UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Necessary Redos / Popular Redos

Valo487

no no, fair play... I get ya. Knowing this place, we've all probably had that conversation a dozen times, and all iterations of it. As you say, chicken/egg sums it up perfectly.

indeed... DST made the statement on tampos, the multiversers bring Carnage into the equation.

very true TEN, the only thing I'd change about Carnage would be his feet. I've often thought of painting up a paint of feet to match, but couldn't do the mate justice with my brush. I think all my other non-C3 mates have had their feet replaced by now.

certainly no need for a big chest, I'm a little disappointed Anti-Venom had one to be honest. Not sure how they'd do tendrils... maybe attached like Vulture or Black Bolt wings?

From a very selfish stance, I'd be happy if they didn't ever make a new one, but I realise he is often very expensive these days, and people seem to like him.

EDIT - again, TEN... I absolutely love that new big Venom, cannot wait to get him (that new sculpted head is ridiculous). There was me thinking I wouldn't ever need to improve on the wave24(?) Transformation version. So who knows, maybe they'll give us an even better Carnage... maybe.

Edited by dj87

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is it the other way around? That is what Valo and I said.

DST said tampos were v.expensive. I think Carnage gets brought up everytime tampos do, and vice versa.

It's still very hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that tampos... paint on a piece of plastic... are more expensive than sculpting and producing more pieces of plastic to show detail. Especially when for such a long time there wasn't much in the way of sculpting on these figures. Not trying to be obtuse, but it BOGGLES. MY. MIND.

Also because the excuse EVERY toy company gives for rising costs is the price of oil used to make the plastic. If that's the case, then how can paint be more expensive? :confused:

(Please note, I think DST's being completely straight with us. I think, in their case, the price for plastic isn't that much, because the parts and figures are so small. But I've no idea, really.)

It was funny...I was going through the TF pics, came to the first one of the Venom set, commented on how "the new face designs are great, but I just love the physical, three-dimensional, sculpted tongue from way back from series 1"...then I saw the new "tongued head." Holy crap. The Wave 1 head will finally go into my storage bins.

There are so many great pieces from that set, I will have the most absolutely perfect Venom on my shelves.

And I love how with a simple body swap, we'll have a regular Flash Thompson, too. Thanks, DST!

Edited by TENIME_art

I think Black Cat was a huge letdown from the Friends and Foes set, that one could have been awesome if not for the QC.

Didn't someone say that the reason Carnage hasn't been revisited is because the cost of tampos are actually pretty high, and since he requires them on every side of his body, he'd be really expensive to do?

I know what I said (TRU Wave 12 thread) .....I implied that it was unlikely that a new Carnage would be made in the same manner as the first one . I also said (somewhere) that the next one would probably rely on sculpted (moulded) tendrils due perhaps to budget constraints.

I've read recently (Portrait of an addiction) that each wave is made to a strict budget ,I would assume that an intricate Minimate ...perhaps Carnage....could be expensive but could be made.

I've always been a bit narky about tampos since my beloved W31 Captain Britain arrived without ears , hadn't you heard ?

Nor had he. <_<

...on another note( an example ):

I was sorting out an Iceman....any Iceman was the request..... for a member this week which necessitated putting them all together & choosing one to send him. Frostie is sooooo beautiful I can't bear to let one go,TRU Blue is just spot on & I didn't want to let one go ,Wave 11 is superb & I just couldn't bring myself to part with one ....but I did !

Every other Iceman is IMO not as good....not as good,not rubbish,not bad but definitely not better.

I've always been a bit narky about tampos since my beloved W31 Captain Britain arrived without ears , hadn't you heard ?

Nor had he. <_<

Completely off topic BUT this is one of my biggest gripes as well. I love Alan Davis' original Captain Britain costume, and to see it come so close but be so horribly off saddens me to this day. Anyway, I recent picked up a second one, and I'm going to try and recreate the tampo as shown on the package as closely as possible. Once I get my new brushes from Luke, that is. :thumbsup:

Every other Iceman is IMO not as good....not as good,not rubbish,not bad but definitely not better.

I will disagree on one point on those, Rob. I never liked the angry face on W11 Iceman. The X-Factor set Bobby has a much more character appropriate expression. JMO.

But totally agree on Cpt. Britain. Stubled at the finish line on that one. And unlike the Friends and Foes, which were largely a tragic accident, this was a choice to save some money. I understand it's neccessaty, but it was still disappointing.

Torn on Carnage. Still think he holds up well, better than any of his contemporaries.

I don't think Carnage needs an update at all, but I get that he's definitely hard to come by, Wave 2 wasn't it? If they make a new one, in a Maximum Carnage four pack with Shriek, Demogoblin and Doppleganger.....

I'm cool with that.

YES.

I've got him but I totally get others wanting him so badly. If he's gotta be released, it'd be awesome to get him in the EXACT set you described.

I don't think Carnage needs an update at all, but I get that he's definitely hard to come by, Wave 2 wasn't it? If they make a new one, in a Maximum Carnage four pack with Shriek, Demogoblin and Doppleganger.....

SO. MUCH. YES!

I'm cool with that.

Since Shriek and Doppleganger were a part of Carnage's resurection, that might be more possible than at first blush. Demo's been dead a long time, odd considering he's, well, a demon and they tend to be hardier than that.

But then, they're enamored with the idea of retro story themed waves these days so...

Back on the subject at large, does wanting Noh-Varr in his guise of the Protector counts as a Marvel Boy/Dark Captain Marvel redo?

I'm cool with that.

Since Shriek and Doppleganger were a part of Carnage's resurection, that might be more possible than at first blush. Demo's been dead a long time, odd considering he's, well, a demon and they tend to be hardier than that.

But then, they're enamored with the idea of retro story themed waves these days so...

Back on the subject at large, does wanting Noh-Varr in his guise of the Protector counts as a Marvel Boy/Dark Captain Marvel redo?

Not a fan of Max Carnage, but if we're going to go that route I would like to see a Cletus mate get made with the rest. However, for my redo's? I would like to see a new Power Man, Astonishing Clops/Frost/Bea....well actually all of the Astonishing crew... I'm pretty happy with my mates and really my big two redo wants (Rhino and Colossus) were just announced so I'm good.....I guess a new Fury would be cool too.

Abomination (New Bulky pieces)

Absorbing Man (Old one looks dated; Make a regular version, maybe a fully stone or metal variant)

Black Cat (QC ruined the "updated" mate)

Blade (Old one looks dated)

Bullseye (Impossible to find)

Captain Britain (Needs a cut-out mask)

Carnage (Impossible to find)

Chameleon (Was a cool idea but really not a well executed one, plus I want his costume from TAS)

Doc Ock (QC ruined the "updated" mate)

Domino (The one we have is to Liefeldy to mingle with others)

Hawkeye (Old one looks dated)

Lady Deathstrike (Old one looks dated)

Leader (Old one looks dated)

Loki (With the curly horns, the old one looks dated)

Luke Cage (Modern one, one of the all time worst mates)

Ms Marvel (Old one looks dated)

Nick Fury (616, old one looks dated)

Quicksilver (Old one looks dated)

Scarlet Spider (Old one looks dated)

Scarlet Witch (Old one looks dated)

US Agent (Old one looks dated)

Vision (Old one looks dated, non-phasing this time please)

War Machine (Rhodey, WHY WAS HE THE VARIANT)

I stayed away from movie mates which need 616 versions, which I think goes without saying

Works for me, TEN.

And I would argue that Quicksilver is a very good representation of his blue/white costume, the face is... ify but tolerable. The hair on the otherhand is awful, and Pietro's 'hairstyle' is unique enough that there really is no absolutly perfect existing replacement.

I'd go for another Blade is it were either his green goggled, wood dagger wielding original look, or the flat top, motorcycle leathers Midnight Sons era design. No more of the movie inspired versions, please.

Ms, Marvel, US Agent, and Deathstrike are within my personal levels of tolerance- not perfect, but not so bad I think they demand another one.

And I hate Cat-Beast. I hate it. I hate the reason it was done, I hate how it was done, I resent it being allowed to continue. Hank McCoy is my third favorite comics character period. (sometimes tied for second dpepending on when you ask) He'll always be the furry blue monkeye man to me. That said, he's looked like this over a decade now and his one minimate in this form is aptly nicknamed "Poodle Beast". I grudgingly acknowldge the look deserves better. >shudder< There. I said it.

You're nicer than I am Miry, I don't think cat Beast warrants...well anything. I don't understand that look for the character, and have yet to see it translate well to anything outside the printed page. The dimensions of the face requires an almost Venom TTA style sculpted head, and I don't feel like there's enough affection for that version of Beast to justify it. Beast is tough to translate to a 'mate, even the Jim Lee version has issues, and while I'm sure that someday the perfect balance could be found, after several attempts at Beast I don't really want to see another one for a while.

You're nicer than I am Miry, I don't think cat Beast warrants...well anything. I don't understand that look for the character, and have yet to see it translate well to anything outside the printed page. The dimensions of the face requires an almost Venom TTA style sculpted head, and I don't feel like there's enough affection for that version of Beast to justify it. Beast is tough to translate to a 'mate, even the Jim Lee version has issues, and while I'm sure that someday the perfect balance could be found, after several attempts at Beast I don't really want to see another one for a while.

I think the upcoming Marvel Universe Beast figure looks fantastic, personally.

I would agree that Beast is on the short list of characters that DST just hasn't gotten quite right despite multiple attempts. Dunno why it is, but there's not one that's completely problem-free. I'd say the Secret Invasion one is the best (it's my default one, at least), but it's still lacking in size and personality. Yes, I know, that's what she said.... :rolleyes: