UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Wars Kubricks!

A.J.V.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That comment honestly wasn't directed at you, BHM :lol: But Medicom really did flesh out the Jabba's Palace crew pretty well with that DX release, at least as far as the characters I care about. They even did Boushhe Leia, hibernation sickness Han, and chained-up Chewy.

I did forget about the dancing woman, the giant monster, and that fat woman with multiple boobs, though.

Edited by karamazov80

I was amused to see that Medicom are now promoting the fact that kubricks have removable limbs...... didn't we know that ? http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-C-3PO-REMOVA...=item3caf878f96

That was going to be the entirety of my post but on further investigation I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-Star-Wars-ROTJ...=item2ead541507

These carded kubrick re-released figures are an homage to the Kenner figures & to give those boys at Medicom their due they certainly go the extra yard to keep these authentic looking.....the original Kenner card also states that the figure is "Now !! With removable arms legs & back pack "

Yeah, I had that toy as a child. It references a scene where 3PO is blown to pieces, and Chewbacca gathers them up and carries him around in a bag (I think).

Certainly, their limbs are quite removable whenever a Kubrick falls off my shelf. You need superglue to re-attach those limbs, but they are removable nonetheless. Ask my Buzz Lightyear and Man-Bat.

Edited by karamazov80

The wife forced me to include that on the display. Either that, or a much larger chihuahua, so I went with the lesser of two evils :(

I've now got all three chases from the exclusive Star Wars ,Jabba the Mutt set . Here they all are & I've included the latest diorama from the DX 1 set.

post-638-1280670240_thumb.jpg post-638-1280670362_thumb.jpg

Spooky that it features Chihouahouabacca & Pluaato :ohmy:

The other guy is of course Boner Fett.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've never purchased a Kubrick before, and don't plan on starting another addiction, but I'm thinking of getting one of the 400% Boba Fett Kubricks.

I know they have released both Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi versions, but I also saw one on eBay called BXH?

Does anyone have any of these and have a recommendation or opinions on which to get?

I think they did a Boba Fett from each film (maybe BXH is from the "deleted scene" from A New Hope?). BHM can tell you more about this than I can--since I'm guessing he actually owns those figures--but the 400%ers feel surprisingly cheap. They tend to be hollow (though I don't think they all are) and just don't feel like they are worth the cost IMO.

400% kubricks go down as one of the biggest disappointments in my short toy-collecting life. They are hollow,I should have known they were hollow but it never dawned on me until I bought my first one. Having said that I've just bought a Boba Fett ESB 400% (last week) & it does look pretty awesome. The BXH was the first released & the rarest in numbers produced ...1000 compared to 2000+ for the other 2. I only have the one BF so I don't know how they compare to each other but I would imagine it is just a paint job variant & different weapons . These things are pretty pricey generally & I only bought mine because it was very cheap.

If you're going to buy some SW kubricks be careful 'cause they will grab you.

I just got the recent wave's C-3PO with Salacious Crumb that sits on his shoulder and I love it! THe only other SW Kubrick I have is Boba Fett which is an amazing figure but I just love this mini Salacious! I have a Jabba head now that serves no purpose other than to look creepy.

Just saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Star-Wars-Trooper-HA...DefaultDomain_0[/url

Damn. Is this Medicom's main strategy nowadays? Re-releasing chases in cheap-o 2-packs? I didn't have either of these, so I'll probably get them, though. Plus, that hairpiece only came with Bespin Luke I think, so I'm glad to see it being released elsewhere.

C'mon Luke with Yoda/Tarkin 2-pack!! :buttrock:

And here are the DX series 2 figures:

http://instinctoy.blog73.fc2.com/blog-entry-891.html#more

1/96 chases. . .are army builders. While Chewbacca--a figure that has been released and re-released out the wazoo, is 24/96!! WTF Medicom. . .WTF

One of the chases is the driver of the damn walker thing. Well, guess I'll just have to wait for the 2-pack he eventually gets released in.

Each time Medicom release the latest wave I do my best to get them the cheapest way I can. Currently ,in DX 2 ,there are 6 common figures & 2 secret figures which are included 1:96 . There are also 2 other 'incentives' ...a build-a-figure & a diaroma, the b-a-f is composed of specific pieces included with the specific common characters whilst I believe the diorama is included 1:48( 4 cases of 12) .

Theoretically you would therefore have to buy 8 cases of 12 to perhaps guarantee that you had all the components of a complete wave ....each case may well cost you $150 per case........... $1200. Theoretically this will give you 14 sets of 6 which will sell at $90 (perhaps) per set leaving you with your own complete set of everything & a few bits left over including a spare diorama. 14 sets would total $1260 & you'd get perhaps another $50 for the diorama...$1310.

I've never done this & I never will because I wonder whether I could be bothered to sell on all the extra sets (ebay & their charges?) ....pay the initial shippings charges to get them in the first place....sort the damn things out...ship them on....yawn yawn yawn......just to hope to get my money back !!!!

You may be wondering why I'm asking .....it's because I'm not totally sure I've got the math right ? Have I ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

Er, let's see how I would work it out--$150 for a case of 12 is a pretty low price, isn't it? But accepting that, yeah, 8 cases needed for 96. But doesn't a "master case" only have 48? In which case, can you guarantee that you'll get both chases with 2 consecutively numbered master cases or whatever? Assuming that, $1200 for 8 cases. But I think that one miscalculation you make is that the Leia and red 3PO aren't 2/12, but 1/12 (or as listed on the box, 8/96), leaving only 8 complete "regular" sets, 2 chases, and 2 dioramas (assuming one per "master case" of 48) in your haul. If you can sell the complete sets with BAFs for $100 each, and only keep one for yourself, then you get $700 back. Meaning you still have the 2 chases, 2 backgrounds, scores of "commons", and one complete set for $500. You get almost 2 Lukes per case of 12. So that amounts to 15 of him because one box contains a chase I guess. If you keep one, after losing your 7 sets, you have 7 remaining. Assuming you can get $10 for each, there's $70 dollars more ("profit" balance=$570). Then you have 16 Han Solos, with a remaining balance after all the other stuff of 8. Assuming you can sell them for $8 (since it is relatively undesirable repaint) that is $64 (balance=$634). Then you've got 24 Chewies. Again, I would guess $8 per figure or so. You'll have 16 remaining, so that's $128 (balance=$762). And finally, 23 army builder Snow Troops, with a remainder of 15. I would guess they would sell for $10, because he's the army builder. So, $150 (balance=$912). Assuming you want to sell one of the backgrounds then, you can probably get $50 (balance=$962)

If all the assumptions hold (they probably wouldn't), then you would end up paying $238 for a complete set, 2 chases, and the background. Cheaper than buying them on their own, but with the cost of having to sell and the risk of the assumptions not panning out as expected.

edit: this whole 1/12 thing annoys the crap out of me, though. I really only want 4 figures from this wave (Luke, Han, Leia, Snow Trooper). I don't even care that much for the vehicle. But to get Leia, it really only makes sense for me to buy the whole damn set. Then I'll probably try to sell red 3PO and maybe the vehicle to recoup some of the cost. MEH! I got other expensive things to buy. I can't be hassled with this stuff Medicom.

Edited by karamazov80

I had not forgotten about the 1:12 chases .....& you are absolutely right ....I just left them out for simplicity but shouldn't have. Whatever way I look at it , it looks like a lot of effort for little return. Thanks for the input Sam because I have tried on a number of occasions to see the logic of why some collectors buy cases . My personal strategy is to expect to pay $100 for each 1:96 chase & $50 for each 1:48 chase ( currently the 1:48 is the cardboard diorama ) whilst expecting to pay $90 + for the 6 commons including the b-a-f pieces. That makes a total of £340 which I'd agree is very optimistic but you have to hope & I'm off to a good start with this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT & I snagged the diorama $46 which wasn't a stunning deal but that just leaves the AT-ST Driver secret which is commanding extortionate prices ....so I'll stay patient.....two years & they'll re-release it :rolleyes:

None of my prices include the dreaded shipping !!!!!

I asked my question here because I just can't get my head around the jedidefender forum 'opinion' which perhaps inspired my post.

Yeah, the guys there are obviously as close to experts as you will find on these issues, but their core group seem to have a shared, baseline understanding of things that I don't have and that they don't explain in much detail. So, they start threads essentially in the middle of an on-going conversation that I'm not a part of and have difficulties trying to catch up with.

In any case, why do people buy 2 master cases? I don't think the economics makes sense. But it does make sense if: A) you have enough money that it isn't a big deal and you don't mind shelling out big bucks with little if any expectation of return--I get this impression from several Kubrick collectors there; and B ) you secretely don't want to get rid of all the extras, and actually have a sick need to hoard more than you need. This is an issue that afflicts myself, and I dare say, others, regarding Minimates :D

Edited by karamazov80