UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ideas for a MAX seasonal series

Prowlar

After reading Valo's proposal for a Marvel Advent Calendar I got to thinking about how much fun a seasonal MAX line would be. While an Advent Calendar might be expensive a blind bag 12 strip could be a good avenue to consider.

Still I've been thinking about seasonal mates since the Pirate Santa was shown so, with nothing better to do, I spent a bit of time working up an Advent Calendar line up.

Day 1: Reindeer (Giraffe Battle Beast with cheetah's fur cape/shoulders and new head sculpt)

Day 2: 2 Horn Axe Weapons (Cheetah Battle Beast)

Day 3: Red Harness (Sarah Connor) and Trans Blue Ice Shield (Giraffe Battle Beast)

Day 4: Dash Base (quicksilver) transparent with gold flecks or metallic gold

Day 5: Alternate Reindeer head molded in transparent red and then painted so that when held up to the light the nose glows red

Day 6 Max Arctic Trooper

Day 7: Arctic Trooper heavy jacket and gloves

Day 8: Arctic Trooper skies and boots

Day 9: Arctic Trooper helmet and rifle

Day 10: Elf Hat (Elf Spock hair and hat)

Day 11: Snow Man (Stay Puffed with a new snow man head sculpt and Gruntos hands)

Day 12: Transparent blue ice sword (Pathfinder Konkrud) & snowball launcher (Plants vs. Zombies football gun)

Day 13: Ice tomb (Iceman)

Day 14: Giant Mallet (DC Harley Quin)

Day 15: 4 Snow Balls (Energy balls in solid white)

Day 16: Toy Robot Soldier (Iron Man Heartbreaker Helmet, Mass Effect Garrus Armor, Hulk Buster hands, Mecha Hulk hip armor and legs)

Day 17: Reaper scythe hand, Marvel Warlock gripper hand, Lost in Space Robot claw hand, and Sentinel glove with long tentacle

Day 18: Cylon Feet and Lost in Space Robot treads feet

Day 19: MAX Pilot armor and 2 Halo Kat pistols

Day 20: Polar Bear (Battle Beasts Bear)

Day 21: Battle Beast Bear Axe/Sword and Universal Monsters Dr Reed spear gun

Day 22: Ice hammer (Hammer of Angrir) and Snowball cannon (PvZ plant grenade launcher)

Day 23: Christmas tree

Day 24: Red Bag with small block packages

Day 25: Santa (Pirate Santa concept)

Perhaps put out a slightly stripped down blind bag series with 3 Reindeer, 3 Snow Men, 2 Arctic Troopers, 2 Toy Robots, 1 Polar Bear, and 1 Transparent Blue Frozen Santa. That would leave Santa as a box set exclusive along with many of the extras. As for marketing have it set up like the Best of where stores can re-order the Advent Calendar every year with the blind bag assortment having color changes to armor and fur with a different exclusive transparent character.

Prowlar, that advent calendar lineup sounds perfect! Maybe hold off on the blind bags... do the calendar the first year, tempting some to buy multiples to troop build. If it doesn't sell like gangbusters, go blind bag the NEXT year with subtle tweaks to help move any unsold product?

In fact... could DST offer a reimbursement plan? Any unsold units as of January first get bought back at half cost? Now DST sends the figures back to be retouched and repacked as blind bags for the following year? I don't know if that would be possible...

(Although I MIGHT do a new had sculpt out helmet for the robot... something more "classic")

Prototype of what? If you mean the Robot the closest I have is a custom that uses mostly Garrus parts and a movie Iron Patriot helmet with AoU Ultron hands.

I figured the first year the calendar would likely be a TRU exclusive sort type deal with the blind bags being for other retailers to get their feet wet to see how seasonal mates would work. I mean I just picked up a Lego Chima Polar Bear set at Target for about the same as a blind bag minimate would be. Of course I then felt guilty so I went and got 2 more Mass Effect mates even though I'd already picked up a full case. So I'm sure if there had been a minimate option I'd have skipped the Legos and got three minimates right there.

As for buying back the unsold sets at half cost doesn't really make sense considering the sets would likely end up on the 50% off MSRP after Christmas sales isle and still be a better deal for the store in the long run.

As for a new head for the robot I was trying to keep new tooling to a minimum though doing a new calendar each year with the same basic characters with new or different bonus parts and simple recolors in the blind bags would make sense.

Of course I'm just in it to get more battle beasts and a complete team of Reindeer. Bonus points if they could sneak in a new head sculpt with glasses of Thrasher from Disney's Prep and Landing.

I guess my point of DST buying the unsold merchandise would have been for after clearance sale at the store. my thought was that these weren't something a store would want hanging around all year long, and instead of selling them at an eventual 90 percent off, maybe DST could just buy back the excess