UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hello, I'm new to the site.

Hello Minimate Multiverse! I'm Douglas aka TimeTraveler.I been collecting Minimates for a while now, and loving it more and more each day. I'm a huge Back to the future geek, and when I heard Minimates had figures of them I fell in love at first sight. Though I was late to the game, so finding some of the sets has not be an easy task. Although BTTF was what got me into the mates, I have started collecting other sets as well. I am mostly into the cult classic type stuff. I'll soon post a wants and haves list. :)

I look forward to being part of the community, glad to see I'm not the only one hooked on these. Hope its okay to post my ideas and what not here in the forums. I look forward to meeting fellow Minimates fans, are there any other Die-hard BTTF fans around the site?

Thanks for adding me to the Minimate Multiverse, 88 MPH and beyond.....

~TimeTraveler

Let me be the first to welcome you TimeTraveler!

I too am a die-hard BTTF fan and like you, missed out on the first set. I'm working on making customs of Alternate 1985 Biff in his robe, Biff's gang, and just found a great non-minimate Einstein to fit in the Delorean. I posted it in my customs here: http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=10131&st=20 (scroll to the bottom)

Here's two of my favorite pics I took for the first movie along with Marty crashing into the Peabody farm, 1955.

post-3472-0-89459800-1330637832_thumb.jp

post-3472-0-37846600-1330637970_thumb.jp

In my spare time I dabbled around with a BTTF blog called Save the Clocktower: http://savetheclocktower.posterous.com/

Anyway, back to minimates- They are a great addiction to get into for the sheer custom potential they have if you're willing to take the time and put forth the effort. Don't have a character or hasn't been made yet? Odds are you can come pretty close to making your own by swapping parts and adding a little paint. Looking forward to your future posts and your want/haves list.

TimeTraveler, eh? Great can you go back in time and make a few changes in last years Marvel Minimates line up? Just a few minor tweaks here and there.

What?

Oh, heh, it's just a nickname since he likes BTTF. I totally knew that. Yeah. Totally knew that. I was just jokin' around. Heh.

Yeah...

So...

Welcome.

@Jeff

Thanks for my first welcome! Very nice to meet a fellow BTTF for sure...

I love the two pictures you posted, classic shots, Einstein looks very good inside the car, already curious to where you picked him up at lol. I'm just getting back home, and will check out your customs and blog.

Customs are something I have not really done yet, in fear of hurting my mates, but I am seeing that they are pretty customizable. I need to break my fear and venture into it, would be neat to come up with something. Thanks again for the welcome.

@TM2 Dinobot

Thank you, great to be here. :)

@buttheadsmate

lol alright I'll try to speak freely.

@luke314pi

This is heavy! You're all over the place. <3

@Mirymate

lol wish I could go back and get them really rare sets ;), Thanks for the welcome!

TimeTraveler-

I've got to ask: Which movie is your favorite? Have you played the Telltale BTTF game? Thoughts?

I picked up Einstein at my local Hobby Lobby near the model aisle. It comes in a long clear tube with a globe on top, the brand is called TOOBZ. There are several varieties of animals/objects/etc. perfect scale for minimates (at least the smaller animals anyway). I've been tempted to get the dinosaur fossil set just so I can make Jurassic Park customs.

@Bob Harris

Thank you, this place is great!

@Nessex

Thank you for the welcome.

@Jeff

I hold a close fondness for the original, as it was the film they took the most time with for details and what not. I however seem to have always been drawing to BTTF2 for the sole purpose of traveling to the future has always captured a unique perspective for me. Who doesn't love them hoverboards and that colorful, cool lookin' future? Would be a very close toss up between the two. Original does stand out on its own in a lot of ways for me..

A bit of story behind the game for me, first off, nope I haven't gotten to play it sadly. I remember when they were releasing episodes for the computer one, ran into some trouble getting my download to work (on dial up internet) even tried the free episode and had no luck. Just recently I saw they have it on PS3 & Wii, but I am really debating on what platform to get the game. I am thinking maybe stick with the original pc version? The game looks amazing though in every review/ pictures I saw.

After my post I started in on your custom work, found that shop with the tubes online. I am about to get my order in for that set, unless I can find it at my local hobby store this morning. Thank you for the heads up on that, very detailed looking Einnie! Love your Jurassic Park idea, I bet some neat custom could actually come from these dino tubes.

Side note, I feel in love with your Goonies/Twilight zone customs! Just the other day I was thinking both these would be great to have in Minimates form. Been a long time fan of Twilight zone and The Goonies, so was really nice to see custom work in that area. Keep up the good work!

TimeTraveler-

Thanks for the kinds words. As for the Telltale game, I'd go the PC route. Not sure how well a point and click adventure would translate into 'repeated fun' on a game system (I'm a button masher myself). I was on the fence about getting the whole game- then one day I watched the ending on youtube. Oops. Still, an amazing effort put forth by all involved and so happy to actually get a BTTF game that wasn't awful (NES I'm looking in your direction). A nice extra slice of the bttf pie...

Happy to hear you like the goonies. I've slowly been gathering parts for the rest of the Fratellis gang and Sloth. I even bought the minimate pirate ship and put together a one eyed willie mate. Slow going, but I get so side tracked with customs (Goonies/Twilight Zone/BTTF/Amalagam/Age of Apocalypse/Eternal Champions/Spider-Man animated 90's series/Ghostbusters/JP). Plus- I have a very active 10 month old daughter who I love like crazy. It's a fine balance to spend time with both and not rush things. Plus, the wife acknowledges the hobby, but isn't a geek like me. Hence all my ramblings to everyone on the forums here. You guys and gals are my creative outlet for critiques and praise. I love it.

My minimate collection has grown over the years- I now have several storage tackle boxes full of arms/legs/torsos/accessories. It's great to have everything organized and at my finger tips for a quick custom brainstorm. For the pieces I'm missing or wondering if they have made I check out this site: http://minimatedatabase.com/

The search bar at the top narrows it down and really helps out in a pinch. The 360 turnarounds of each figure along with alternate views with pieces removed is a bonus if I'm questioning buying a figure or set.

Yes this BTTF game was truly long waited by the fans, lol as you stated NES just didn't do it justice. I agree though, a point & click game on console wouldn't be as entertaining as the things they dish out these days. For computer though I think its a perfect fit, I gotta get myself to buy it soon.

Yes them Goonies are right up there with BTTF for me honestly, its them 80's movies that made me who I am today lol. I really hope DTS can get the rights to them one of these days. I figure they would be a hot item in the minimates world. That is cool you didn't just stop with the kids and have plans for Fratellis/Sloth, and the pirate ship idea is genius! A lot of potential for the Goonies set. I'm really curious to how your One eyed Willy turned out ;)

Twilight Zone, another minimates series that could go a long ways in the minimate universe. With over 150 episodes, I can see a massive amount of sets honestly. I like where you started though, Serling is a must, and Bemis is another Hallmark piece.

Aww that is sweet you have a 10 month old, I miss that stage! I know the feeling on trying to keep with the hobby and also give the kids that much needed time as well. I have a 8 year old girl and 6 year old boy, who are always interested in my minimates, I have had to buy them a few sets to tide them over. Probably turning them into lil' minimate monsters lol. That is great though you still keep up with the hobby and have a wife that's understanding of your minimates needs :) I'm not sure what mine thinks of me at times, I guess like you said, she is not into like me, but she does keep an interest in it for my sake I suppose.

Oh I ran into that database a few times, and you're right... Its great to have 360 views on the mates, I searched a lot of sites to find views like that. Thanks for the heads up on it! The tackle box idea I like the sounds of that, nice and easy way to store/organize. I wonder what the fishermen would say about that one, lol.