UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Is the Battle Beasts comic any good?

I didnt know wher to put this but uh... Is the Battle beast comic worth the buy? Im 80% sure of buying it, but I just want to see if its worth the money . Im really going to go hard on the BB minimates but just asking. I read the pre-view comic and it looked pretty good. So yeah. Thats my question :biggrin:

It is a well written, well drawn and well inked comic. There is nothing particularly bad about it and MANY things that are awesome. Especially seeing where the line could possibly go in terms of characters. Also I think if you get the comic, you will like your minimates more because they have a story behind them, a well developed one at that.

Sorry guys, honestly I think it's SUPER mediocre. Ho hum story and kinda lame characters. HOWEVER, it is extremely fun and the art is fantastic. I absolutely loved the MM nod on the dudes shirt. Overall, it's a dead ringer reminder for old toyline based comics, and it's awesome that this one happens to be mates. Regardless of the story I will continue picking it up!

Sorry guys, honestly I think it's SUPER mediocre. Ho hum story and kinda lame characters. HOWEVER, it is extremely fun and the art is fantastic. I absolutely loved the MM nod on the dudes shirt. Overall, it's a dead ringer reminder for old toyline based comics, and it's awesome that this one happens to be mates. Regardless of the story I will continue picking it up!

A little early to judge story and characters, don't you think?

It's actually pretty good.

For a first issue - i think it plonks you right in the middle of the action; it lets you know who your characters are; it's got a spot of humour; all in all - i'd have to say i think it's going to definitely be worth continuing to read.

It might not quite have the depth of Whedons first run on Astonishing X-Men.... but it's a first issue!!!!

I think this is going to be a LOT of fun to follow.

Edited by Nessex

At first I was is this all its going to be Beasts clonking each other with swords. Then the plot gets to earth and for me the story stepped up a notch and the fights scenes took on a sense of scale (reminded me of Axe Cop in its anything goes.)

By the end of the comic especially the last page I was I want one of them as a minimate and one them and them and him and that one etc.

The Minmate reference on the kids shirt was cool and all the different covers shown. I wonder how much more traffic Luke will get after this exposer.

I dislike seeing Animals die and this comic is full of that. People characters not so much, but when a Bear or some other animal gets stabbed with a sword, it turns me off. I thought I'd enjoy this book more, but I'll have to keep reading to see.

Are there going to be any female Battle Beasts? I'm already a little tired of the 3 main characters. I'll gladly buy all the minimates, but there's so many comics out that take priority before this one.

but definitely pick up the book and decide for yourself!

I really liked the comic. The story for me is very reminiscent of something to come out of the 80s. Some outside force waging an unknown war brings their battle to Earth. Felt nostalgic to me, but at the same time, the seriousness of the action made it feel more modern or adult oriented.

As for the depth of the story, right now I am undecided, but very excited. I think we got just enough to get a sense of who the main characters are, but mostly it was just a quick introduction to them before we saw them forced into battle again. But it does leave a bit of mystery there that creates a hunger to see more.

The art is fantastic. Not a single bad thing to say about that. Well done in every aspect.

If there is something I would like to see from the story, it's a more concrete, solidified nemesis or force working against Vorin and co. Right now, it feels like it's just the three of them versus all other beasts. And while the action scenes against the desert beasts and the bear were very exciting, I would imagine there would be some other beast, leading the campaign against vorin. A foil or antithesis to Vorin and his ideals. I think that would help keep the enemy from just being nameless hordes fighting them. I am also interested to see how far they go into depth about beast society. Are there others that support Vorin and think they way he does? Are there other beasts that one would consider "good guys" but are still opposed to Vorin's actions? So far, Vorin seems to have dispatched any other beasts they come across with relative ease. I want to see who might be the equal of Vorin in battle prowess.

But that's all a good thing. It has me thinking and wondering about the rest of the world and what Vorin, Merk and Gruntos will be faced with.

And that Bear beast was fantastic looking. I am really hoping that we get a minimate of him. I am really excited to see more designs from the book for more beasts.

There are villains. We will get more info about the main characters' backgrounds. They will be sticking around. Not sure about female beasts, but Transformers did okay without any. Beasts will continue to die. This is why Vorin wants it all to stop. War is hell, and war without sides or reasons is worse.

There seem to be waaaay more villians than good guys, so far. I will give BarRoomHero this much...its not a real exciting beginning, but lets see where it goes. I feel like I have so many at this point, I could wall paper my office with them. In other words, don't buy the first issue as an investment because I could flood the market at any time...

It's not fair to call any of the Beasts villains. They only know violence, and they only want power. Most are simply slaves to their base instincts. I think we'll meet more noble (or at least civilized) beasts later, but most Battle Beasts are antagonists, is a better word for it.

I think people will like the main characters more as we find out more about them. Eventually, everyone will have a favorite out of the three. But kids who don't read the comic (and free-thinking adults) will be able to take any Beast figure and make him the hero of their own stories. Maybe the moose is a good guy, who knows. I haven't seen him turn up in the comic and gut anybody. Yet.

I somewhat agree with ImABarRoomHero, it is a slow start, the humans characters might throw it off for me. I know Transformers had them, but they were just supporting/background characters, these humans look like they'll stick around for a while.

Still I'm definitely looking forward this first arc and possibly any homage or cameos from the old Battle Beasts.