UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walking Dead Minimates!

funkguerilla

It's a little harsh to put The Walking Dead in the same league as all the other zombie comics/books/movies/etc that have jumped on the bandwagon.

The Walking Dead stands head and shoulders above the rest because it's a story about the survivors. The zombies are secondary.

If you don't agree... you've got it wrong / you didn't get it. Stick with Marvel & DC titles.

But whatever, I like it and that's all I care about... well that and these AWESOME TWD MINIMATES!!

Invincible next please...!?

Totally forgot to put that in my rant... That's what I loved about Walking Dead, it wasn't focused on the zombies, they were secondary, if not further down on the list. It was all about how people suck and how much we rely on establishment. After remembering how much I loved the comics makes me hate that damn show even more....

PS Image is SOOOOOOO not on a higher intellectual plain than Marvel or DC not defending any side for which is better because they have all produced their own share of garbage.

But yes these mates are gonna rock.

Edited by ImABarRoomHero

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the Minimates and feel free to answer anything below Zach.

Looks like Rick will come with a few weapons. Apart from the handgun, he's carrying a weapons bag on his shoulder and he's got an axe hoop on his belt.

Extra hair piece and (blue shirt) arms?

Think Zach said the zombies are non specific. Well the one pictured looks a lot like the guy they found in the woods eating a deer. (vol.1)

Wonder if Carl will be significantly shorter than a normal Minimate? Is here any other way to reduces size apart from the "slipper" type feet?

Could this line potentially include vehicles? ie. Camper Van, Motorcycle or even a horse?

TRU, Speciality market, or both?

Excuse my language but I'm gonna buy the shit out of these guys!!

Let me start by saying, I'm a little indifferent to this news at the moment, but i dont want to post anything too negative, i'm still catching up with all the DC/Marvel stuff I want, plus, I actually haven't ever read the TWD comic or watched the tv show so I know absolutely nothing about the characters, i'm not a big horror or zombie fan so I can't see myself investing in this line (that could change though), I mean i've not seen the actual toy product yet in full so i think the smartest thing here would be for me to wait and see full pictures of the 1st release, if theres a character in there I want then sure i'll get them.

Keep in mind that i dont know all that much about the MvC3 stuff and my strength, albeit it mediocre lies with the SF and Marvel characters, i only ever played the first Resi Evil and the rest of the capcom characters i'm lost on, but i still invested in that line because i thought some of the minimates were cool looking, my best example was Arthur & Dante, never played either of those games and knew very little about them but because the Mates were well made I got them.

Finally, alot of you on this forum really seem to want this line/release, and judging by the response its overwhelming this line will be popular, the idea of an end of the world scenario where a few survivors are left battling hordes of zombies really seems to of caught on and to see everyone geniunely excited about this product can only be a great thing for DST and this forum.

Awesome news.

Rich

ask yourself whether civilians sell.

This one will.

I confess that I've never read an issue of WD & perhaps I should have curtailed my comment which was based on the characters I've seen in the TV show . Distinctive characters that people recognise is a different issue to civilians .......I will also admit to trying to get out of the corner I've now painted myself into :blush:

Hey Zach, thanks for making buying gifts for my mother-in-law so easy.

She likes Hugh Jackman, Star Trek, Universal Monsters, and scuba diving and GASP! I’ve been able to slap a bow on a minimate set representing all of those she can have a silly desk decoration to mess around with while on boring phone meeting or for her co-works to look over and say “Why haven’t they been sued by Lego?”

She’s having a Walking Dead party on Sunday so, hey, ‘nother year ‘nother easy Christmas gift!

This is great news for DST, but I can't shake the feeling that I would have much preferred Maximum Zombies.

Wait till you see the other zombies in the line. I picked the tamest, most standard one. The others get increasingly more horrific, and while I'm not sure how many are based on actual zombies in the book, they all look great. The team is trying to balance humans and zombies in the line, and I think they've found a mix that works. You need the civilians to move the line forward, so it's not just zombies, and I know that a lot of you WANT more civilians. Win-win. Plus, the comic designs have a lot of character to them, and that will come across.

I'm fairly confident I'll like the civilians in the line, or at least enough to make it worthwhile. And I'm sure the zombies will be fantastic. But I found the mix of horror and comedy suggested in the Maximum Zombie protos to be more interesting and a great fit for minimates. I suspect I'll pick up plenty of these anyway, just slightly less enthusiastically.

Wow... never thought it'd happen!

Time to join the completist ranks for this line, buy everything twice.

Great job DST!!

No Daryl. Remember, this is comics only.

Well...

Of course, fit The Governor anywhere you want, Zach. ;)

He's a hard sell as a toy, given his... villainy. But he's still a pretty major villain. We're debating it.

Oh c'mon... you gotta include the Governor. Darth Vader has done worse and he's a toy!

And if you check out the new teasers that have been appearing this week... could possibly be seeing Daryl sooner rather than later!?

I don't know man. Yeah sure he's (Vader) choked a couple of people to death, aided in blowing up a planet and killed a bunch on younglings (off screen mind you), but I'd much rather invite him to dinner instead of the Governor. That guy is one sick and twisted mother f@#%er. And we saw his action printed in black and white. *shudders*

I can see why DST might be a little hesitant about making a minimate based off a rapist / child molester.

Thanks for saying it out loud, Mini-Myte. Sorry, TM2.

Pete, I cropped out a bunch of accessories, but we'll have to see what makes it to production.

I think TRU is on board with these, yes.

And I wasn't sure about the zombies, but it's good to know they appear to be based on the book. Need to bust out my TPB.

These are comic only, no TV plans. But if Daryl Dixon wants to be in the comic, Kirkman's gonna do it.

On my way into the city for Toy Fair. Forgot my camera cord. Bollocks.

Sorry for the double post earlier. My S-M-R-T phone does not like the Multivere's reply forms. Typing blind. Fixed now.

Edited by Zach Oat

I'm not a big fan of Zombies, the Walking Dead, or Robert Kirkman. I'm actually selling all my Walking Dead books right now, because I've decided I just don't want to read the comic any more. And I think Kirkman's probably the worst writer in comics history, if you subscribe to my "talent/success" theory of mediocrity (which I do; I mean, it's my theory). Basically, he's gotten farther with less talent then any other writer in the history of comics. IMHO, of course.

But this is a big, big win for DST. This will no doubt be a success at both TRU and comic book stores (should they choose to go that way). Walking Dead, for better or worse, has become THE zombie property. So, hitching your wagon to this star will probably be much more successful then an in-house zombie line would be. And, hopefully, an Image/Skybound relationship will lead to some other properties in the future (I'll give you a tip: Hobgoblin's cape is perfect for Atom Eve).

So, congratulations guys. I'll only be buying these for customizing purposes, but I know I'll be in the vast minority.

I know where you're coming from completely dude. However, I refuse to go as far as to say that Kirkman is the worst comic writer in history (I save that slot for Frank Miller, yeah I said it). I feel that Kirkman is...I'll say mediocre to a little above average of a writer. What killed him was the new found zombie craze in which he received the tidal wave fanboy "I did this before it was so popular so I must be a God" treatment.

Walking Dead was (WAS) a solid book, had a decent story, a lot of suspense and he really did create some fantastic characters and a probably my favorite comic villain to date. Regardless of all that, I too slid off the zombie bandwagon. Mine was a little before Zombie Land came out. Growing up I had an unnatural fear of all things survival horror genre, and next to being taken over by the Russians my next fear was zombies.

The first time I witnessed a zombie walk full of emo kids, I officially dropped the mic and said "done". I refuse to be afraid of dead kids with tight pants. Lack of fear brought lack of any interest. Twenty plus years of fear down the tube just for it to turn into a lame Hot Topic fad.... Enough of my biography though, I am very excited to see these minimates be made.

Please DST keep them comic bound, pay no tribute to that abortion they call a TV show. They really do look great and I'm excited to display them proudly on their own shelf. I can't wait to have Tyreese meet Abraham, they will both have some Rick gossiping to do.

I suppose I should clarify my claim of Kirkman being the worst writer in comics history. I don't think he's LITERALLY the worst writer in history; that's likely somebody none of us have ever heard of (or JT Krul :biggrin:). But he's had the most success with the least amount of talent, and in my eyes great success/little talent= worst ever. For another example of this threory, the worst band in the world is likely someone none of us have ever heard of, but the worst band to achieve great success? Easy: Limp Bizkit. Thus, they're the worst band ever. Again, IMHO. :biggrin:

The best thing I would say about the Walking Dead comic is that it's engrossing (no pun... okay, pun intended). But it's not very well-written. It's totally devoid of subtlety or nuance, which I suppose a post-zombie world would be, but still. I picked up the first thirteen volumes in the discount book market, and by the time I was done I'd had enough. For one thing, some of the things Kirkman has done to children over the course of the series are just sick, and unnecessary, and I'm not sure aren't the sign of a diseased mind.

But, again, I know my opinions are in the vast minority.

That's what I loved about Walking Dead, it wasn't focused on the zombies, they were secondary, if not further down on the list. It was all about how people suck and how much we rely on establishment. After remembering how much I loved the comics makes me hate that damn show even more....

Funny, the opposite is exactly why I stopped watching the TV show, not enough zombies, too much "the humans are the real villains" BS melodrama. :rolleyes:

Agree with most of the sentiments here. Walking Dead is a great license for DST to get. Hopefully the cvilian/zombie ratios are 1:1. Slightly sad that Maximum Zombies are on hold, but sometimes you just have to go with the licenced stuff, especially in these troubled economic times.