The Avengers movie

MINI_MYTE

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw it tonight, but had a bad experience. Our babysitter called in sick, so we had to bring our 3 year old with us, and he would not stay still or quiet. Plus we saw it at a crappy theater that was very dim and quiet. I really liked what I did see, but I feel like I missed a lot. I am going again on Thursday with a friend, in Imax 3D. I am guessing that will be better. :)

Okay, after mulling over it for a while. I liked it, but didn't love it. EMH is a hard act to follow, IM1 was lightning in a bottle, and I think I built up expectations too high.

But really, EMH spoiled it for me. :/

What is EMH?

Extreme Monster Hunters

Everything Mark Harmon

Elijah Making Honey

Elisha Meets Hulk (a love story told in Webheads sig line)

I saw it tonight, but had a bad experience. Our babysitter called in sick, so we had to bring our 3 year old with us, and he would not stay still or quiet. Plus we saw it at a crappy theater that was very dim and quiet. I really liked what I did see, but I feel like I missed a lot. I am going again on Thursday with a friend, in Imax 3D. I am guessing that will be better. :)

Sorry to hear that Luke. Being a dad as well I feel your pain. By the time I got to the theater myself to watch Avengers I was exhausted. I really just wanted to see all of them fighting together instantly- and skip over the intro. Our plans to do dinner beforehand were botched. Pizza Hut was telling us it'd take 45 min just to get the order in as half the staff didn't show up to work. We went to another restaurant and were seated right away with drinks. We waited 20 minutes for the waitress to come back and get our order. We were running out of time. Tickets luckily ordered in advance, but still wanted to get a good seat (was sold out show).

Long story short....TOO LATE. :rolleyes:

We ended up hitting Wendy's drive thru and scarfing it in the parking lot. Lame.

My only other movie crap-out was when I went to see Back to the Future 3. Just as Marty drives into the indian mural drive in, there's the flash of light as he reaches 88 mph and then....THE FILM RIPS.

:jawdrop:

Granted, it looked cool at first, but I was so upset. I had to wait two weeks until I could see it again.

vbp- Dinobutt is talking about the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon now in it's second season on Disney XD. Which is really cool in it's own right, no doubt.

But I've been watching cartoons with Marvel characters in them all my life, and while EMH is one of the best I've seen I never expected to be able to watch an actual live action Avengers movie. Certainly not one that well done.

Finally had a chance to see it yesterday. Ya, it's almost pointless for me to give my thoughts since everyone else has already covered them a thousand times. But regardless, it was a phenomenal film. Whedon, and comics in general, have gained a much stronger foothold in the public's eye, and this can only be a great thing.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't cringe at all while watching Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill (not that I was expecting to hate her. I just get annoyed by her every time I watch HIMYM), quite the opposite, in fact - I rather enjoyed her in as Hill. Also, it was interesting to note how frequently (and creatively) reflective surfaces were used in the framing of scenes.

All in all, a stellar film with a few (very) minor flaws (which are so minor, I can't really hold them against the film... possibly with the exception of the final stinger)

I love it that people are still talking about this movie so much. Only one of my co-workers has seen it (despite us telling everyone else to go see it) and the two of us don't normally work together so I haven't been able to talk too much about it IRL

My wife and I didn't have time for dinner before seeing it either. We tried bit just had to buy popcorn and soda ($16) and eat that while we waited for the theater to let us in. The hunger didn't ruin the experience at all. Absolutely loved this movie and cant wait to see it again.

And I'm with Miry, no matter how good the cartoon is, it was so exciting to see them in live action - the heroes - the Hellicarrier - the action - it was like seeing everything fully realized for the real world.

Cap reunited with an old Peggy? Very much looking forward to seeing that. One of the only good bits about the horrible 90s Cap film.

Hopefully she doesn't mind him being late.

• 2 months later...

I could go for a SHEILD vs VIPER/HYDRA/AIM type series with the odd Hero/Villain cameo.

There could be lots of teasers at characters without even showing them abit like Caps Shield in the Ironman movies or the artifacts in the Thor movie and the Orginal Torch in Cap Am.

I would prefer it to be more "street" Marvel characters doing reasonably fantastic things than "government agency vs. terrorists"-centric (though that could be part of it). So, starring guys like Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, Nighthawk, maybe lawyer She-Hulk, etc.

Yea i could see it going for street heroes because ABC might find them more "relate-able" and tv-style characters. That said i would prefer to see a SHIELD v. superterrorism show. Viper, Zola, surprise MODOK reveal, Winter Soldier following the film, it would wonderful. I would expect the Howling Commandos (descendants i guess??) would be involved too. Would just be wonderful.

• 1 month later...

I guess that my post will go unnoticed which is perhaps for the best because I've just finished watching 'Avengers Assemble' ....& I'm thinking I'm about the last person here (on earth?) who hadn't seen it.

I've said it many times but as no-one's reading this I'll say it once more.....the first US comic I ever read was 'Avengers #19' August 1965 & it was the latest issue fresh from the States & it was undoubtedly life-changing . That might imply that I haven't had much of a life....maybe .....but I loved this 'new world' I was reading about & this new movie would have been the stuff of dreams back then.

Well....as I said...now I've seen the movie & I feel ten years old again . What a movie !!!!!!

OK I've seen better movies but I can't get over how much this actually meant to me .

OK move on before I start blubbering.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Glad you enjoyed it. I got around to watching it at home and again enjoyed it myself. I'm not saying its without flaws but the good stuff more then compensates. After watching again I have to say all the Hulk stuff in the end battle has to be a high point of the movie for me.

OK I've seen better movies but I can't get over how much this actually meant to me .

Similarly, the main attraction for the Marvel movies--for me--has got to be the nostalgia element. I was into Spidey, Hulk, Superman, Batman, and Super Friends stuff from the age of 2 or so, and it never really left me. No, these movies aren't perfect. Nor are they perfect representations of the comic. But seeing those characters in live action is something I could not have even dreamed of as a kid, and it is a special thing. The nice thing about the Marvel movies (as opposed to the Nolan Batman movies) is that they usually get the vibe and feel of those stories right, which is pretty important. Even when I was a kid I knew that the Burton Batman stuff was not Batman to me, and though Nolan comes closer, DC still hasn't quite got the atmosphere of what Batman is in my mind right. But right out the gate, Avengers is a home run in that department.