates for a couple of years after(3).

I just hope the sets do bad in order to keep the Marvel Minimates alive. How's that for Brand/Customer Loyalty.

Yeah Lego had the license to do sets for the Spider-Man film and its sequel.

I know the minifigures won't match up to their Minimates counterparts but there *is* an inherent charm with the Lego minifig, despite lack of articulation. I am really looking forward to these, but I really hope they are not coming out at the expense of Marvel Minimates.

If Marvel Minimates ever end it won't be influenced by the introduction of Marvel lego figures....why on earth would it??? Minimates are niche, were niche & probably always will be niche & whatever factors eventually cease their production it won't be Lego. There must be God knows how many Lego buyers out there .....& God bless them..... but there are only a few thousand Minimate buyers at most.

Halo,DC,Marvel,BTTF,SF,Terminator,Bruce Lee,Kiss & Universal Monsters are all Minimate licenses that were previously/contemporary Medicom kubrick licenses so why is this such a big deal???

Minimates ARE niche but are gaining momentum thanks to TRU who has invested a lot in the brand in recent years. You can't compare that to Kubricks which are a Japanese import.

I'm sure both Minimates and Marvel Lego can co-exist but like Tim says, if it comes down to a choice in TRU for little Johnny, he'll pick the Lego. And DST are trying to get to little Johnny.

I am amongst DST's fiercest critics & I'm not happy with everything they do but I doubt that they'll be phased at all by this news.

post-638-0-41310800-1311190449_thumb.jpg

I just can't wait :rolleyes:

I for one will be enjoying these!

That's not an official minifig, but it still beats the one I kitbashed in 1979! (though my Iron Man rocked!)

They can coexist. I think they have different markets. If anything, some guys in suits with spreadsheets will decide that ROI on the licensing fees isn't working for their cash flow. Money (or the lack thereof) will kill Marvel minimates, not Lego.

(Cap & Thor image)

(Iron Man & Wolverine image)

If THIS is what they'll look like, then i'm not worried. The line-up alone is reason for me to not be interested, but the design doesn't really grab either.

Batman Lego had me interested because i could actually get a decent rogue's gallery going. But if we're just seeing Lego do a general Marvel Line - then the characters diversity will be a bit average.

If Lego releases an Avengers Line, an X-Men line etc . . . then i might be more worried.

If Lego releases an Avengers Line, an X-Men line etc . . . then i might be more worried.

Start worrying!

"The LEGO SUPER HEROES Marvel collection will spotlight three Marvel franchises – Marvel’s The Avengers movie, and X-Men and Spider-Man classic characters. The LEGO Marvel’s The Avengers movie line brings such ever popular Marvel characters as Iron Man, The Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, Loki and Black Widow to LEGO minifigure form. The LEGO X-Men collection includes minifigure comic versions of Wolverine, Magneto, Nick Fury and Deadpool, while the LEGO Spider-Man sets offer minifigure comic versions of Spider-Man, and Doctor Octopus. The first buildable characters in the LEGO SUPER HEROES collection are highlighted by Captain America, The Hulk and Iron Man. Select figures will be unveiled in the LEGO booth (#2829) during Comic-Con International at the San Diego Convention Center July 21-24."

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/lego-confirms-dc-comics-and-marvel-comics-plans

im SOOOOO EXCITED about both the marvel and DC legos, i cant wait to see videogames come from this, ive always wanted a marvel game thats fun for months, i know lego can do that

Mixed emotions: on the one hand, I'm excited to get, say, a Lego Quinjet or a Fantasticar. But I am worried that this will spell the end of Marvel Minimates. However, Marvel Select and Marvel Legends have coexisted for years without a problem. So let's be cautiously optimistic.

But if they make a Lego Kang first... :verymad:

Looking at those pics the only character that looks even close to good as a LEGO figure is Thor. The rest look... off. I just can't quite see why... Something looks to big or too small on every single one of them.

However a LEGO Deadpool kicks ass.

DST needs to forget about little Johnny .

That's the point. Little Johnny spends more money than all collectors combined. With Hasbro collectors make up less than 11% of the market. With Minimates at TRU we'd be lucky to take 30%. Little Johnny has been and always will be the dream catch for every company. He's their bread and butter.

I agree that these look like slag. That won't stop parents from buying them very simply because they say "Lego" on them.

I'm not going to say it yet, but we're dead.

Looking at these photo's I have to say I'm not being wowed by these,

Thor & wolverine look good/cute, (I like the clever way they've done Wolverine's claws).

Hulk actually looks awesome because he's HUGE!!

Iron Man looks like someone put a minimate IM2 head on a lego body and Cap America looks like a cheap custom.

Overall the DC lego looks way more consistent.

I guess other that brand recognition the biggest advantages they'll have over minimates is Quality control and plastic quality.

T.