UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Luke's Toy Store Blog!

The "Best of" line overall have many of my favorite Marvel Minimates. The paint just makes them look very 4-color process.

I do love the other hues (especially metallics) but if you're looking for toys that resemble their comic book counterparts the most, I'd recommend "Best of."

Trying to decide a definitive best and worst of any character is going to be tricky. Personally, I have 5 or 6 mates that are vying for the title of 'best Iron Man' and w25's Classic Iron Man isn't among them. Still, I will not question or argue with canon law ;)

Seriously, though - the 'best and worst' series of blog posts is a cool idea, and I look forward to more. I'm loving how Luke's Toy Store is expanding with this blog. It's great additional content!

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I expected most of the debate to center around Hulkbuster not being #1. I can certainly see your points about the Best Of vs Wave 25, but I think the tampos are enough of a difference in the latter's favor to boost it over the hump. But I agree that the Best Of figure looks like he stepped off the page.

Spidey, Hulk, and Wolverine are all great choices, because they have a diverse assortment of 'mates and "looks". Zombies is an interesting idea; I assume you mean treating them as a group rather then individually? I hadn't thought of that, but I like it.

My favourite Iron Man has got to be the Iron Man 3 Heartbreaker . Sculpt and paint is amazing and the articulation is surprisingly not-hindered. Another favourite of mine is probably the Marvel NOW black and gold one. I don't have a definite worst one, but the Mark 43 was pretty awful IMO. I wasn't a big fan of the comic Age of Ultron figure either. This probably doesn't count but I'm also a big fan of all the War Machines released so far and Iron Monger is a sight to behold.

Edited by Pedro Pablumo

Great idea for a blog! My personal favourite when it comes to IronMan is the first Silver Centurion. I can't really explain why. It's certainly not the best minimate ever made, but something about him makes me smile. The red was a little cooler. The silver was nicely applied. And he just looked so freaking cute.

The Helmet always looked like it was cut a little too short - but i happily over-looked that.

One thing that i definitely approve of is the half-torso cap. It adds armour and bulk to the minimate without making him look fat (as some of the early movie mates seemed to)

Spidey, Hulk, and Wolverine are all great choices, because they have a diverse assortment of 'mates and "looks". Zombies is an interesting idea; I assume you mean treating them as a group rather then individually? I hadn't thought of that, but I like it.

Sure, between Max, Marvel, PvZ, Calico Jack and Walking Dead, there's a lot of combined variety to choose from.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of taking down my Star Wars display so I can finally showcase my Minimates.

My concerns are:

- I don't want it to be a chore to dust them.

- I need to keep track of the accessories.

- It can't take up a lot of space.

Ideally, I'd have a wall of nothing but shallow glass shelving with sliding glass doors to cover it. That way I don't have to worry about lighting and dusting. I always thought a floor-to-ceiling display would look cool.

My problem is that my current collection room is on the top floor of my house and half the walls are angled thanks to the roof. With my son moving out, bedrooms may get jockeyed around so I might be able to get a new room with 90º walls. Then I'd just need a way to archive my accessories.

Right now I've got almost all my 'mates in Plano boxes. They're pretty nicely organized and the thought of losing track of what accessory goes with which 'mate troubles me. That's when I start thinking about flat files and just keeping my favorites on display.

Damned OCD...

I'm in the process of taking down my Star Wars display so I can finally showcase my Minimates.

My concerns are:

Ideally, I'd have a wall of nothing but shallow glass shelving with sliding glass doors to cover it. That way I don't have to worry about lighting and dusting. I always thought a floor-to-ceiling display would look cool.

My problem is that my current collection room is on the top floor of my house and half the walls are angled thanks to the roof. With my son moving out, bedrooms may get jockeyed around so I might be able to get a new room with 90º walls. Then I'd just need a way to archive my accessories.

Right now I've got almost all my 'mates in Plano boxes. They're pretty nicely organized and the thought of losing track of what accessory goes with which 'mate troubles me. That's when I start thinking about flat files and just keeping my favorites on display.

Damned OCD...

I used to just keep mine in my dresser drawers, back when I owned 600+ 'mates (before I sold my collection to Luke). That way they didn't get dusty.

My concerns are:

Damned OCD...

I already have a spreadsheet database done for MARVEL (inc Vs cCapcom), THE WALKING DEAD, STAR TREK AND TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES.

If you want it, it was created using the minimate database with some amendments cause of mistakes made there and includes a list of all bases and flight stands.

Edited by JoeyCrypts