UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Best and Worst Minimates of 2011

Fantastic job! I'm one of those guys that didn't vote.. but I pretty much agree with every result. I can officially place Beak-Wolverine next to my awful tampo Spiderman on my shelf.. both of them facing the wall and hanging their heads in shame. :)

:thumbsup:

Awesome jobe with the whole production. It's stuff like this that makes it easy to recruit new minimate fans.

-Vox

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing job, Mini-Myte! That was awesome. Have you only done this two years? Both comics are so great I want to make sure I'm not missing out on any. Thanks for putting on such a great show.

And thanks DST for another great year of minimates. Sure there were a few turds, but overall there were a ton of amazing mates this year

Amazing job, Mini-Myte! That was awesome. Have you only done this two years? Both comics are so great I want to make sure I'm not missing out on any. Thanks for putting on such a great show.

And thanks DST for another great year of minimates. Sure there were a few turds, but overall there were a ton of amazing mates this year

Nope I've done the Best & Worst 3 times. Here's a look at my first time out doing the Best & Worst of 2007. It's funny looking back at that show and seeing how things have progressed over the years.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Nope I've done the Best & Worst 3 times. Here's a look at my first time out doing the Best & Worst of 2007. It's funny looking back at that show and seeing how things have progressed over the years.

Thanks for doing this for 3 years, man. Sure, 2007's may seem a little humble, but that's just because we have something to compare it to now. Can't wait to see what you'll do next year (maybe I'll even remember to vote!)

Unfortunately, the loudest voices regarding what was unsuccessful in the previous year are the sales reports from Toys "R" Us and inventory reports from the warehouse

That sounded kind of... ominous. Is that just a general observation, or did sales not go as well as expected last year?

No, I'm just saying that, if Mini-Myte wants the "Worst" categories to be messages to the higher-ups as he says, it's not really going to make it onto their radar. Especially since I'm hearing the number of "worst" votes is negligible, and focuses on retread figures made for mass audiences.

Right now, it just tarnishes what I think is a pretty amazing awards show -- one that I'd love to see presented in a public space, for thousands to enjoy. You guys are pretty lucky to have him putting together this labor of love for you.

Yeah I didn't even want to vote for Worst categories for the most part. You don't see Worst or Most Boring categories at the Academy Awards; although that wouldn't be such a bad idea this year.

You could also expand the awards by making it top 5 or add more categories.

Whatever happens, we all enjoy the show.

I don't think the Worsts tarnish the awards at all, and I can't really see anyone taking them as anything but a fun and harmless way for us to vent a little on the one or two things that inevitably fall short in a year's worth of otherwise fantastic products. We are a community of fans and part of that is nitpicking the thing we love so much. More importantly, the Worsts inspire some of MINI_MYTE's best jokes :biggrin:

Edited by battlecat

I think the worst-categories are just a fun thing to vote for. And Mini-Myte usually comes up with the best jokes in these categories, especially when they reflect MMMV discussions. It's part of the community. I've never seen it as a message to the higher-ups, but as a great fun part of this community event.

Actually, I guess the whole beak-mask-thing this year was one of the best jokes thus far. (Besides this one from 2009 of course! Courtesy of Cappy.)

Guess what I want to say is: don't sell out*, Mini-Myte! Keep it real! Yo! :timbo:

____

*: Actually, if they offer you money, screw my thought: take the money and run! :tongue:

Edited by Bob Harris

I don't think the Worsts tarnish the awards at all, and I can't really see anyone taking them as anything but a fun and harmless way for us to vent a little on the one or two things that inevitably fall short in a year's worth of otherwise fantastic products. We are a community of fans and part of that is nitpicking the thing we love so much. More importantly, the Worsts inspire some of MINI_MYTE's best jokes :biggrin:

I only meant tarnishes in my eyes. No company wants to see the word "worst" associated with their product, nor the words "meh" or "turd." It's what makes coming to these boards such a mixed bag of emotions for me. But for you guys, it's great. Like, I said, you're lucky to have Mini-Myte.

It just seems like even fewer of you vote on worst than on best, and the "winners" are generally perfectly good toys that offended a dozen people aesthetically for some reason. The worst accessories winners still mystify me.

Eh, if it was ever posted on a public page, I'd probably promote it anyway. It's too much fun.

Why do I feel like I'm on the sh!t list again.

@ Zach: Just know the Worst categories have been aound for a long time. Well before you hooked up with DST. No disrespect is meant by them (to you or DST). Again, just a fun way to promote the minimates that didn't float everybody's boat. I apologize for suggesting that any of the worst votes may make their way to the higher ups at DST. Hopeful thinking on the part of a few of us here I guess.

@Everybody else: Let me know if you'd like next year's Best & Worst Minimates award show to drop the worst categories. I aim to please my audience. Tell me which direction y'all like the show to go in and it shall be so. :)

Edited by MINI_MYTE

The worst categories are great fun, more so than the best, for sure. I don't believe, for example, that Owlman Wolvie was made for any other reason than to be laughed at. Its just a bit of a laugh at the inevitable few duds in any toy line, especially when we get so many of them each year. I think the fact people take the time to put on an award show for a toyline in the first place shows how much they mean to us... imagine a world where you couldn't take the mickey out of your best friends and family once in a while, s'just not right.

that said, if we did have separate awards, as Fujis suggested, not only could Zach use some stuff for promotional purposes (can surely only be a good thing for all of us), while we can really cut loose and rip into the crap we OCCASIONALLY get.

i think it should be Best and Least Best

With the exception of Owlerine, that's pretty much how I voted, but I wouldn't want to lose the worst of categories. Unless, of course, we had two award ceremonies as suggested. Then we could really cut loose, and I bet Mini_Myte has plenty of freetime to put on a second show on top of everything else. ;) At any rate, I'd like to go ahead and nominate Friends and Foes Spidey for a Lifetime Mishchievement Award.

I was thinking the same thing as Fujis...maybe a compromise would be two separate events. Honestly, it was very difficult for me to find worthy recipients of worst votes this year, and I skipped some of the catagories because of it. That's a testament to the year's selection as a whole. On the other hand, in years past there have been mates (battle-ravaged Spider-Man comes to mind) that were pretty lame, in design and/or execution. They probably deserve some jokes at their expense. Maybe there just needs to be a pole for worst mate of the year and then a roast of him or her.

Thanks very much Mini_myte for all the work you put into these awards. I can only imagine how much time that it took and it couldn't have looked any better. If it were my project, I'd be very tempted to make a few changes to it if it would allow Zach or DST to promote it to a larger audience.

Really the domination of Beakverine in all the Worsts is a big plus for DST since it goes to show just how few bad mates there were last year! I voted for him every which way I could, along with wrong-sleeved Betsy and the Age Of X set. Personally I wouldn't want to see the awards too neutered, and two awards ceremonies sounds like way too much work. Maybe it could just be posted in a second, Zach-friendly thread, with the offending panels removed?

...the loudest voices regarding what was unsuccessful in the previous year are the sales reports from Toys "R" Us and inventory reports from the warehouse...

Don't suppose you could tell us what was unsuccessful last year based on these pieces of info?

I understand why DST doesn't want "Worst" categories. No one likes to have their work (no matter what your job is) criticized.

However, I enjoy the awards as fan thing with best and worst. It gives us an opportunity to voice our opinion, even if it is on a small scale. Also, the worst categories are always hysterical.

I agree with Battlecat, post a "best only" version separately and DST can promote that.

As I said, the worst categories are a big part of the fun and most of the time you outdo yourself there, Mini-Myte. (Besides the fact that the Red Carpet Show is more and more becoming the main event - which I like.)

Reaching a bigger audience sounds tempting and I grant you that in every possible way. (I think the Mini Bar needs to be promoted in a bigger scale, too! Somehow.) In the end it's up to you I think. Two seperate shows, which in my eyes isn't more work since I'd just split it up in seperate posts (not necessarily threads I guess, since everybody who gets linked here would find the "secret" parts anyway), might be a clever way to beat two flies with one swatter.*

Oh, and another thing since you asked what we like: I always loved that the show extends over two to three days (Red Carpet Show - half of the categories - the other half including the big guns) which always gave place for more discussion and comments. I'd like to see that again. (So expect it to happen at the other, smaller "show".)

_____

*: We don't kill birds with stones in Germany. We kill flys. :rolleyes: