UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST Q&A 3 - Questions

AdyCarter

Since Battlestar Galactica product is enjoying some presence in the mass market thanks to Hasbro's Titanium diecast vehicle line, has there been any effort to get BSG Minimates into Toys "R" Us or Target? If so, what can we expect?

Thanks DST for always taking our questions.

1.) Thanks for making the SM3 Exclusive Preview pack available on-line for those unable to attend WWLA. Can we expect more of these offerings/opportunities?

2.) Since Bug(From the Micronauts) is now more active in the Marvel Universe, is there a chance we can see him in minimate form?

3.) Are there any non-mainstream Marvel characters that you have considered producing into minimates? If so, which ones have come close to making the cut?

4.) In the last issue of DST Spectrum concept art of a Dr. Strange minimate was revealed to be part of a box set. Can you confirm that the remaining three minimates in the set will be new never made characters? If no, how many will be new? Will this box set be The Defenders?

5.) Have you/would you consider the Robotech property?

6.) Have you/would you consider the Movie/Comic 300 property?

7.) What are the chances of seeing a third wave of Spider-man 3 minimates down the road?

8.) Will we ever see a Movie Green Goblin/Doc Ock?

9.) What's the reasoning of soliciting SM3 Waves 17/18 without actual pictures of the mates? I noticed that some did not want to order pre-order them without seeing them, but changed their stance once you revealed pics of both waves. By the way I love them!

The reveal pics of Spider-man waves 17/18 have brought up a few questions and have caused some confusion. I was wondering if you could clear up.

10.) No Battle-Damaged Spider-man was revealed although it is announced as part of the line-up. Are we to still expect this minimate will be made or has it been replaced by the unmasked new green goblin which we saw pics of?

11.) A big chest Black Suit Spider-Man was revealed instead of the regular black suit Spider-man from the preview pack. Which version are we to expect?

12.) Will both minimates from the preview pack be incorporated into the regular wave releases. I assume so, but just wanted to make sure.

I want a job designing minimates. Point me in the right direction :D

Ditto (And I even have a Bachelor's of Fine Arts in Media Arts & Animation)

But also...

1st time questioner...

1) Semi-hypothetical, long-term, long-winded question: I'm a huge X-Men fan, let me say 1st. That said, my favorite mates are always new, previously unproduced X-Men faces. Your Cables & Bishops. Rogues & Icemans. Shadowcats & Beasts. That said, I figure a time will come when you start to run thin on popular unproduced new X-Men faces, who don't have mates already. Basically now, we're down to Gambit, Psylocke and Archangel. Then Maybe Jubilee... Havok... Polaris... double maybe for Dazzler and Longshot, but even that's pushing it. But beyond those guys, you start treading the line into the B-List territory... Banshee, Marrow, Sage, Cannonball, Sunfire, Maggott, Stacy-X. My question is, lets assume, and hope, that the marvel minimates line goes on for another 100 years. Once you've dried up all the A-listers (like the 1st few names I mentioned) and done so many non X-Men series that you just NEED to do a new set of X-Men, do characters like Marrow have any hope in the world? Or do the old classics just keep getting recycled into new versions forever and ever? Will we still get new faces in the distant future, or just new Wolverines, Storms, Cyclopses, & Jeans 'til the end of time? Is the X3 series a sign of the future? (X3 was great looking btw, but I'd have prefered them as a boxed set, and new comic book faces for the actual series, rather than new designs for 6 already made characters. But hey, that's just me, and movie licensces are at least a cool unique way to redo a character.)

So anyway, just how far down into that mutant bucket do you figure you're willing to scrape? Just the bulk of the good stuff, or all the crust clinging to the sides as well? Is Thunderbird the last bone you'll ever throw us X-Geeks? How 'bout a target series like that spidey one? I could see a ton of X-Men being easy to make from existing parts. Pack a Jubilee with a Wolverine. A Forge with a Storm. Those packs make sense AND you sneak a new face out, piggybacking on a bestseller. Then everybody wins! Hooray! Hehe.

(PS. Ideally I'd like every X-Man ever, but this was also my longwinded way of saying, "Jubilee & Marrow! Pleeeease" Just to shamelessly throw in my own personal uber-wants.)

2) Since you've done comic book mates for quite a while, and are now doing a handful of TV ones like BSG and 24, I thought I'd combine the two concepts, and I'd pitch you the stupidest great idea I ever had... "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" minimates. I want mini Fat Mommas and Monkey Women littering my desk, and I know quite a few folks who wouldn't mind a mini Major Victory. Dark Enforcer could be Iron Enforcer's variant! Stan Lee could be a con exclusive! I don't know how familiar you were with the show when it was on regularly last year, but what are the (probably astronomically low) odds this would ever happen?

PS. Wacky side-question: I attend Wizard World Chicago every year, and from these Q&A's, I get the impression you usually do too. I usually hit the diamond booth and buy a buncha mates, and there's usually a handful of guys I recognize as the same people every year manning it. I imagine one is probably you, and that we've actually met a few times as I purchased your wares, but I don't know which one. Which guy are you? Ya'll should invest in some name tags. (PS. I'm aware I could always ask at the con, but I, like many comic-book-con goers, am a socially-inept hermit, who doesn't engage in extensive conversation with strangers unless it's absolutely necissary... I'm also burned by the sun...)

PS2. Thank for answering these fan questions for us geeks, and my apologies on the length of mine. I've always been way too wordy when I type, I know, I'm terribly sorry. Heh.

EDIT: GOD does that look longer now that I see it posted than it felt as I typed it... again, sorry. : /

From the info I've gathered here at the MMMV website, it would appear that Marvel Minimates series 15, 16, 17 & 18 are all coming out in June. Is this accurate? If not, could you shed a little light and tell us roughly which series will be release on what month?

• 2 weeks later...

1) What's the likelyhood of a Black Panther/Modern Storm minimate pack?

2)Any desire to do any of the current members of X-Factor? Just think of all the variant Multiple Men you could get away with.

3)We know you love Spidey, so what did you think of all the Ultimate Clone Saga clones? Personally the Ultimate Spider-Woman looks cool.

4)You did a New Avengers wave, so is it possible we'll get to see the Mighty Avengers, along with an updated Herr Stark?

5)As far as X-Villains, it seems like we've only gotten a few(Magneto, Sabretooth, Juggernaunt, Mystique, Dark Phoenix). Any chances of getting some more, like Mr Sinster, Calisto, Apocalypse, Toad, Exodus, Bastion, etc.....or does DST want to keep more a heroic balance on the sets?

6)Any Rise of the Silver Surfer plans?

I am closing this thread for now and sending the questions over to DST. I'll post answers as soon as Ady or I get them back.