UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

We moved to DC.. now where do I find Minimates?

Hi all.. Just moved the wife and kids from SLC to the DC area (Northwest of Bethesda). The TRU in Gaithersburg is small and doesn't look to be a consistent supplier of minimates.. I stopped in Beyond Comics and they said they stopped carrying them quite a while back. Anyone living in the area that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

-Chad

Maybe.

I know there is a place between dc and Baltimore that specializes in minis, however I never made it up there when I lived in NOVA.

You just have to try different places because there are a lot of them in the area, it's just tricker crossing the bridge at hit times, so that could be a pain. I know I prob didn't help, but use to live that way.

You can check comicshoplocator.com to see which Diamond-supplied stores are closest. Any of them can order box sets (and 2-pack assortments and blind-bag counter displays) for you, even if they don't carry them normally.

When I briefly lived in College Park, MD, I used to go to what is now (but may not have been at the time) Big Planet Comics, which has four locations around the DC area, including Bethesda. The store was great in 1998, although I'm sure their inventory has changed since then.

• 11 months later...
On 7/4/2016 at 11:26 AM, Kotter Comics said:

I think my reply may have gotten lost in the technical problems.  Have you tried Alliance comics in Silver Spring?

ya, I did try Alliance Comics in SS.  They had the Deadpool wave and the dude working said, "Minimates just don't sell here".  It was a great LCS and I did pick up some other stuff for my kids while there.

We did, however, take a 40 minute family drive up to Catonsville, MD to Cosmic Comix & Toys.  First time I have seen a wall of minimates in over a year.  It was really nice, though $11 for a 2-pack stung a little (I've gotten used to TRU $$ during the past 13 months).. but I was able to snag the Captain Marvel/New Thor pack that I have been wanting so I'm calling it a win.

Thanks to everyone for the help!! (even those posts that were lost.. I did see them before they were dumped)

-Chad

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't hit up Annapolis yet.. trying to find a good reason for a day trip with the kiddos and then we will give it a shot.  Thanks!

Edited by The Vox

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mnemosis said:

FIRST IG release... =)

I mean, I'm pretty sure there would be more than the two-pack, but we did get the license mainly for other categories. If there are other Giant versions we can pair with the other civilian characters, it's possible.

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I thought DST was leaning away from 4-packs due to cost.

We are leaning away from 4-packs if we have an existing line of two-packs on deck, like with Marvel. If the line is not based on an expansive universe, or if there is interest in exclusives, 4-packs are still the way to go. 

3 hours ago, MisterMiracle said:

Do you happen to know which characters you guys are going to be doing for Beetlejuice or Elf?

I think I saw the line-ups at one point, but I'm sure you can look at the films and work out your top 6-12 most important characters/variants.

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

It'd be great if DST offered a Minimates-styled bank of the Iron Giant.

I imagine we'd offer a movie-accurate bank first, assuming we are doing one. Not sure we'd do two.

32 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

I mean, I'm pretty sure there would be more than the two-pack, but we did get the license mainly for other categories. If there are other Giant versions we can pair with the other civilian characters, it's possible.

We are leaning away from 4-packs if we have an existing line of two-packs on deck, like with Marvel. If the line is not based on an expansive universe, or if there is interest in exclusives, 4-packs are still the way to go. 

I think I saw the line-ups at one point, but I'm sure you can look at the films and work out your top 6-12 most important characters/variants.

I imagine we'd offer a movie-accurate bank first, assuming we are doing one. Not sure we'd do two.

I think you're in the wrong thread.