UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Statues Talk

karamazov80

As suggested by handsomedevil elsewhere, here is a thread those interested can use to discuss statues--or those largely static representations of all things more or less geeky. We were talking about the Sideshow Premium Format statues in the other thread, but Multiverse members are a diverse lot, so this thread is for discussion on all types of statues--be they paper weights, bookends, or more conventional fare from site sponsor Sideshow (see above links), Bowen Designs (many of which are available from site sponsor Sideshow Collectibles ;) ), or *shiver* DC Direct.

To carryover from the discussion in the 1/6 scale thread, I'm pretty excited about the Premium Format Wolverine, which was just announced here. For those not familiar, Premium Format statues are "mixed media," usually meaning that they are partly "polystone"--a tough, ceramic-type material--and partly cloth.

Luke describes how this is realized in the "PF" Captain America here. As you can also see in his picture, these PFs are pretty dang big, being 1/4 scale (versus 1/6 scale 12 inch figures, or 1/18th scale 3 3/4" GI Joes; Minimates might be closer to 1/24 scale or so, as are the Transformers Alternators).

Note: if you are interested in forthcoming Sideshow statues, it might be a good idea to sign up for Priority Pre-Ordering here so that you can get in on pre-ordering early. . FYI, exclusives can sell out within minutes.

And remember, if you want to buy or pre-order something directly from Sideshow, click the links on this forum first so you can support this great site. Pre-orders from Sideshow cost you nothing until an item arrives in-stock, and you are not charged any cancellation fees. Plus, if you deal directly with Sideshow, you have one of the best customer service teams in existence. As such, when investing in expensive items such as these statues, it might behoove you to consider ordering directly through Sideshow as opposed to other retailers carrying their goods.

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Premium Format Kirby styled Hulk statue from Sideshow. His purple pants are cloth! It's an amazing piece of art. I drove from south of Philly up to Jersey to pick it up and save on the shipping. The box is huuuuuuge!!!

The sculpting on that Kirby Hulk is spot-on. It looks like he stepped straight from the comics.

It's probably my favorite statue and well worth the price tag. I was thinking about getting the Galactus, but I wanted the exclusive and it sold out. The regular version is available, I'm just not sure I have the room for it at this point. I have probably 100+ Bowen statues and busts at this point and I'll be selling most of the busts very soon.

I have the Premium Format Kirby styled Hulk statue from Sideshow. His purple pants are cloth! It's an amazing piece of art. I drove from south of Philly up to Jersey to pick it up and save on the shipping. The box is huuuuuuge!!!

The sculpting on that Kirby Hulk is spot-on. It looks like he stepped straight from the comics.

That thing is magnificent. It was the first PF I actually really noticed at my comic shop, and to this day is the one I want the most. But it's price just keeps going up. However, Sideshow announced recently that another Hulk PF is coming in the "relatively near future" and that a Planet Hulk PF may also be coming at some point (may or may not be referring to the same thing). In any case, I hope that means the original version will go down a bit in price.

On a related note, correct me if I'm wrong, but "Comiquettes" are typically PF-sized statues from Sideshow, but with no cloth parts, right? If so, I can imagine a Hulk Comiquette coming at some point, as well. Surely, Sideshow needs to do an angry Hulk.

I have probably 100+ Bowen statues and busts at this point and I'll be selling most of the busts very soon.

:jawdrop: Where the heck do you store them? Do you live in a big mansion or warehouse? :P

Hey Karamazov, just to clarify "mixed media" as per Sideshow... Not only are they polystone (fine crushed stone mixed with a resin compund) & cloth, but they also include other materials like glass and metal. I figure you know this, but others may not.

I, too have the Sideshow PF Hulk. I saw him at SDCC and was amazed. I had never seen anything like it and thought he was a display piece not meant for sale (you know how sometimes a large version of an item will be used as a display). I immediatly put in an order and he is in my home office.

I also have MANY other Bowen, Hard Hero, Moore Creations, DST, Sideshow static pieces. Most of my collection is Hulk related. In fact, I am expecting a new addition to show up on my doorstep any day now. The "Retro" Incredible Hulk by Randy Bowen. This will of course be followed by the Bowen Maestro & Planet Hulk pieces.

My static stuff also includes some Star Wars pieces. I am a fan of Stormtroopers and Vader, so I have many statues and busts of these troopers, clones, Tarkin & Vader.

Hey Karamazov, just to clarify "mixed media" as per Sideshow... Not only are they polystone (fine crushed stone mixed with a resin compund) & cloth, but they also include other materials like glass and metal. I figure you know this, but others may not.

Being new to statues, I did not know that, actually. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm really new to statues except for a Diamond Premier Collection She-Hulk (in F4 costume- sweet) I won from a website drawing and a few Star Wars mini busts (Vader, Mynock Hunt Chewie and Plo Koon).

The Premium Format Darth Talon has got me ready to drop $300 though...

If you have 'em handy, how about some pics fellas?

I've posted mine elsewhere, but here is Cap:

DSCN1927-1.jpg

DSCN1926.jpg

I've also got both Minimate Max statues, a few GI Joe Palisades busts (Flint, Cobra Commander, and Roadblock), and the JLU Batman and Joker paperweights.

The gloves and boots are "polystone," and though I'm not positive what the shield is made out of, it doesn't feel like metal.

For the exclusive (that I don't have), the Ultron head can be switched out with a WWII Nazi helmet, and Cap's head and shield can be exchanged to represent his 1940s look.

New pics of Wolvie PF are up. Available for Priority Pre-Order Friday at 10 Pacific time, so, noon Central time. Exclusive has interchangeable "maskless" head. Complementary Sabretooth PF is forthcoming.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?p=7972

post-1827-1257997092_thumb.jpg

post-1827-1257997142_thumb.jpg

Y'know, there is a lot of justifiable hatred toward the guy due to his massive over-exposure and saturation of nearly every Marvel comic-related collectible or toy line.

However, there is a reason Wolvie is as popular as he is. As a 6-7 year old kid, Wolvie was my favorite superhero. To this day, if I can remove myself from the over-exposure and crappy stories and crappy movies he has been given and stuck into over the last 20 years or so, he is still up there. Certainly, he is one of the coolest looking characters around. Up there with Batman.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got my second Premium Format statue today, and it is a beaut. Unfortunately, there is a minor, but very noticeable discoloration on his pants leg, so I'm gonna try to return him. Might seem like a minor quibble, but at this price, you shouldn't settle for flaws in my opinion.

DSCN2379.jpg

DSCN2380.jpg

DSCN2378-1.jpg

and for scale:

DSCN2375-1.jpg

I have noticed quite a few of these "animated" statues that aren't based on any actual cartoon, but instead are cartoony interpretations of film/tv characters who never looked like that in cartoons. There is a Dr. Horrible, some Firefly ones, a Jason Voorhees, and various Star Wars statues of this variety that I've seen. I think these are kind of strange, but I guess someone is buying them, or they wouldn't keep making them.

The only Star Wars "Extended Universe" stories that I care about are the Ewok adventures tv movies.

I have noticed quite a few of these "animated" statues that aren't based on any actual cartoon, but instead are cartoony interpretations of film/tv characters who never looked like that in cartoons. There is a Dr. Horrible, some Firefly ones, a Jason Voorhees, and various Star Wars statues of this variety that I've seen. I think these are kind of strange, but I guess someone is buying them, or they wouldn't keep making them.

I think I've also seen some Lord of the Rings ones (no joke); my guess is that they were something of a precursor to the whole urban vinyl trend and a major driving force in these "artistic reinterpretations" of old popculture properties that are so in vogue now.

Personally I don't mind them if they're actually faithful to the spirit of the character, though I imagine a couple of them must be pure WTF-worthy stuff indeed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That'd be me :). Outside of the Maximates I never had much interest in statues, but I bought and love the "toony" Leia/Artoo and Buffy. I really liked the Wicket and trash compactor Luke too, but couldn't quite justify the money at the time.

As NR said, I think some of these really capture the spirit of the characters. With Buffy I was a huge fan but had never thought any of the action figures looked like her enough, and didn't dig the Palz (sorry BHM!). Ditto Star Wars toys, although I've since bought some of the newer Lego line. I guess I generally dislike toys/statues that are supposed to look like "real" people, because the faces are always a bit (or a lot) "off" -- with something as stylized as these (and Minimates of course!) it's not an issue.