UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Kubrick Talk

TBT!

Hey I would love to know if anyone here knows where a good and resonable place to get kubricks is. They obviously are no where near as cool as minimates but I have a Gambit kubrick and some Tron kubrick and I would die to get an iron man but whenever they pop up on ebay they are crazy expensive (I realize this was like series 1 or 2) but there are some cool looking kubricks I would like but I can never find a reasonable price for the size and not so poseability of the product.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice on Kubricks is first of all if you are a completist don't start collecting unless you have deep pockets. Kubricks are generally sold in blind boxes in cases of 24 & contain chase items ,like 'mates these fetch high prices. Secret chases ,which as the name implies aren't even advertised as existing, are included at a ratio of 1:96, these fetch stupid prices. So stick to the common figures & forget the chases & they're quite reasonable & fun. Kubricks are different to 'mates in many ways, I could elaborate but this a Minimates site . For the record I much prefer 'mates but some Kubricks are truly stunning ...check out the HMV exclusive Wolverine Kubrick. As for buying them they are sourced from Japan & I find that Asian ebay suppliers are very reliable & honest. Buy them in sets (often 6) & pay a little extra for the set + chase (7). Go for the secrets at your peril. I'd better stop now ,this is the Minimates Multiverse ,but if anybody wants any help ,ask away !

I just saw a regular Halo set (blue, red, green, clear) on ebay with a bid on it priced at $70, which is crazy as I just got the same set in the mail from BBTS the other day and paid $18 for it. I'm thinking the bidder thought that it was the variant set.

The cheeper Kubrick sets to get are those released in conjunction with American companies, the Halo set, Batman set (with Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Scarcrow, Mr. Freeze) and (I'm thinking but could be wrong) the X-Men set and Spawn. I've stuck to these mainly.

I saw this Halo set today at my LCS for £18. What a rip off! I'm well annoyed!

• 4 weeks later...

I have never bought any Kubricks, though the MGS and Muppets figures have attracted my interest now and again. . .but there is one Kubrick-related item that I think I absolutely have to have. It is crazy expensive, but. . .well, I think its one of the most awesome toys that I've seen in a long time:

http://www.hlj.com/product/MED30108

"Get away from her you bitch!"

They definitely need to get the Colonial Marines crew,

"Game over man, game over!"

I saw that Alien set at a Comic Con last Sat. I was tempted but it was £45 and I didn't actually have that much on me.

It's a nice set though.

WOW that is sweet! and you know minimates could fit in that, might be a little big but you could so make it work.

by the way if anyone is looking for the block type alien figure I would recomend the mizitz line over the kubrick. it has more detail and looks cooler.

File0056.jpg

there is also a perpetrator but alas i don't have it

I don't like how they are sold individually, and you have to open them to see whats inside. I much prefer the minimate two packs.

This may be a vague question, but which line is more successful. Minimates or Kubricks?

I like Kubricks, but don't collect but those I really like. I have the Universal Monsters, a complete set of Ultraman, a few Star Wars, a few Disney and a few Muppets. I also have a Kubrick vehicle I use with Minimates.

I'd like to get my hands on the black Halo set, but haven't found a store that carries them here.

Buttheadsmate, any toy talk is acceptable here as long as its in the correct forum. Hell, folks have been ranting on about those craptacular transformers for nearly a year now. <_<

This may be a vague question, but which line is more successful. Minimates or Kubricks?

As much as I am loathe to admit it, I would have to say the Kubrick line is more successful. It started in Japan and Japan loves their small collectables. The Kubrick has covered a far greater number of licenses and been able to produce more popular characters quicker. They have a very simple design which is barely modified for most of their figures. Thus enabling them the ablity to make new lines quicker based on its strength.

Kubricks or 'Mates ? If I had to choose I'd go for 'Mates . I collect both & as an insatiable completist there is the chance of 'completion' with Minimates. Kubricks are just so damned expensive unless you stick to the non-chase ,non-exclusive stuff. I have every Marvel Kubrick. These are ....I can't ever explain properly...different ,in so many ways other than articulation ,from Marvel Minimates. There is also something friendlier (perhaps mate-ier) about Minimates when compared to Kubricks . Kubricks are definitely innovative though & some of the Marvel Kubrick Secret Chases are iconic, I refer to specifically Peter Porker Spider-Ham,Doppelganger Spidey & Venom-Ham. These buggers would grace anybody's collection. I reckon I'm lucky to have these & my 'mates. I'll also apologise if I sound patronising when I keep on about cost but lets face it guys, it comes into it.

I also have a Kubrick vehicle I use with Minimates.

Would that be the Special Forces Vehicle?

Yes, my secret is out.

Minimates were born out of popularity of the Kubricks figures. In fact, early prototypes looked a lot like a Kubrick. Luckily, they went with a much more articulated design.

I moved house some months back & have just started to re-organise (find) my collections. Tonight I have been sorting through my Star Wars Kubricks. My love of Minimates is well-documented but I had forgotten (these have been in storage for some while) how wonderful some of these figures are. Check out the jedidefender web-site if you're interested.

• 4 weeks later...

post-638-1195383396_thumb.jpgpost-638-1195383445_thumb.jpgpost-638-1195383472_thumb.jpgpost-638-1195383500_thumb.jpgpost-638-1195383550_thumb.jpgpost-638-1195383631_thumb.jpgpost-638-1195383679_thumb.jpgpost-638-1195383713_thumb.jpgpost-638-1195383750_thumb.jpg

post-638-1195385738_thumb.jpg

I put this in another thread initially but I've decided that this should have its own thread . Kubricks are always being compared to Minimates which is, I feel , like comparing cats to dogs,they are so very similar but oh so very different. They are both block figures different in size & articulation , Kubrick is a hybrid word of the Romaji (Japanese) 'Ku (9) '& bricks . Kubricks are generally bigger than Minimates. My favourites in the Marvel line of Kubricks are Logan & Cap. My favourite in the Minimates Marvel line is the Symbiote Spiderman, simple .. iconic. The Kubrick version of the little black guy, like all there Spider-Man versions, are just ....sad. Kubrick Iron Man really grows on you as would the Hobgoblin if it didn't keep falling apart,an Osbourne family trait! Colossus (MM) would be awesome if he was Kubrick-size but he's not because of the Marvel licensing restrictions...come on Marvel ,sort that one out. Finally check out the Minimate version of Doctor Doom which in my opinion is stunning compared to the Kubrick Vicvondoodoo .....terrible.

post-638-1195383420_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Why does Wolverine have bigger boobs than Storm? That makes no sense at all!