UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Kre-O

pickle

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I haven't seen anyone else pop a Kreon head on a mate body I thought I'd pick up a blind pack to see how it would look.

Kreon_zps0b268996.jpg

This of course is just a proof of concept but with the big helmets making the heads look so large I think it is good enough to actually do a few drone type customs.

I'm sure in the hands of a customizer with the skills to design and apply decals they could make amazing Transformer Minimate customs out of them.

I got Waspinator. Eh...

Waspinator isn't so bad....of course, I love Beast Wars. You just have to make him unlike they tell you to in the instructions, so he takes advantage of the details that make him actually look like Waspinator. First, lose the repainted Jazz helmet, so you can see his bug face. Next, I took off the torso cover so you could see the chest with the Predacon symbol. Then I put that over his legs, and attached the wasp "butt" piece like it was coming from his waist, as it should be. You don't get the wings that way, but in my opinion, it makes it look much more like Waspinator.

• 1 month later...

So I put together a couple of small Kre-O sets finally, rather than just playing with the minifigs. And I must say, the quality is top-notch, feeling pretty much like Lego. The pieces snap together with no fuss and, unlike some other knock-off brands, stay together.

Now I'll be buying a larger set with a transforming build in it, just to check out that aspect of the engineering.

I suppose I should try snapping them to Lego and see how well they mesh. But overall, no complaints!

• 1 month later...

anyone in Canada happen to have the Orange Devy exclusive or want to go to a TRU and sang it for me? I would be willing to part with one of my Battle Beast Customs for him!

• 1 month later...

So I FINALLY found the Microchangers at UK retail, sadly not the preview wave so I guess I'm doomed to spend eternity without Galvatron and Scorponok

Picked up Bludgeon, Insecticon, Hook, Springer and Dirge.

I'm rather impressed, these might just fill the void the demise of WSTs left in my heart.

Dude, should've said something. Let me see what I can do, Ady.

I picked up most of the "phase 1?" Transformers sets on masssive discount at ToysRUs or on eBay the past few months. I like building them in robot mode and augmenting the build with our home stock of Legos. The quality of the bricks is very high, better than C3.

Even with the Kre-os, they still tend to not make all of the figures in about the right scale (this has been an issue since the original figures back in the 80's), but at least with the block sets, you can customize them to how you want them to look.

I have found a couple of websites for custom builds for Transformers, so Kre-os seems to fit in nicely within that sub-group amongst Transformers fans.

And yes, all of the Kre-on mnifigures are on my desk at work, sharing space with some Minimates.

Second wave Kre-Os themselves were much better than the first. You basically took the vehicle apart then placed the kibble on a block figure frame. This as oppossed to the first wave, which you had to do complete tear downs of either mode to get to the other.

Kreons on the other hand, are on of the neatest aditions to Transformers in AGES.

• 2 months later...

I just found the Star Trek Kreon blind packs. There are six different aliens to collect. I purchased seven blind packs at $3.49 each + tax. I opened them and got five of the six with two duplicates.

I got two Gorn, two Grasia, one Klingon, one Captain Nero, one Keenser. I am missing Lieutenant Sprog. I like the look of these compared to Lego. I hope to get the Enterprise and the other sets but may have to see if they go on sale or on clearence first.

I am holding out for the Star Trek Minimates to get released at TRU before I invest my limited funds in too many Kre-o items.

Happy Collecting.

Those figures have codes printed on the back of the bag, in this case across the top. Even if you don't know who each code signifies, if you buy one of each number you will get all six characters.

• 1 month later...

I just found Transformers Combiner Kreons at my local TRU. These are boxes that contain 4 of the Mico-Changer Kreons, plus you can combine them into one larger Transformer. Haven't put mine together yet, but it looks pretty cool.

• 1 month later...

I just found Transformers Combiner Kreons at my local TRU. These are boxes that contain 4 of the Mico-Changer Kreons, plus you can combine them into one larger Transformer. Haven't put mine together yet, but it looks pretty cool.

. I actually just picked up the Aerialbots and the Stunticons from my local Target on clearance for $3.28 ea. They are pretty cool but combined all though it looks cool the big guys are flimsy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The list for wave 4 of the Transformers Blind Bags are out - http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/kre-o-42/kreon-micro-changers-wave-4-new-image-and-character-reveals-178497/. Out of the ones in this wave, the only one I recognise and will get is Rodimus (although I do like the look of the helicopter to his right, whom I believe is Sandstorm).

In addition they've also released something called customs, which seems to be the mini-fig plus a lot of accessories to make them look more unique - http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/kre-o-42/kre-o-transformers-custom-kreons-released-178549/. I'm a bit annoyed as I've gotten my hands on a few of them loose and REALLY like how these look. I've yet to see them at a reasonable price online and I'm not sure if they're out in the UK yet/will get released there at all. I hope they do more waves of this as I love the concept and hope my personal favourite Autobot, Ultra Mganus, gets included in a future wave biggrin.png

• 9 months later...

So...

When I first saw these a couple years ago at SDCC, I thought "hey, that's pretty cool, especially those combiners, but... nah." The first couple waves released were pretty heavy on beast wars and later stuff, and I've always been a G1 fan. I've gone back and taken second looks over the past couple years, and my interest has grown, but it hit the tipping point when that Class of 1984 set was announced for SDCC. All of the classic G1 heavy hitters, in one box, for a very reasonable price. So, I decided to jump in. I bought a Defensor combiner set as an amuse-bouche...

and now, dammit, I'm hooked.

And, I'm getting to experience the sensation newcomers to Minimate collecting must feel – you can gorge yourself on so many figures that have been released already, not having to be patient or wait for new stuff, because everything is new to you. On the flip side, I'm also feeling the pain of hunting for older releases that are going for kind of crazy prices on the secondary market, or are seemingly impossible to find at all.

Ah, springtime for a collector... laugh.png

Edited by Lobsterman

Did you get the set they had at SDCC, Lobby?

EDIT: Never mind, reread your post. BTW, I have a good bit of the original Kreons that I've been debating selling or trading. You might be able to sweet talk me out of them.

Edited by hellpop