UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What's with all the new garbage accounts lately?

Sorry for the new thread, I've just been curious about this as it seems like it has been more noticeable since the new site went live.

I'm sure the mods are able to weed out the legitimate new members, but it seems like there has been an abundance of garbage accounts being created lately, here's today's when I click "View New Content" for example:

JacobeeeWL Joined on Today, 08:44 AM
Validating · 0 posts

kjikgeuv Joined on Today, 06:41 AM
Validating · 0 posts

furuhyko Joined on Today, 06:39 AM
Validating · 0 posts

pjtczout Joined on Today, 06:29 AM
Validating · 0 posts

rufxwgva Joined on Today, 06:28 AM
Validating · 0 posts

neepegitlelty Joined on Today, 06:17 AM
Validating · 0 posts

Baleexatt Joined on Today, 06:02 AM
Validating · 0 posts

xmogjvsy Joined on Today, 05:03 AM
Validating · 0 posts

uwfluonj Joined on Today, 04:48 AM
Validating · 0 posts

arraksMus Joined on Today, 04:27 AM
Validating · 0 posts

Kuziw1019 Joined on Today, 02:24 AM
Validating · 0 posts

carriehc3 Joined on Today, 12:00 AM
Validating · 0 posts

Looking through that list, there might be a few accounts that are legit, but are you able to tell a legitimate new account from a potential spam account?

Is this something that MMMV has always dealt with, or is this a more recent issue?

The short answer is we've always had spam accounts, you'll notice those are all "Validating", Which is basically Shane gong through the new member requests and weeding out those that are obviously spam & OK-ing the others.

It would be foolish of me to post here what his accept/removal criteria are but lets say it's not a fun or glamorous part of his job & the couple of times he's been away and asked me to do it were a serious chore.

Shane really does deserve a lot of credit for the stuff that goes on behind the scenes to keep this place in tiptop minty fresh condition, usually without you guys even knowing he's doing it!

T.

We get a steady stream of spammers signing up. Mostly from Russia, Ukraine, & China. I block offending IPs most of the time, but they keep trying.