UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These were made before IDW's involvement with the line, as with the Gator variations, so unless the creative team decides to write them in to the comic book I imagine they'll just be prototypes sitting on a shelf in Chuck's office. Statues of the new cast would be cool but I hope DST/IDW explore the ideas of playsets and vehicles more. The Mini-Figure Resin Display Stand was awesome and I think the only thing that stopped it's release was the $80 price tag. Throw a few exclusive Minimates in with a playset and I'm sold.

Zach: can you give us some more info on the Battle Beast statues? Who sculpted/painted them? Where are they currently living? And are there plans to do the same sort of thing with the current Battle Beasts characters?

Edited by Fujis

The ones shown at SDCC weren't statues, they were prototype figure sculpts, but I've never seen them, and we have no plans to make them. The designs are 180 degrees from what we're doing with IDW, and right now we're just making Minimates. But we aren't ruling out line expansions if the toy line and/or comic do well.

Zach the Mack? No. But I did design and print all the shirts we wore at C2E2, so anything is possible.

Don't know exact numbers, but there are no Gators left in the office. Some staff members have one, I don't. Gave my only one (gold, I think) away in a contest. First Gator was silver, at NYTF 2010. Maybe 200 of those? C2E2 and SDCC, maybe 600 each? The Carry Case one, I have no idea, but maybe a similar number. The red Vorin promo, we made 600.

I was talking about the very first gator revealed back in 2009 during the SDCC. One was displayed with the now canceled Laboratory playset. It was more yellow than gold.

IMG_5770.jpg

We only make one prototype, usually. That one may be around somewhere, may be in China, I don't know.

I love these so far! I don't post much here on this board, I post/read more over at the littlerubberguys board. My screenname over there is koppenschevelle if anyone here is also on that board. I have been collecting Battle Beasts for about 25+ years now. But I am not adverse to seeing a modern take on the concept. I'll be honest, I didn't really know much about minimates, or care to know more about them, until I saw the gator prototype at SDCC 09. After seeing that figure, I immediately started looking up whatever I could about minimates in general. Big thanks to this board as well as the minimate database for all the info you guys have. I was quickly hooked.

I was lucky to be able to go to c2e2 saturday and grab myself a promo battle beast and sit in on the panel. The concept art that Zach had looks fantastic. I really loved the look and size of the scorpion and spider, especially with the 4 legs. The snake is great, with his serpentine tail instead of legs. And Gruntos looks great as well. I also met Zack, although I am bit more shy in person, so I didn't talk that much. He just helped me make a minimate. Now I wish I would after seeing how friendly Zach is.

I read through the comic book this week, and so far I am liking what I see. It will be interesting to see how the battle beasts/story works out on Earth. But I did really like the story on the other planet. I am wondering if we are going to get to see the battle beasts on their planet, before they came to earth, a bit more like this introductory story. It reminds me a bit of the storyline to Transformers, and in that, we eventually got to see more with the transformers on cybertron. I am hoping we get to see the same thing with the battle beasts, exploring their other planet more in future storylines.

Are we going to be able to look forward to most of the characters from the comic being made into figures? I saw that little yellow lizard and loved him. I would love to have him in my collection. (Although the poor thing is a little worse for wear by the end) I am a sucker for any reptilian battle beasts.

One aspect that I don't see the battle beasts collectors talking about much at this point is the ability to customize with these battle beasts. Customizing battle beasts has been a pretty big part of the hobby for a lot of members for sometime now. I have been doing customs and repaints of the battle beasts for many years, making many figures for myself, as well as others on the boards. Once I started getting into minimates, I realized how fun and relatively simple it was to swap out heads, armor, feet, etc... to make these figures whatever I wanted. I was so anxious for the battle beast line, that I have already been taking different armored minimates, and giving them a variety of animal or monster heads to make different factions of battle beasts. I am really interested to get my hands on these new battle beasts. I know I'll be getting multiples of every figure, to repaint, sculpt new pieces, swap out parts, to make multiple different characters. Below, I included a couple pictures of some custom battle beasts that I did based off of the old battle beasts, with a bit of sculpting and painting to change them up. I am curious to see what you think. When I can get my hands on an extra Vorin eventually, I plan to sculpt him with a slight beard and change up his armor and gait. I am planning on making him into Vorin's father, who he talks about in the opening of the comic.

Anyways, Chuck, Zach and all the rest at DST, as an old battle beast fan, I am really looking forward to this line! Good luck with it.

Elder Lion made from Pirate Lion:

ElderLionFullSide.jpg

ElderLionNewMain.jpg

Gorilla Warfare made from Gargantuan Gorilla

BattleBeasts098.jpg

BattleBeasts099.jpg

Hunter Lion, made from Pirate Lion

BattleBeasts128.jpg

BattleBeasts132.jpg

I honestly don't know what many of the LRG community have against Minimates -- some are offended by Vorin's square thighs -- but I think the figures will speak for themselves. I think our designs are superior to the other figures out there, the comic characters will be compelling, and the interchangability will win over any doubters.

As far as the storyline goes, the planet they're on in the beginning is not their home planet. I bellieve it is just a random planet. My understanding of the Beasts is that they're nomads, and their people actually left Earth a long time ago, and they lost the way back. You'll see clothing that references human clothing because they have the same origins. The call they hear is their first clue to the location.of their long-lost home, as well as a powerful artifact. Everyone calls them more fantasy-based than science-based, but their ships and weapons are certainly not primitive. And while watching two animal factions battle is pretty awesome, I think humans will emphasize the foreign nature of Beast culture, as well as make the storyline more accessible to casual fans.

Hope to see some Minimates customs in the future, Delta. Nice to meet you at C2E2, even if I didn't know who I was meeting. Did I shoot your Build-A-Mate?

Gotta say, I LOVE the style of these. They remind me of the Seventh Kingdom figures by 4 Horsemen which is awesome because those are some of the best action figures on the market. These are going to be super fun to customize as well. More sculpted textured parts allows for more detailed painting and techniques like inking and drybrush/weathering that you can't use on standard mates. I can't wait to paint up a bunch in different skin/fur patterns and armor colors. This is quickly becoming my new favorite toyline! :thumbsup:

EDIT: incredible customs delta!

Edited by Punisher

Nice overkill on the BB collection Kyle!

So Zach, are any of the Battle Beasts that are planned female or are there plans for any? I am genuinely curious and not just planning on asking for a squirrel girl in two different Minimates lines.

You know, I'm not sure! Not that I know of.

And watch out, Ninja Mate -- now they know you have extras!