Bob's Customs - Assassin's Creed II Ezio, p.29

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks!

Really nice Nightrunner. Love that you were able to find another use for those Ghostbuster elbow pads.

I always liked these parts, but never used them before. I have another idea to use them, but there are many other customs in the queue to come first.

Not familiar with the character, but that looks really slick, nice work!

This may sound weird but I REALLY like how the seam on the mask looks.

I like that detail, too. The Deathstroke mask has this seam and it looked strange, so I treied to work with it very offensivly and make it even more prominent by using paint on it. And it worked.

And regarding nobody knowing Nightrunner (yet):

You guys need to read some DC Comics, dammit!

:)

Jeez, my ears are burning!

If memory serves, NightRunner was the source of some controversy when he debuted; there were a lot of "Batman's got a new partner... and he's Muslim!" stories going around. Similar to the stuff about new Ultimate Spider-Man. I didn't even realize that he'd been used subsequent to that first appearance. Waiting for the Batman Inc. hardcover....

Glad to see you're branching out, Bob! Now we just gotta work on Luke. :thumbsup: Sadly, you've chosen one of the bleaker times in DC's publishing history to sample their wares; the current regime has shown little to make me think they know what they are doing. Yes, DC is relaunching all of their titles (including Action and Detective) next month, though many readers are seeing it as a jumping-off point, which is not good. I'm dismayed, because I've been a DC guy most of my life, and I don't like the Quesada/Bendis horror show at Marvel any better... but they're making better comics overall, with a lot more focus. DC's a complete mess. :( Oddly enough, though, one of the guys running the show there is the other Bob Harris... you know, the one who's EIC reign coincided with Marvel's bankruptcy. <_<

Nightrunner looks great, BTW. :yes:

Edited by hellpop

Hey Bob, your Nightrunner custom got featured on Comics Alliance this morning (and Toycutter on Friday).

Thanks for letting me know. I did realize that toycutter featured my custom once more, but I don't frequent CA often. So thanks. That's cool!

Jeez, my ears are burning!

If memory serves, NightRunner was the source of some controversy when he debuted; there were a lot of "Batman's got a new partner... and he's Muslim!" stories going around. Similar to the stuff about new Ultimate Spider-Man. I didn't even realize that he'd been used subsequent to that first appearance. Waiting for the Batman Inc. hardcover....

Glad to see you're branching out, Bob! Now we just gotta work on Luke. :thumbsup: Sadly, you've chosen one of the bleaker times in DC's publishing history to sample their wares; the current regime has shown little to make me think they know what they are doing. Yes, DC is relaunching all of their titles (including Action and Detective) next month, though many readers are seeing it as a jumping-off point, which is not good. I'm dismayed, because I've been a DC guy most of my life, and I don't like the Quesada/Bendis horror show at Marvel any better... but they're making better comics overall, with a lot more focus. DC's a complete mess. :( Oddly enough, though, one of the guys running the show there is the other Bob Harris... you know, the one who's EIC reign coincided with Marvel's bankruptcy. <_<

Nightrunner looks great, BTW. :yes:

What you said about Nightrunner seems to be right. There were quite some internet discussions on his heritage. But that's the internet, right? The Batman Inc. storyline is nice, but not more. I'm sure I don't understand everything because I don't know a lot of the involved characters. I really think I'll give some series a try when DC does their relunch. My comic book guy might help me out with it. I'll see. I'm a big Vertigo fan, though.

And yeah, I read about that other Bob Harris. ;)

What you said about Nightrunner seems to be right. There were quite some internet discussions on his heritage. But that's the internet, right? The Batman Inc. storyline is nice, but not more. I'm sure I don't understand everything because I don't know a lot of the involved characters. I really think I'll give some series a try when DC does their relunch. My comic book guy might help me out with it. I'll see. I'm a big Vertigo fan, though.

And yeah, I read about that other Bob Harris. ;)

Morrison's Batman work is a bit hit or miss; the thing about Morrison is that, when he's off, his work is obtuse and borderline incomprehensible, and the thing about his Batman is that he decided that every Batman story ever has to be in continuity. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. His Batman and Robin book, featuring Dick Grayson as Batman and Bruce's son Damian as Robin is very good, though.

I will probably sample some of the DC books when they are collected. There's some books I'm interested in/ borderline excited by. The big problem, in my eyes, is that DC hasn't shown to be reliable at all in delivering material in a timely manner, or in keeping an announced creative team for any significant length of time. My hunch is that the mistakes that killed One Year Later (which was a relaunch that was set up much better) will repeat.

And DC's got Rob Liefeld drawing a comic... in 2011... that should tell you all you need to know. :yucky:

BTW, Bob, if you're a Vertigo guy, you should check out the current Jonah Hex series; don't let the movie fool you, it's one of the best books on the market. :thumbsup:

I don't know the character but Nightrunner looks excellent. I love the work-in-progress picture of Spawn too.

Thanks! Maybe I'll take work-in-progress pics more often now.

Hellpop, thanks for the recommendations! The continuity often seems to be a problem if you're not really familiar with the character's (or even Universe's) histroy. If you are, that can be a lot of fun. Since I am not when it comes to DC I rather enjoy the one-shot-stories. Miller's Dark Knight and Year One, or Millar's Red Son for instance. Regarding Vertigo, the Preacher and Transmetropolitan series are one of my favorites (hence the customs here and here. ;)) I have gave Jonah Hex a real try, because after a first look I wasn't interessted at all. But same thing is true for Preacher which I rejected for years. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my first try to replicate a comic cover for Luke's amazing contest:

NICK FURY, Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D. #4 (1968)

I decided not to use this one as my official entry. It doesn't mean that the other one will be much better, but I like the other one much better. I just think the other cover is hilarious and I really love the title-hero, but you'll see... And Smashmaster already recreated the Nick Fury one. But I enjoy this here a lot and it came to my mind the moment I read about Luke's contest, so why not share it. It's very iconic and uses lots of elements of those years and I think Steranko did an amazing job back then.

I tried doing everything from scratch including the backgrounds, but I did use the original skyline. I was surprised how well some things could be done with Minimates. Others weren't. First of all, mini Fury can't stretch his legs as good as comic Fury. No chance to fit the whole "SHIELD ORIGIN STORY!" text between his legs. It's also hard to have a minimate in that lying sharpshooter pose. Using the GB's Lady Liberty was something I was looking forward to do and she works out very fine. Smashmaster had the same idea. Glad I got her. You can view a bigger version on my flickr page.

NF-Original.jpg NICKFURY-600.jpg

Edited by Bob Harris

So here's my take on Luke's amazing contest:

The Adventures Of Dr. McNinja Book 1

I loved it. It's that easy. I like how it resembles those golden and silver age comics where the action starts right on the cover. And when you start reading, it gets better and better. Not only that the Doctor doesn't understand what his gorilla receptionist (gorilla receptionist!) says, he also needs to save his patient before he turns into a giant lumberjack (giant lumberjack!!) - Paul Bunyon's Disease! And then you get to know what Judy - the gorilla - is actually talking about: Raptor riding mexican bandits. Hands down, you can't top this!

I really wanted to do a cover with one of my customs and since the honorable Doctor still is one of my personal favorites it was easy. I did everything from scratch so I needed this strange apparatus in the back - it's this ooze can modified - and connected it with a little modified Lecter mask. Gorilla Grodd had a cameo as Judy. You can't really see it, but I used a black cardboard, cut out rectangles and glued yellow plastic foile behind it as windows. Later I realized that I could easy just photoshoped it. The doctor just needed some changes and for the patient's cloth I used paper tissue. Photoshop did the postproduction.

6122935311_c9638515a0_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After some WTH-moments he got a pretty big fanbase so, Lee Burns ladies and gentlemen here's

Flash Thompson Venom

First of all, I don't fell like the new black-ops version is as cool as the oldschool tongue-lashing Venom, but I kinda like it. Actually I like the new style enough to start reading the new storyline and it's kinda nice. But as much as I enjoy it, it doesn't feel like reading a Venom comic. He's very different from everything else Marvel did with Venom so far I guess. Anyway, that said, I really felt a Flash Thompson Venom might turn out pretty cool as a Minimate and I'm sure sooner or later we'll get an official one since he has a lot of fans already. At first view he looks like a vanilla mate, but I wanted to include as much details as this new costume offers. Shoulder pads, belt, the collar piece. I figured out that the costume although it's pretty new, already changed here and there. Sometimes he has white stripes on his legs, sometimes his belt is grey, sometimes he doesn't wear the collar and lately he has spikes on his arms. I went with this style and really like it.

The recipe: Venom's face and chest are decals. His belt is a recolored Ultimate Cap belt. His shoulder pads are from AoA Magneto. His collar is a cut, repainted and modified Law Enforcement riot helmet.

Flash-Thompson-Venom-02.jpg Flash-Thompson-Venom-03.jpg

Flash-Thompson-Venom-01.jpg Flash-Thompson-Venom-04.jpg

"Dozen men. Non-lethal force. Done. What else you got? 'Cause I could do this all day. " (Flash Thompson)

Edited by Bob Harris