UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hugh Jackman to stop being Wolverine

Pedro Pablumo

I'm sure some of you have heard the news but, after the third Wolverine film, Hugh Jackman will no longer be Wolverine. He's supposedly going to have a cameo in Apocalypse as well. I think a really good story to end his run as Wolverine would be Old Man Logan. What are your thoughts?

His comments about playing Wolverine in the future have been back and forth between "one more time" and "I'll do it forever."

I find these things often need to be taken with a grain of salt. He's only contracted for two more movies, so technically, as of right now, it will be "the last time." But he'd like to play the character for as long as he can if the money is right.

I'd think keeping his physique would be the real challenge.

Which is probably why he's bowing out now. He's at the top of his game, will probably never get there again, and he'd rather retire his version of the character than disappoint people.

Thing is, he's been the glue of the X-Men movies since he started. Who could possibly follow him as Wolverine?

it wouldn't surprise me if the X-Men movie universe starts branching away from the characters that we've already seen in half a dozen flicks over the last 15 years (apparently Fox is starting to notice fan fatigue surrounding several of their heavily used characters). If the Deadpool movie takes off, it's possible that he could become the new center of the movies and breathe a new vitality into the IP for the studio. If/when they do end up recasting Wolverine, I would imagine that they would take their time and let fans adjust to the new look/feel of their cinematic universe before reminding them that the definitive Wolverine actor is gone.

I was thinking the same thing a couple years back.

Jackman's body has been through a lot. He's trained like an athlete but it's bound to take its toll. He's already battling skin cancer.

I think it's time to give Wolverine and Jackman a rest, pass the torch to Deadpool and Reynolds, and resurrect Logan with a different actor when the time is right.

Based on the box office receipts I don't see many signs of fan fatigue with Wolverine. The Wolverine was lower than the other X-Men movies, but not by a lot, and DOFP made the second most in the franchise. I could be biased though since Jackman's Wolverine is one of the few things I find worthwhile in these movies.

I like that idea.

Fox definitely has a vast library of characters and storylines to draw from. If they handle it correctly, they could certainly give Marvel Studios a run for their money in terms of covering a broad range of genres.

The longest run of a single actor playing a character in movies?

Peter Sellers' Clouseau (1963 - 1982) *could* qualify if you count the '82 movie that was made posthumously using deleted footage from other PP movies.

William Shatner in the 7 Star Trek films in which he appeared (1979 - 1994)?

Anthony Daniels & Kenny Baker (1977 - 2015)?

Judi Dench as M (1995 - 2012)

Bernard Lee as M (1962 - 1979)

Edited by youbastards

Seeing as how Eastwood's character in Unforgiven is essentially the Man with No Name, that goes from the mid-60s through the early '90s. Moe and Larry were in the Three Stooges from the '30s through the '60s. I'm wondering if there were any child stars who played the same character through old age. Must have happened at least once! Opie from Andy Griffith started in 1960 and went on through the mid-80s if you consider the reunion show.

Going by the number of times an actor has performed the same character in a feature film, Jackman will have played Wolverine nine times after X-Men: Apocalypse and The Wolverine sequel. Right now he's tied with Sean Connery who's played James Bond in seven movies.

Going by the number of times an actor has performed the same character in a feature film, Jackman will have played Wolverine nine times after X-Men: Apocalypse and The Wolverine sequel. Right now he's tied with Sean Connery who's played James Bond in seven movies.

Godzilla's been in over 30 films but that's more of a documentary.