UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Naked 721C colored blanks!

Did you ever figure out what was going on with those flesh ones? You figure they were legitimately made as flesh blanks for some purpose?

Edited by TBT!
title changed because people cant handle the word flesh! :)

I recall that one EBay lot won by Rob had 2-3 flesh blanks and a Marty McFly wearing white underwear and nothing else (the rest was flesh colored).

I probably would have washed those Minimates.

Edited by karamazov80

I always assumed they were especially made for Ivan :D

I'm afraid that I'm not that qualified to say for sure what their provenance actually is but they sure as hell look like the real deal.

I recall that one EBay lot won by Rob had 2-3 flesh blanks and a Marty McFly wearing white underwear and nothing else (the rest was flesh colored).

I probably would have washed those Minimates.

Marty's underwear was a problem ......I put him in the fridge but no way would they come off :sick:

I always assumed they were especially made for Ivan :D

I'm afraid that I'm not that qualified to say for sure what their provenance actually is but they sure as hell look like the real deal.

DST had a short test run done of "flesh colored blanks" at one point, from what I heard it was to check/confirm the "new default skin color" was correct. I have one that was sent to me directly from a (now EX) DST employee.

Of course there could be a bunch of blanks out there that are made up of various flesh colored bodyparts taken from from regular minimates by someone with a wierd fetish.

T.

Of course there could be a bunch of blanks out there that are made up of various flesh colored bodyparts taken from from regular minimates by someone with a wierd fetish.

So no one will ever really know if Rob got these legit...

The one I have came from someone who claimed something like what TBT said. I just think they're kind of creepy and try not to let my wife see that part of the collection.

Though it would be possible to piece complete blanks together, getting the same skin tone for every piece and making sure that they all fit correctly (not too snug or too loose) would be more difficult.

Though it would be possible to piece complete blanks together, getting the same skin tone for every piece and making sure that they all fit correctly (not too snug or too loose) would be more difficult.

Agreed. And to agree with bhm, they sure seem real enough. The only surprising thing about them (to me) is how the one I got sold for next to nothing. Why no love for the naked Minimates?

At the risk of annoying everyone on the board, can I ask that members more accurately describe colors? I am going to post this suggestion over at the Minimates Database thread as well. Less from a political correctness stand-point, and more from a graphical arts perspective - it would be better if we called Minimates blank colors by their actual name. Flesh is not an actual color, and I am not flesh colored. I am peach! No one in the arts industry uses the term Flesh to describe a color.

Ethnography

Peach resembles average Caucasian skin tone. Crayola created a peach colored crayon in 1949 named Flesh, which was subsequently renamed peach in 1962 in response to the activists of the civil rights movement, who pointed out that this color is only the color of the flesh of Caucasians.

I know "Flesh" is easier to type than "Caucasian Skin Tone" but it lacks accurateness. Plus, the hue and tone of peach can vary widely. If DST has locked down a standard peach they are using for "Caucasian Skin Tone" then let's call it Peach.

Request will be cross posted over in the Minimates Database thread.

I can't exactly say that i think it matters that much, so i'll just offer the words of my Physics Teacher, who was just discussing this whole "color" situation last week:

"What is lavendar?? What is "Mahogany??" What is "Peach??" Those are flowers, woods, and fruits. They are NOT colors."

I kind of agree with him...sorry JP...:confused:

I've just studied my CST minimates (former nomenclature -flesh minimates) & I concede that they may be Frankenmates. There is a subtle yet distinct difference between the various ...er...bits. I'm rather glad because disclosures about owning anything too unusual here often results in the owner disappearing :(

However....Minimates consist of 15(?) parts & each might be moulded separately ,pigments in plastics degrade irregularly over time (checked out your C3 alternate Superman lately?) & who would bother anyway???

If DST has locked down a standard peach they are using for "Caucasian Skin Tone" then let's call it Peach.

You know I'd much rather call it Flesh like AA/DST call it ;)

post-7-1275954408_thumb.jpg

post-7-1275954460_thumb.jpg

post-7-1275954493_thumb.jpg

I guess if you wanted to try to save some artistic credibility then you could call it Pantone 0721c though :D

post-7-1275953578_thumb.jpg

This is the "flesh" colored minimate and a blank white minimate for color comparison.

As far as I can see there is zero difference in color variation from part to part.

Seeing as we are talking blanks... the white is a pure white direct from AA. It's from the AA days when they used to supply their artists white blanks to use as a base for painting up prototypes.

T.

I don't understand what you mean by flesh. :)

Twisted Two-Face's Physics Teacher would say flesh is not a color, either. It is actually a pound you pay when you are in trouble with your wife. (He's also a blast at parties when he argues with the Philosophy Teacher who says that wood, fruit, and flowers are simply abstract constructs existing as the combination of electrical impulses between neurons).

TBT - With all due respect as well, toy fans are certainly more diverse racially than a bunch of fat white guys sitting around in dark rooms or mom's basement. I object less to what a bunch of toy fans want to call a color, but members of the toy industry (i.e. DST) should be a bit more sophisticated. Not that they've ever called peach "flesh" to my knowledge but I'm just saying ... In any event, I don't think you can assume all readers of the Multiverse will automatically assume Flesh means Peach, and this issue has come up on other toy forums despite the fact no one has brought it up here.

buttheadsmate - I have no idea what you are saying as usual. :P

Hope I didn't offend anyone, just wanted to voice my 2 cents.

If DST has locked down a standard peach they are using for "Caucasian Skin Tone" then let's call it Peach.

You know I'd much rather call it Flesh like AA/DST call it ;)

post-7-1275954408_thumb.jpg

post-7-1275954460_thumb.jpg

post-7-1275954493_thumb.jpg

I guess if you wanted to try to save some artistic credibility then you could call it Pantone 0721c though :D

post-7-1275953578_thumb.jpg

This is the "flesh" colored minimate and a blank white minimate for color comparison.

As far as I can see there is zero difference in color variation from part to part.

Seeing as we are talking blanks... the white is a pure white direct from AA. It's from the AA days when they used to supply their artists white blanks to use as a base for painting up prototypes.

T.

Wow, nice find! Thanks TBT. Now I have an actual complaint to take to DST. I am honestly shocked.

This opens up a HUGE can of worms in my opinion.

This opens up a HUGE can of worms in my opinion.

Are those flesh colored worms? :D

FYI folks the first part of JattaPakes last post was in response to my initial post questioning if we should care about industry names for things in this sort of forum.

I used a chemist asking for sodium chloride at the dinner table rather than salt as an example. Obviously I found a better way to make my point though :D

oh and just to show J.P. no hard feelings & t oconfuse him even more ;)

post-7-1275955622_thumb.jpg

This is also flesh. Seems DST calls everything that is human skin "flesh" and uses Pantone colors for clarity during production!

Either way it's a moot point I've posted a pic and we all know what color we are talking about ( pantone 721c)

T.

Hmmm...I don't see anything indicating that this is Pantone 0720c, nor the official name Flesh. Pantone 12-0720 is officially called Mellow Yellow.

http://www.pantone.com/pages/SiteSearch/SiteSearch.aspx

This appears to be an internal DST color naming scheme, certainly not something that translates this color as Flesh into Chinese (which is what the factory would use).

You did bring up a far more disturbing point. Does DST believe non-Caucasians lack flesh? Or that their skin isn't the proper color of flesh?

Edit: Clarified by TBT's post above using Black Panther.

Ok, can we now agree that Flesh can be different colors? TBT just proved my point that DST uses a wide pallate for Flesh. We should call it a Peach blank. :P :P :P :P

Dan,

Stop replying so fast... give me time to totally change my posts directly after editing :D

I think I answered your question. Yes I proved my point and then countered it somewhat after wondering If they used that term for all flesh regardless of color.

oh and 721c is not the same as 12-0720.

I found multiple references to 721c ( the C denotes Coated paper) as a pantone reference but found nothing on your mystery color!

I'm sure BHM will have something to chip in on this subject as he used to be a printer and it's rumored they know a bit about pantone reference.

Lets get back to talking about the minimates and if they are complete mates of the same origin or frankenmates :D

T.

p.s. I'm really glad I made this a seperate thread now :D

p.p.s. Never try to google the word flesh with safe search turned off.... Oh my! *blushes*

I can't exactly say that i think it matters that much, so i'll just offer the words of my Physics Teacher, who was just discussing this whole "color" situation last week:

"What is lavendar?? What is "Mahogany??" What is "Peach??" Those are flowers, woods, and fruits. They are NOT colors."

Your Physics teacher seems to be confusing the colors in the light spectrum with the "colors" that are used to name pigments. You should ask your Art teacher if there's such a thing as "peach" :)

I'm with Crayola on this one!

Edited by battlecat

Your Physics teacher seems to be confusing the colors in the light spectrum with the "colors" that are used to name pigments. You should ask your Art teacher if there's such a thing as "peach" :)

I'm with Crayola on this one!

Crayola is exactly who he was attacking with that. :P

OK FOLKS..... In order to get this back on topic....

For the purposes of this thread I am decreeing that:

Just because other colors of skin/flesh exist, it doesn't make what we are talking about not flesh colored.

It is like saying green apples cannot be described as green because there are red apples.

Anyone who wants to debate otherwise go do it somewhere else! :D

T.

seriously?? your going to argue a "light toned flesh" be called "peach"??????

I am a web designer/graphic designer and have NEVER heard the term peach referred to as white Caucasian.

I will agree that "flesh" is not a color but an object. Flesh is one of those things that you cant totally understand without knowing the context. Obviously if you saw a picture of the 3-eyed martian from Toy Story and said "Look at his flesh" you would know I was talking about green.

I think the term "Flesh" is appropriate when talking about skin and or skin pigment. if there is not enough detail to understand the exact color of the flesh, the more information is necessary such as "Orange colored flesh" or in the instance of AA/DST "Flesh-0499c" is acceptable.

edit: sorry posted right after you TBT.

back on topic. Where are the flesh colored or "naked white dudette" minimates" :)

Edited by Ninja Mate

Just because other colors of skin/flesh exist, that does not make what we are talking about not flesh colored.

It is like saying apples cannot be described as Green because there are Red apples.

All I was saying is the thread title "Apple colored blanks" would be kinda wrong/vague, in that instance.