UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Harry Potter kubricks

buttheadsmate

post-638-1298588550_thumb.jpg These kubricks now have a weird additional piece of packaging which envelopes each character which reminds me of the aprons that they wear in autopsy rooms :blink: This Jap fixation with packaging is almost beyond belief...you receive the parcel from Japan,you remove the string around the parcel,you remove the brown paper ,you open the brown shipping carton ,you remove the factory case from the carton,you sever the carton seal,you open the blind box,you remove the cellophane baggie,you open the baggie....& now you unravel the apron that surrounds the figure....you mutter the word meh! & then place the figure in its Medicom case & forget about it until you're broke & then you sell it :(

I love kubricks :no:

This Jap fixation with packaging is almost beyond belief...you receive the parcel from Japan,you remove the string around the parcel,you remove the brown paper ,you open the brown shipping carton ,you remove the factory case from the carton,you sever the carton seal,you open the blind box,you remove the cellophane baggie,you open the baggie....& now you unravel the apron that surrounds the figure....

Sorry, I clearly have nothing mature to add to the topic :P

But I do sort of agree what a weird complex the Japanese seem to have about their toys/collectibles; we're talking about the culture that pretty much revolutionized the blind-boxing & gashapon practice, because clearly just grabbing the one you want from a shelf just isn't challenging enough :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I know that most Minimate fans aren't interested in kubricks at all & personally I never really got into Harry Potter in any shape or form although I accept that millions love it so...........I'm surprised that the kubricks don't seem to have been that successful. I base that premise on the fact that a basic set is widely & cheaply obtainable. That might be just my interpretation of what I see on ebay but I still think it's strange.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I think weird Kubrick licenses that succeed (like Lost) do so because there aren't lots of other collectible stuffs around. Harry Potter probably has merchandise out the wazoo. As such, Kubricks are just one other thing people can buy or not buy.

I think weird Kubrick licenses that succeed (like Lost) do so because there aren't lots of other collectible stuffs around. Harry Potter probably has merchandise out the wazoo. As such, Kubricks are just one other thing people can buy or not buy.

Actually as far as action figures go with Potter, we Pottheads are limited to only a few options: Barely poseable statue like figures, LEGO, and these little bastards. My personal choice went to LEGO and honestly those sets kick ass. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to get some Potter toys. When the first, second, and third movies came out, there WAS merchandise out the wazoo. After that the merchandise went off into being LEGO, those f**king statues, and stuff like wands and robes. Yes. It did suck.

That said, I want nothing to do with Kubricks. Nothing at all. So I'm going to leave these out in the cold.

Well, if the first few movies had lots of merchandise, then there are options out there, even if they aren't from the most recent film(s). And most folks probably already got their fix that way. Most of the figures are of characters that I believe have recurring roles going back to the first film, so it isn't like the Kubricks bring much new to the table from that perspective.

Then, if there are LEGOs, then that's gonna satisfy most casual collectors who want little block figure versions of those guys I figure.

Forget the kubrick aspect of the thread ......do you think that the British factor plays any part in the lack of merchandise that Trekker alludes to? Since I started collecting toys a few short years ago I have become intrigued by the marketing side of the industry & my visits to SDCC have only confirmed how different our countries are in the perception of what will sell & who will buy it ?