UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Why did Street Fighter fail?

Polarboy

What 'fiend said.......I was typing (slowly) virtually the same thing ;)

My jolly-sarcastic-public-front always dismisses them as anything on the scale from rubbish to crap .

Privately I have come to actually like them....a lot.

I perhaps feel that they arrived too early in Minimate history & weren't that compatible with contemporary Minimates of that era, their style being a tad off-kilter with everything else that was going on at the time .

I perhaps feel that they arrived too early in Minimate history & weren't that compatible with contemporary Minimates of that era, their style being a tad off-kilter with everything else that was going on at the time .

This.

I didn't pick them up when they came out because they just didn't look like the Marvel Minimates I loved. Now that there have been multiple different lines, I can appreciate what Art Asylum was trying to accomplish with the Street Fighter line.

I'm not a big fan of the game, but I think they made a big mistake in not making some of the more recognizable characters like Blanka, Guile, and Ken (well, I guess just really those three). I dunno, maybe Chuck's right and they really just aren't a video game company. But I think if they'd switched wave 1 with the unreleased second wave, they might have done a bit better.

Too many Darkstalkers characters and not enough street fighter characters. Darkstalkers don't sell well enough. The SOTA Darkstalkers line couldn't even get enough orders to produce the first wave.

I was going to say this too. I have no clue who the Darkstalkers characters were. But I grew up playing Street Fighter 2 in the arcade and on my SNES and would have loved to get more of them.

While I'm a huge Darkstalkers fan, I do agree with others who feel that maybe they should have held off using them, at least at the start. Blanka and Ken from wave 2 both looked awesome and I feel it's a huge shame neither of them were released to the public. Having said that, Demitri, Morrigan, Talbon and Felicia are amoung my favourites from DS so...

I think part of the problem is few people know who the non-SF2 characters are. A friend at work was introduced to SF thanks to her husband but when I try to tell her about Alpha, 4 and my personal favourite 3rd Strike, she's not as interested as she would be if we purely discussed SF2. In many respects they needed to do what they've started doing with Marvel - a wave primarily made up of the big guns (SF2 characters) with one or two characters from outside (1, Alpha, 3, 4 and Darkstalkers) to appeal to fans of those obscure characters.

To use Halo Minimates as an analogy [but you must remember that I am an atypical toy collector] .....I have little concept of WTF Halo is all about but I can deduce that it is a bunch of guys fighting another bunch of guys,some of whom are aliens (??) Whether I'm wrong or right makes no difference because they just look the part & anybody buying the Halo Minimates won't have to be involved with Halo game-playing to get the message that these guys battle one another. They look the part,they are army-buildable & attractive . I don't think there is any question that with Street Fighter Minimates you would have had to know WTF was going on in the game & whether Ryu was kicking Akuma , kissing Lilith or giving Demitri a combination of the two......you need to know the game to get involved with the Minimates..........not enough people did.

I'm somewhat of a like mind among those who said character selection for the first wave was what did this line in. However I still really liked the Darkstalkers mates we did get (Morrigan was part of the reason I took up collecting minimates full time, and Lilith was one of my bigger HTF grails for a while), so I'm not sure how much I would have liked wave 1 without them.

If I were DST, what I would have done was not change the lineup but take a slightly bigger risk and release waves 1 and 2 at the same time like they did with Marvel waves 1-3. Oh, and possibly do away with the redundant P2 colorways. That way even if the line did end prematurely, the sting of missed characters wouldn't hurt as much as it does now. Just my 2 cents.

It's a niche product of a niche license.

to be more blunt:

it was a niche product that had yet to find it's identity (I don't think minimates really took the form they are now and really started to kick some ass until 2007 or so) of a niche license that was competing directly with a company that's sole purpose to exist was making the most badass Street Fighter figures EVER.

also: if the designs they used were the ones mandated by Capcom ("couldn't be too sexy"?) I'm kind of glad the lines dead, I'd rather have no Street Fighters then kinda off looking attempts at Street Fighters. (which is why I'm glad NECA with their buck-reusing craziness just stopped at 2 waves)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Any update on this?

Did they drop the idea again of re-releasing Minimates, given the discussion of the thread i'm surprised they didnt try and push for a re-release when SF4 came out.