UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bob tours the UK: Gosh, the Deutsche are coming!

Bob Harris

My girl friend and me are planning to visit Great Britain in august. To be more specific, England and Wales. We're planning to do a trip with our car. 3 weeks for some holiday between discovering a lot and having a relaxed time.

Our route thus far is getting us from Calais, France to Dover. Cardiff would be next, exploring the Welsh coast. We're not planning (for now) to go farther north than Liverpool/Manchester, but would like to visit Cambridge and London on our way back to Dover. So far we're sticking to the Lonely Planet guide.

But that's just our first thoughts.

What do you guys say? Where should we definitly go? What should we definitly see? We're open for any suggestions, any places, big and small, that might be interesting for, well, us. Historical and cultural places, arts, museums, but also impressive landscapes and other nice places. Unfortunatelly, my girlfriend isn't really into nerd stuff (but I'll check some comic stores that you might recommand anyway, at least in London), but we both love Doctor Who. That's why we need to go to Cardiff. wink.png But also nice hostels you might recommand. We'll carry a tent and my girl threatens to use it (I hate camping), so we'd prefer hostels, bed&breakfast etc.

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks a lot.

PS: Yes, I said "Brits". wink.png

Edited by Bob Harris

Because our tourist board would probably shoot me if I didn't say it, York is well worth the slight diversion farther north:

http://www.visityork.org/seeanddo/must-see-york.aspx We've got some awesome museums and such.

If you're Doctor Who fans, then http://www.doctorwholocations.net/ might help you pick some more locations.

I know one of your former statesmen used the German travel guide 'Baedeker' back in the late 30's whilst er ....um....planning ....er...visits .....& regards cities to visit ...York,Canterbury,Bath ,Norwich & Exeter (the ones he chose) are still essential destinations.

Visit the counties of Devon & Cornwall in the South West of the country & you'll see beautiful countryside & coastlines unrivalled anywhere in the world......

......& BTW you know someone who lives there thumbsup.gif

Edited by buttheadsmate

Because our tourist board would probably shoot me if I didn't say it, York is well worth the slight diversion farther north:http://www.visityork.org/seeanddo/must-see-york.aspx We've got some awesome museums and such.If you're Doctor Who fans, then http://www.doctorwholocations.net/ might help you pick some more locations.

York does look great. We'll think about that and reconcider our tour. And thanks for that webside, Ady! We'll definitly look into that and check out places on our way.

I know one of your former statesmen used the German travel guide 'Baedeker' back in the late 30's whilst er ....um....planning ....er...visits .....& regards cities to visit ...York,Canterbury,Bath ,Norwich & Exeter (the ones he chose) are still essential destinations.

Visit the counties of Devon & Cornwall in the South West of the country & you'll see beautiful countryside & coastlines unrivalled anywhere in the world......

......& BTW you know someone who lives there :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've heared about that guy. As far as I know, we're not related. But his... tour... seems to include great places. We'll concider that... traditional German route... without making a tradition out of it.

Other than that, I'll talk to you later.

If your around the liverpool/merseyside area and are a Doctor Who fan it may be worth checking this out. http://www.spaceport.org.uk/content/Exhibitions/TimeTravellersExhibition.aspx

Perfect! Thanks MiniFiend!

I know this great little farm in Essex. You should check it out.

Yeah, that's what the Lonely Planet says. ;)

You must see London ,I can't say it's my favourite place but it's irresistible as a tourist destination .

These places shouldn't be missed & could be managed in three days but deserve longer.

Wiltshire: Stonehenge (early morning before the grockles get ther) is worth a trip whilst Salisbury...just up the road is a lovely city.....whilst at Stonehenge ask about Woodhenge ......Woodhenge is far less-known about but far more intriguing. Avebury is also nearby .....ancient site ....awesome.

Hampshire : Portsmouth dockyard ......fantastic place ,Nelson's flagship 'the Victory' ....Henry VIII's flagship 'Mary Rose' to name a fraction of the historical naval stuff there. Southampton ....where I spent all my useful life...oozes history but you'd need a guide because much of it is hidden . The New Forest* ....glorious just glorious but very very busy in August . I have to add Romsey, where I was lucky enough to have been born & where i spent most of my life .

Dorset: Wonderful coastline.....World Heritage site known as the Jurassic Coast .....I know places where it is impossible not to find prehistoric fossils as you walk along the beach. Poole Harbour which is perhaps the largest natural harbour in the world....definitely the prettiest. More than a few breweries with 'open-days' thumbsup.gif

*Regards 'The Doctor' go to Beaulieu http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1159149/The-Dalek-deep-Doctor-Whos-nemesis-pond.html another beautiful place which also has the 'National Motor Museum' which is worth a day trip.

Bravo Bob for taking the 'Baedeker' comment in the manner it was meant wink.png

• 1 month later...

Hide the deck chairs and the beach towels :teehee:

Too late, we've got towels everywhere!

Welcome Bob! Where are you starting out?

We arrived at Dover on Thursday, stayed at the town of Deal on the South East coast, saw the white cliffs yesterday and are on our way to Portsmouth and The New Forest today. Thus far, we are totally amzazed. great country with very nice people.

Sounds like a good trip!

It is. It really is.

Ahhh did you have choice of places to stay?

Deal or no Deal?

We've booked places to stay via airbnb.co.uk so far and had great hosts. We're in Salisbury right now and went to Stonehenge, Woodhenge and Avebury today. Lovely. And we had our first Cream Tea today. Gosh, it's fabulous! We've been told Devon is the best place for such kind of thing, so we're really looking forward to have one there again.