UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 41

minijeff

I'm not sure that a move in that direction is "evolution," exactly.

I would call it ‘evolution’ because there are several early examples of bulking in the minimate line that mean Hulk is an ‘evolution’ not a divergent specie like Boogieman.

First we have Mugatu: http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=227&n=Mugatu From the 3inch line pre-dating Marvel, here we see an early “big chest” piece, the back of which has HEAVY sculpting detail. The lower arms are replaced with gloves giving him non-minimate shaped claw hands, his feet have fuzzy boot covers.

Here we have Mr.Osborne cosplaying the wolf man: http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=210&n=Bark+at+the+Moon note that like Mugatu he has early ‘big chest’ piece as well as sculpted gloves, but also sculpted boots!

okay, so maybe you say the 3inch minimate are too far removed, that would be like saying “a two foot tall chicken with a mouth full of razor sharp teeth is normal, velicoraptors were two feet tall and had razor teeth after all” but what if we had an early Marvel example?

http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=2&n=Kingpin Kingpin features the earliest Marvel example of a ‘bulk piece’ the fact he was made with fat suit rather then being a standard mate indicates early on minimate could have bulky covering and sculpted pieces (both hands are unique sculpts! The cigar is obvious, but the rings? Not even the green lanterns got sculpted rings) and still be a minimate... so either Hulk is a natural evolution on Kingpin’s introduced ‘bigger minimates get slip covers’ concepts and wave 1 Hulk is an evolutionary dead end, or Minimates have been looking “unminimate like” since wave 1, and indeed the fossil records indicate this ‘non-minimate’/‘non-uniform parts when required’ predates wave 1 as the Mysterio on the poster (the one with Toad and Pyro) clearly has a ball shaped head... if Minimates had always been intended to be ‘simple’ why a ball-headed Mysterio concept art? why a bulky Kingpin? why giant claws on Carnage? why the chunky bootsand necklaces on the ultimate x-men girls? or for that matter why a mask on daredevil when his mask could have been painted on, they where not yet including hair pieces and in fact made ‘unmasked daredevil’ a different figure, so if minimates are to be as simple as possible why does Daredevil get a sculpted mask?!

So in conclusion: whether he is visually appealing to the viewer is open for debate, but there is no evidence when reviewing the records that Mega Rage Bulk is anything other then the next step of minimate evolution.

Edited by dr baghead

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're here, you're already attending it.

But like a lot of on-line classes, good luck getting university credit for it.

Nicely put Dr. I agree it is evolution and only for the better.

I think one of the main issues that kept the sculpted piece counts low initially is cost and why we saw such heavy reuse in the early waves. Having to tool brand new parts at mass production without having the solid fan following that minimates have now amassed was no doubt expensive.

But things are good now and hope to see minimates for another decade.

I see the point, but I don't consider a couple of sculpted parts and completely covering the figure in slip-over parts to be the same thing. It is an evolution, but I don't think it's the only or even the best option. But it's where we are, and I'll live with it. Between a puny version and this Hulk, I'll take this one. I just think DST could do better.

In terms of getting useful credit, there's a pretty nifty blog called Law and the Multiverse. It, obviously, targets a very specific niche. It explores the would-be real world implications of superheroic situations. Daredevil, She-Hulk, and Manhunter come up a lot. The blog did an online seminar earlier this year that was actually worth continuing education credit for attorneys.

I have to wonder, and this would be an excellent question to ask Chuck directly, if there's a cost difference between slip on parts and sculpted parts, T. Or if there's some requirment in the liscence that says that a standard sized base body must be used and actually sculpting the larger arms and thicker legs would somehow violate that agreement. I am sure there is a reason why the choice was made to go this direction, we're just not in on it.

We really need to get on the stick bugging their offices and confrence room. Would save us so much trouble and confusion. And get us some nice crminal records, Probably why we haven't done it yet. nvm

While there has clearly been an incremental shift in how Minimates are modified to account for larger and less human characters, my argument before was that they more they change, the more they start to reflect what Kubricks have been since the beginning--figures that can be as "excessively sculpted as they wanna be," the essence of the original figure type be damned. Which is to say--devolution instead of evolution. Some Kubricks are only recognizable as such because they have Kubrick feet or feet pegs (like the Alien Queen). At least Minimates still almost always have a base Minimate body under all the sculpted stuff, but when you step back and look at Hulk, again, it could just as easily be a completely new type of toy and not a Minimate at all. Very tough to tell without breaking him down.

From a more technical definition, evolution implies mutations that helps with something's ability to survive, and maybe the heavily sculpted Minimates are more evolved in that sense if they sell better than less sculpted ones, but I'm not totally sure that that is the case or would be the case with most figures.

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the small bump, but I felt like throwing this out.

Say what you will about DST, but they are are some pretty awesome guys.

I emailed them a few weeks back about getting a new pointy hand for my FA Iron Man, and today, to my surprise, instead of sending me the hand, they actually sent me the figure itself with the alt. hand included!

• 1 month later...

So..is it a widespread QC problem with the Hulk having two right upper leg attachments on it?

I notice on even the Minimate Database that the Hulk shown there has this problem.

It's not a big deal, but it is noticeable. Would DST even send a replacement part for this issue?

Pretty sure after eyeballing the entire case that my LCS got, that the Hulk I ended up with has two unique hip covers.

My MvC3 Hulk, however, does not. <_<

My MvC3 Hulk has the proper hip covers, I actually have two in fact due to buying a second pack because my first Haggar broke actually.

...Though I'd prefer the wave 41 one to have proper hip covers as well... Maybe DST will give me a replacement...what is the link to them for asking on figures missing pieces and stuff?

• 2 months later...

I loved that comic too- took me forever to find the final conclusion issue. Here's some of my Spidey customs...

Working on a Spider-Hulk, Spider-Thor, Man-Spider (from the animated 90's show), and the Slingers. Which are proving to be more difficult than I thought. Anyone else tried their hand on making the Slingers? Dusk is the only one I have done so far.

post-3472-0-02079500-1328894325_thumb.jp

I loved that comic too- took me forever to find the final conclusion issue. Here's some of my Spidey customs...

Working on a Spider-Hulk, Spider-Thor, Man-Spider (from the animated 90's show), and the Slingers. Which are proving to be more difficult than I thought. Anyone else tried their hand on making the Slingers? Dusk is the only one I have done so far.

post-3472-0-02079500-1328894325_thumb.jp

I've always wanted to make my own versions of The Slingers (Huge fan here), but I never got out of the planning stages. I'm not one for painting or decaling, for fear that I'll mess up one of my precious mates forever. Maybe we should start a petition to get these amazing Spider-Man variants made. They deserve it way more than any lame-o time traveler... :)