UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

youbastards' 1/6th collection - HULK SMASH!

youbastards

I'm throwing my hat into the ring of 1/6th collection threads! I've collected 1/6 scale figures off and on since the original 12" Kenner Star Wars collection. I still have my original Kenner Indiana Jones. I used to collect the Hasbro Star Wars line that was reintroduced in the 1990's, but sold them all about 10 years ago. I've been collecting Sideshow Toys 1/6 figures for years, as far back as the James Bond/X-Files/Buffy & Angel/Army of Darkness/Monty Python lines, but I parted with most of those years ago. My current Sideshow collection consists of the complete Lord of the Rings line, complete Indiana Jones line, and complete (to date) G.I.Joe line.

I've only been buying Hot Toys figures for the last year or so, but have already lost control. confused.gif
This week alone, I received the following figures:
- Indiana Jones
- New Goblin
- Batman Begins/Bruce Wayne
- Mark V Iron Man

Next month I have Captain America and Christopher Reeve Superman coming to me.

Okay, so now that I have the history out of the way, here are a few pix of some of my figures. (Sorry for the quality/flash, I'm working on getting a proper light box together one of these days).

Hot Toys New Goblin (Spider-Man 3)

This figure is a perfect example of how Hot Toys is capable of taking a weak design, and making a beautiful figure. I really enjoyed Franco's Harry Osborn in the Raimi trilogy, and thought his story wrapped up very well in Spider-Man 3, despite all of the problems with that movie. The 'New Goblin' design was never something I was fond of, but this figure really finds a way to make it an impressive design. It is hard to see in my picture, but there are LED's in the glider that light up green. I hat to replace my Spider-Man figure, and Sideshow had me destroy it instead of ship it back. I carefully cut and kept the mask specifically for this purpose.

NewGoblinjpg.jpg

Hot Toys Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

If you visit the Sideshow Freaks forum, you have probably seen many of the 'opinions' of the Harrison Ford headsculpt for this figure. There were months of delays with this figure, it was originally solicited in January, and my initial reaction was dissapointment over the final sculpt. However, in hand, this is a very impressive figure. All of the gear, except for one important piece, is very high quality. Included is the arab gear Indy wore when he used the Staff of Ra as well as the staff itself, the fertility idol and stand, a cardboard backdrop, and the typical Hot Toys multiple hands. My only gripe with this figure is the quality of the bullwhip. The material that was used is too thick, and the it wasn't braided tightly enough. I have opted to replace the whip with one made by Joe Strain, a professional bullwhip maker who had provided whips for movies like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Iron Man 2. It wasn't cheap, but 'Raiders' is my all-time favorite movie, so to me it is worth the price. I'll post some more pix once I have it in-hand, should only be a few weeks.

Indy11jpg.jpg

Hot Toys Odin (Thor)

Not much to say about this one, it may not the most impressive Hot Toys figure ever made, but the likeness of Anthony Hopkins is very well done, and he comes with everything you would expect *(helmet/staff/hands).

Odinjpg.jpg

Sideshow Toys Snake-Eyes (G.I. Joe)

This is my tweaked version of the Sideshow figure. I replaced the body with a Soldier Story body, to give it some more bulk, and added a commando sweater. I view this as a hybrid of Snake-Eye's 2 most iconic looks. This was the first G.I.Joe figure Sideshow released, and it is still one of my favorites.

snakeeyesk.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll be adding more pix periodically, and any questions/comments/picture requests are welcome.

Edited by youbastards

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lookin' good so far! I have been tempted by Odin many times, and I still haven't made up my mind whether or not to get him. I think part of me is waiting for HT to announce a Loki or Destroyer figure so I can have at least three figures from Thor. For some reason I like to have either one figure from a movie, or three or more, but not just two figures. Two just doesn't work for me. I have no idea why. :lol:

very cool, I too especially like Odin, the detail on the armour is great.

I do like to nip in to the 1/6th thread, but the prices of those guys is staggering. That said, some of them really seem 'worth' it.

... and I know exact what Luke means, I'm like that with all my collections!

Very nice collection! I like the Indy figure and think its a nicely detailed figure. We 1/6th collectors can really get spoiled sometimes and overlook how nice a figure is.

I think that's definitely true. But HT brings it on themselves with their awesome figures with pitch perfect sculpts! Very hard to go back to, say, Sideshow's paint apps from 3-4 years ago, Medicom-quality bodies, tailoring, and accessories, or sculpts with questionable likenesses when you look at HT's Superman, T-800, or Platoon guys.

Edited by karamazov80

Oh, I totally agree with you K80. It is companies like HT that spoil us, but sometimes it seems the "nit-picking" can get a little overboard. I had to get rid of my older SSC Star Wars humans because they just look ridiculous next to some of the more modern stuff. Of course, the "ridiculous" looking figures cost me about $50 and the the newer stuff is costing me two, three, four, even five times that...

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I always opt for the Sideshow Exclusives if I have the opportunity. The alt sculpt is nice, but like the one with Beachhead, I don't ever see myself displaying it that way, and since I don't troop build $100+ figures, it will most likely just stay in the box.

The figure is great, both Viper and Hawk have been a serious step up in paint and overall quality on Sideshow's part. I'm glad they decided to chrome the mask, should be a great sign of what to expect from Destro and another Cobra Commander.

I just contacted Sideshow to have them process my Captain America early, so I should have that next week. If we can't find the camera soon, we'll be picking up another one.

Edited by youbastards

Finally found our camera over the weekend, we had to cut the lining out of the bottom of a couch to get to it...

Anyway, I've been contemplating selling my Hot Toys Batman Begins/Bruce Wayne figure, and thought I should spend a little more time with it. I had picked up a custom velvet cape from a Freaks member, and with some advice from Karamazov80 I was able to get it attached. I snapped a few pix, and now I think I will hold onto this figure after all.

Batman1.jpg

Batman2.jpg

I hope to get some more pix of other figures this week.

Looks good! The 1st night out release is a nice update to an already great figure IMO. Cape upgrade is a must though, and it's a shame about the ankle pegs being generally brittle and the rubber not being as nice, quality-wise as the OC Batman version. But, I still think this is the best Hot Toys Batman out there.

To Handsomedevil's post, pics really don't do this one justice. If you get the pose right, he looks terrific.

Edited by karamazov80

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Sideshow 'Recovery at Serpent Temple' environment yesterday, and plan to display Indy on this beast!

Here is my HT Indy, with custom Joe Strain bullwhip. The bullwhip wasn't cheap, but of all the complaints people have about the HT Indy, the whip is the only thing that I really hated. Luke is currently repainting the Sideshow heads for me, and I plan to bash together an Indy that I will display with this base. The Indy Customs thread on Sideshow Freaks has been amazing, the things people have done to customize their own perfect Indy are really inspiring. I plan to pick up another HT Indy at some point to have a stock figure, and one that I can tweak to my liking.

Here are some pix with natural lighting and flash.

Indy02.jpg

Indy08.jpg

Indy14.jpg