UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Tarot Witch of the Black Rose minimates

LDroome

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was being funded by the makers of the comics themselves?

Perhaps they saw how low the pre-orders were and thougt it wasn't worth it.

Shame - i really wanted that blonde hairpiece for a Magik custom.

well this sucks i like others realy wanted these

I thought this was being funded by the makers of the comics themselves?

Perhaps they saw how low the pre-orders were and thougt it wasn't worth it.

That's what I initially thought, as well, but given that it was ultimately being made available for pre-order through various outlets, their anticipated scale of production must have gone well beyond that of, say, Goth Girl.

Luke, can you confirm DST have canceled this set?

I talked to the folks at the Tarot booth at SDCC, and they seemed pretty confident it was going forward. Seems like they would have known at that point if the plug was being pulled. Or maybe they were just counting on a huge wave of preorders at the con...

Heh. I feel pretty special knowing I was one of, what, 200 people who would put down money for this set. <_<

---

I see it's been pulled down from Luke's site, so... yeah...

Edited by Lobsterman

Luke, can you confirm DST have canceled this set?

I talked to the folks at the Tarot booth at SDCC, and they seemed pretty confident it was going forward. Seems like they would have known at that point if the plug was being pulled. Or maybe they were just counting on a huge wave of preorders at the con...

Heh. I feel pretty special knowing I was one of, what, 200 people who would put down money for this set. <_<

---

I see it's been pulled down from Luke's site, so... yeah...

Yep, this is officially canceled from DST. The only remaining possibility I can see is that the Tarot folks might be planning on distributing these some other way? That doesn't make much sense though, as all of the other Tarot products are available through Diamond.

I don't know if I agree with Groundhog on this. Keep in mind that not only were these Minimates based on independent comics, they were specific types of independent comics--those with scantily dressed women who engage in violent acts (if I understand that correctly--I've never read a single issue of anything the Indie-Mates or Black Rose 'Mates were based on apart from that link posted earlier in this thread). There are other indie comics out there that might garner more interest. Thinking to the Marvel Legends-type Indie 'Mates as well as the current Shockini series, there is Tick, Dick Tracy, Maxx, Madman, Conan (I don't think Marvel holds the license anymore), Scud, and various other characters that look more interesting (in my opinion), and are probably far more well known than whomever those chicks in the Indie-Mates box set were.

Beyond that, I suspect that fans of of busty, scantily clad female comic characters aren't all that interested in seeing them represented as 2 inch block toys. They probably want curvy statues and conventional, highly sculpted, articulated toys.

Edited by karamazov80

Well, for one, if part of the appeal of some of these characters and the first indie set is the busty superheroine, that doesn't translate well to flat-chested Minimates.

I guess my thinking is is that DST has avoided indie mates since the first failure and now this-I think they'll stay away from them for a while. I hope I'm wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Shame I was looking forward to these much more then say other stuff that was cancelled (Godfather etc). I know nothing of the comics but I thought the skeleton style guy was a cool looking figure.

I'm only just now reading this and am disappointed as well. Yes, those "busty" characters don't necessarily translate well to MiniMates, but I would have bought them. I also didn't really care about Godfather or Beverly Hills Cop MiniMates, but would have bought those just because they are MiniMates.

I'm not surprised they were cancelled, but it does sting a bit. Doesn't hurt nearly as bad as the DC MiniMates though, and because someone brought up Power Girl, that's where my mind went... :yucky: